I'm pretty sure 80% of my air combats and chases end with my jets running out of fuel and having to leave prematurely.

Any chance of having a larger tank for the jets?

It's quite awful, especially with the habit of zigzagging UFOs have.

Possible solution that wouldn't break the game: Stop jets from using up fuel in air combat.

They use it at the same rate as they do on the world map and I bet the air combat map is smaller..

It's not a game-breaker but it is very annoying!

Edit:

Five air combats in a row my jets have run out of fuel.

I've got 3x F17 2x MIG at base1, 2x F17 at base2 and 1x F17 at base3..

No matter where I spot the UFO none of my planes will reach it before running out of fuel :(

Planning to get four full wings of F17 F17 MIG eventually.

Edit2:

Six.

Edit3:

Seven, with one successful air combat in between..

Edited by PaladinFury
More information

I don't mind the odd flight patterns as much as the fuel consumption in air combat..

Using the half their fuel to get to the target and 25% of it in air combat is rather annoying :)

They seem to be consuming fuel at the same rate (fuel per pixel, if you will) as they do on the map screen.

Zero fuel consumption in air combat and I'll be a happy xenophobe :D

p.s. Xenophobia as in fear of the xenos, not fear of anyone different from me.

Edited by PaladinFury
brainfartfix

Well combat fuel consumption is meant to be quite high. It'd be meaningless otherwise. It does need balancing though, admittedly. The values can be changed in gameconfig.xml if people want to do that, and aircraft ranges in aircrafts.xml.

I think adding the the intercept course on the Geoscape will ease the problem a lot, though, because aircraft burn a lot of fuel randomly chasing the UFOs when they catch up with them. I'm not going to do the balancing myself until that's in place, as it'll throw everything off when we implement it.

Pretty sure there won't be larger squadrons/combat zones (except maybe for special missions) since air combat is supposed to be resolved very quickly (else it'd get too repetitive) since you'll be fighting a lot of interceptions.

The design philosophy is that ground combat is still the "meat" of the game. Air battles are supposed to be improved over X-Com's but still remain a quick "mini game".

yeah 3 ships from either side is the max. I do agree on the larger area size, ideally you want to shoot the ufo down, so perhaps just having ships escape after moving a certain distance from their pursuers would be best, then you could have infinite screen size. If you want that ufo, you have to chase him down though...

Its a bit of a balance issue, since if you have to get a certain distance away from the enemy, sometimes (especially early on) you won't be able to actually retreat due to the UFO's being as fast or faster than your own ships. That or running out of fuel.

Could be worth expanding the map though, especially if the UFO's scale in size like they did in EU and TFTD.