cover system

great game and its unfinished so its only gonna get better. but i would like to see the cover system of the other new xcom game implemented in this game, its more realistic that your guys can shoot from cover instead of having to go out of cover to shoot, other then that it looks good and i hope it have more maps then the firaxis game.

Have to agree with you on all your points. Although I'd assume the cover system just isn't finished.

Would like to add something else though. The items you can take cover behind need their health increased. Currently all the brick/concrete cover items get destroyed in one turn. Even by one plasma hit sometimes.

Shooting from cover, in the manner you described, will not be in the game.

You can fire from behind cover, as in, you are standing behind cover and fire over it, but leaning out from behind full cover (like a full height wall, a corner, etc) will not be in the game. This is because a) it makes you able to fire without (much of) a risk of being exposed, and thus the aliens would have to get this ability as well, making life even more of a hell for your ground troops, b) because it would take hundreds of new sprites being rendered, painted, and programmed in, and c) because it just sounds too pansy, honestly. It's not a cover shooter, it's an X-Com remake. There was no cover shooting in the original X-Com.

That's what I like about you guys. You're somewhat honest about it. Just don't have the time. Although, you can't honestly tell us that more tactics(prone-shooting and cover-shooting etc..) and better AI are honestly a bad thing. Maybe for Xenonauts 2? :) Granted, the AI could be a hell of allot worse than it is. It's actually quite good in comparison to some other games. Does need to be a bit more aggressive though instead of camping the whole time.

Besides the poor aliens really need accuracy lessons in their currant state. Then cover and prone-shooting wouldn't feel so OP ;) And honestly, weapon ranges\ammo limitations will always force you out of cover and troops advancing. With aliens that are AS bad ass as they really should be, we'd need those options is what I'm trying to say. Aliens with longer ranges, better accuracy, and come in larger numbers than our troops would also server to bring back the "fear factor" that imo, is still lacking.

But hey this is all talk for another time right?

There *is* 'cover shooting' in the game. You just have to do it manually (and given the TU system, that's exactly as it should be). The Firaxis game needed their mechanic for full-cover because of their move-action system; Xenonauts doesn't need it because action is more gradiated.

There *is* 'cover shooting' in the game. You just have to do it manually (and given the TU system, that's exactly as it should be). The Firaxis game needed their mechanic for full-cover because of their move-action system; Xenonauts doesn't need it because action is more gradiated.

True, there is cover shooting but it's fairly broken and inconsistent. Can't shoot over kneeling troops in front of standing troops (but it does safely work for reaction firing. reasoning?). The percentage to "HIT" your own cover and therefore destroy it is just laughable and not needed. Although it's like this for aliens to, it just isn't needed. Aliens have a hard enough time the way it is, the IA scripting doesn't seem to have aliens stand and fire behind cover at all. So they just destroy their own cover constantly. Not to mention, they are always shooting each other in the back which is another topic entirely lol. Think about it though, these are aliens vs soldiers, not kids playing cowboys and Indians. Just how bad of a shot are these so called leet soldiers and aliens that they can't shoot over their own cover?

And to be fair, this game, at it's worst, in unfinished state, is better than Firaxis's so-called remake as far as strategy games go. Hardly even a shadow of the original X-COM's. It shouldn't even have the same name. A watered down, incredibly linier, trivialized mess. The only difficulty relied on overly accurate and overpowered aliens with random one shotting of your squad members. More like a board game just rolling the dice than a strategy game.

Edited by 200down

Just how bad of a shot are these so called leet soldiers and aliens that they can't shoot over their own cover?

"Leet?" Looks like someone didn't read the background story on the website. These soldiers are washouts and glorified security guards when the game starts. Learn to use the cover system in-game, and they get better. Don't learn, and like you said, the new recruits keep shooting each other in the back.

http://www.xenonauts.com/ Here's a nifty little website you can access to find out about stuff like that background story etc... Hope that clears a few things up.

Very odd, because I've yet to be able to shoot(while standing) over a crouching troop. No joke. Unless you guys are talking about the troop standing is actually on higher ground or something? We must be talking about two different games or I'm in the twilight zone lol.

Very odd, because I've yet to be able to shoot(while standing) over a crouching troop. No joke. Unless you guys are talking about the troop standing is actually on higher ground or something? We must be talking about two different games or I'm in the twilight zone lol.
The standing soldier has to be directly ajacent to the crouching soldier to shoot over him

..and, you have to be playing V19 builds. By the way, there is no elevation implementation in the game, except for the buildings.

Ahh, maybe that's the problem. Can't remember if I was only one tile behind or maybe 2-3. It always showed 100% to hit the guy in front. Although I've modded the accuracy on weapons so much that maybe that screwed with it somehow. Thanks guys. I'll pay more attention next time when the new version gets released. Hopefully a more "stable version". Given up tell then. The terrain levels I was talking about was just when exiting the drop ship(ramp). Although, there are so many graphical oddities that it almost seems there are different "levels", especially on the farm maps with all the screwy hedgerows.