Hey,

So I was playing the beta abit, and had the following thought:

Some special pre-built scenarios would actually be pretty cool.

It seems like it would be pretty cool to have this to set up special circumstances to bring across some of the more unique issues you can face in the game, or even get the world fleshed out some more. It could even open up the opportunity for some community made maps.

Against that: It is a departure from how these games function, to the best of my (admittedly not exhaustive) knowledge, none of the x-com games or their spiritual successors have had pre-set scenarios.

And, the most stumbly of stumlbing blocks, dev Resources. I'll admit, I have no idea how the engine works and neither can I claim to be a master coder or mapper, but im sure that developing these would take resources that the team more than likely doesnt have (at the moment at least) - even making the tools available for release would be the same.

In any case, I heartily endorse the endeavours of the dev team :)

It's still in alpha. havent hit beta stage yet. :P

I'm not sure i understand what you mean by prebuilt senarios? you mean like "retrieve this object" or some such? I think aftershock had 1 or 2 maps like that. Guess they figured out the flaw with that. If you run too many they are going to feel very booring and repetetive, and more then 2 are too many.

There were a few "destroy theese buildings in afterlife that worked repeatedly though. Problem is you need acctual alien buildings and not just crashed ships or alien bases then since you're going to kill everything anyways in those missions. Now that i think about it X-com apoc had destroying buildings in the late part of the game.

There are more mission objectives planned for the game as on the Ground mission start screen it has sections for Primary and Secondary objectives, there just aren't any Secondary ones yet.

I could see certain event driven missions working pretty well and if they were rare they wouldn't get too repetative.

Couple of quick ideas:-

- You have an aircraft shotdown but the crew have survived. You must rush to rescue the downed pilot/survivors of the helicopter crash before the aliens get them. Basically a normal map but with a pilot/soldiers somewhere on the map instead of a crashed UFO and a number of aliens from a landing party trying to kill/abduct them. Kill all the aliens, save the crash survivors.

- The UFO you shot down was transporting abductees. Discovered upon searching the crashed UFO. The normal "capture the UFO" objective is extended a number of turns and more aliens spawn. You have to hold out and protect the abductees long enough to drive the aliens off.

To be honest I had a feeling that may be the case, considering my initial thoughts were pretty obvious ones they were bound to have been suggested before and either been looked into or seen as unworkable/not fitting.

The most important thing in regards to the thread though is there are plans for more objectives.

:D

I wasnt thinking of specific objective battles (though there's no harm in them either) I was thinking more along the lines of the special cities from the original Sim City. You take control at a critical point in the conflict, with the organisation facing difficult odds. The game plays along as normal then, from the starting conditions

Examples:

Scenario 1: You start off with 10 well positioned and stocked bases, but a financial collapse among the funding nations means you cant afford to keep all of them running. You're forced to cut costs dramatically but preserve the funding nations so when they recover they will resume funding

Scenario 2: You have 1 base, and are barely hanging in the fight against the aliens, but by a stroke of luck you've discovered a piece of highly advanced technology, you need to research it and use it to even the odds