Calisthenics -- I /HATE/ them

You will have for TUs, and for strength if you keep your soldiers carrying as much as they're able. Those ones are easy. Accuracy's probably the one that actively irritates me since there aren't nearly enough enemies to go around earlier on. If nothing else comes out of this thread other than the accuracy requirements going down dramatically, I'll be happy.

If stopping skill gain by doing mad things like running round the chinook with a full pack or deliberately missing an enemy is the plan, and the fix is reduce it to 1 per mission flat, its the only idea i can think of that will not reduce gameplay and depth in any way. If anything it will add more.

Anyone able to expand on the idea or something entirely different? Im all for fixing these actions, its great that the system lets you gain skill by action but it shouldnt go over the top to ruin immersion.

Another possibility is to in some way enable x amount of say

: crouch while encumbered to gain str

: player targeted hits increase accuracy

: reaction fire mode hits to increase reflexes

edit 1:39: small bravery increase per survived mission (maybe 1 extra if wounded, enough for a small gain but not worth trying to get them wounded on purpose)

It would be better suited to max soldier stat cap to be a high figure so you can balance the gains. In a way it should take care of itself, as in those who get wounded, miss shots, will spend time in sickbay if not dead. You will hopefully end up with the odd Rambo if he has plenty of luck too. If you want the stat max cap to remain a low figure and gains to be 1-2 it could still work by a mix of balance. Skills like TU/STR could be done by doing so many of said achievements (lets call them, though not visual to the player).

While other skills like acc/reflex/bravery are decided by random battle scenario events(eg successfully hitting and enemy while set to reaction fire which adds to reflex) and set this to, say 5 max per so the last 2 soldiers who managed to escape/pull you through at the last minute get rewards.

Daamn i hope that makes sense, im not sure..;) its late.

/Discuss:confused:

Another edit 02:01: This could also shift the power-grind from full pack to power-focusing on charging 1 or two crazy ass grunts into the battle trying to kill as many solo as possible(if he survives he has earned his power armour, is how i used play the transition from basic to good if limited). If you prefer not to power-anything then dont, youll still gain soldier skill in certain ways as each battle progresses via the odd soldier getting double/triple kills.

ok enough, time for some Zz, hope the ideas are worthy of consideration.

Edited by Revoke

The only realistic way I see of fixing this is to cap skill gains per mission at a level where the average player would get them through normal actions, and doesn't have to do anything extra to level his guys up beyond that.

That's what Ol' Stinky's XP Mod does.

Basically automatic skill increases per mission.

In Contribution-Based Stat Increases and Promotions (yet another attempt) I set up a system that would

1. reward a soldier's "mission contribution" instead of giving automatic skill-ups

2. advance soldiers depending on what role they are playing in a mission.

A sniper gets more accuracy training than a machine gunner or grenadier but doing situps in the Chinook does absolutely nothing.

Would changing accuracy so that hitting a target gives more progress towards skilling up than just shooting does be unbalancing? Say hitting an alien is worth twice as much as just shooting at one? That would reward more efficient play, but would have the risk of higher accuracy troops continuing to gain more accuracy faster which might not be ideal.