m79 granade launcher??

I would be more interested in adding something like the little wireframe grenade-holders of WWII, that would use blanks to propel hand grenades at enemy positions: It would allow you to use generic hand-grenades as ammo, and likely be slightly more balanced.

(I have a weapon that will have this trait when clip-size becomes a magazine trait.)

yeah,the idea is not to tweak the game but increase realism..the granade launcher could be easily balanced..ex x2 granade range but 3/4 or 1/2 the damage of the granade(it fires the std 40mm granade)with a straight fire(not curved like mortar or howitzer) because the idea of equipping an entire squad with M79 mean the creation of a mobile artillery position..

yeah,the idea is not to tweak the game but increase realism..the granade launcher could be easily balanced..ex x2 granade range but 3/4 or 1/2 the damage of the granade(it fires the std 40mm granade)with a straight fire(not curved like mortar or howitzer) because the idea of equipping an entire squad with M79 mean the creation of a mobile artillery position..

It could be implemented as curved if you allowed the aliens to have a simlar tech (plasma grenade launcher) which you later research into. You could also include underbarrel upgrades but would no doubt have to increase the hit points of everything ground related and rework the damage settings. It was implemented well in the After***** trilogy.

Hand grenades have a TU cost of 20, + 12 if your hands are full.

And accurate launcher that fires what are basically handgrenades, at a TU cost of 30+4 (Reloading) for an accurate shot, wouldn't be imbalanced:

We have a rocket launcher that laughs at our hand grenades already...

I feel a totally realistic design for a tube based grenade launcher would be too bland, but still xenonauts.

Edited by WalrusJones

• 2 weeks later...
Grenade launcher is easy to balance IMO (just look at Jagged Alliance 2): Long range, but clumsy reload, small grenade (less effective than hand grenade), inaccurate... OTOH with option for "beehive" round for close-in work.

They would also have to give the m79 a different scatter formula ... 50% chance to go long/short as opposed to a random scatter in any direction. A longer range shot might tend to lean towards an overshot.

Also, they would need to have a min range which should be about 10 tiles since that's about average throwing range for a hand grenade and the m79 was developed for use beyond throwing range. The min range would be helpful for the AI when using a weapon with a damage radius unless of course we all think the AI doesn't care about self preservation.

JA2 is a very different game and its grenade launcher doesn't even have a high arc of fire (behaves more like a direct fire weapon), it's almost the same as the Xenonauts' missile launcher in fact so there's little point to it except for flavour.

To be truly different it'd need to me more like JA2's mortar which, as mentioned many times before, is contrary to intended game design.

JA2 is a very different game and its grenade launcher doesn't even have a high arc of fire (behaves more like a direct fire weapon), it's almost the same as the Xenonauts' missile launcher in fact so there's little point to it except for flavour.
I was just using the M79 in JA2 last night (very nice.) The animation lobs the grenade in an arc then it hits the ground and bounces forward. So, I'm not sure I agree with you. That being said, I didn't try to fire OVER anything. All I know is it a very effective weapon in JA2.

I was just thinking about this, too. 40mm grenades would have a much better flight characteristic than a standard thrown grenade, but they would have a smaller bang. Notably, the M-203 40mm grenade launcher was introduced in 1968.

Although I have no idea if the game has any code for variable fire modes. Seems like all you would need to do is add another mode onto the end when you right-click through the various modes, just add one that's grenade launcher.

The M70 later underbarreled to the M16 and variants as M209 have the same killing range and rate as hand grenades, but goes further and once armed allow a faste shot but slower to reload compared to a re-lob.

The ammo need 1second of flight o be armed + - 20 meters (lets say the nade blast radius+1 tile) and can reach up to 150m.

The ammo are:

HE, High explosive

IN, Incendiary

EX, Fragmentation

SM, Smoke

I suppose there s probably more than that those are classic ones (Orange agent, Sarrin gas, etc).

To be really usefull in this game, beyond flavor, without overpowering it, it would have to have straight line of shooting, minimum range, high scatter probability from yellow on, M16 range, 1 shot per round.

This would make it usefull at a very restrict range, but very usefull in this range and it would avoid a M79 squad due to bad medium and long range and no point black firing.

Anyone knows how grenade precision is calculated in this game as there s no nade skill ? It would have to use the same skill.

I was thinking it would be nice to have an M-79, since I find that the rocket launcher is sometimes "too much" and a thrown grenade is "not enough"

Indeed but a lot of aliens can take a full rocked in the chest and keep walking. (until alenium maybe, haven t got there again yet.)