Introduction thread!

Chris

Hi there crazy forum posting types

I had UFO:Enemy Unknown (as my copy was called) back on my dad's computer as a kid, and loved it. I remember having the demo - I think it was just a terror mission? It definitely had Chryssalids. I think I played that hundreds of times before I finally saved up enough pocket money to buy the game.

Then, a few months ago I bought a bunch of developers catalogues on steam during some american holiday sale. Just a couple of weeks ago I spotted that the x-com series of games was included in one of those packages. Sleep deprivation ensues.

I mention this to my brother, who had heard about the X-com FPS coming out. I thought "that sounds a bit rubbish", but I did a search for it anyway and found Xenonauts. Pre-order ensues.

Go Goldhawk, Go!

Anyway, in spite of what this post reads like, I tend to just be a forums lurker, but we shall see.

To my great surprise I found this introductory thread here today... I've seen its title a couple of times before, but for some reason I guessed it was more of a Goldhawk members thread, and so I never came around to check it out. I have already posted some comments around and feel a bit strange introducing myself now, as it really should have been the other way around... But here goes!

I am a die-hard fan of the old X-Com series. I especially played the old TFTD to death and beyond, and really enjoyed it!

But I have played all the X-Com named games and liked them all up to and including interceptor, though not as much as the formerly released ones.

I come from Norway, and so in these kind of games I always place my first base so that it at least has radar range covering my country :)

I was to a low degree active in the old forum under the same name, but mostly a lurker as I normally am. So far I would count myself as pretty active on this forum (for better or worse) But we shall se what the future holds! Wish the team good luck, and can't wait to try the latest build out when I return to base! uhm.. I mean home :o

...Also I am a 10-foot lobsterman from T'Leth who will one day rule the world!

Hello Folks,

My name is Vladislav and I am from Bulgaria.

I am working as a TL of two accounting teams, so I don’t have too much time for enjoying the game….

However, seeing such wonderful game which is so close to the original X-com series makes me real happy.

Like Lobsterman, I've posted a few times before actually introducing myself. Since I really like the project and the community however, I see myself being pretty active here and thus introducing myself makes sense. I lurked like hell on the old forums (made a couple of posts but read thousands) but I'm gonna try my best to participate now.

I'm an IT systems analyst for a large-ish housing group in Cornwall, UK. My favourite games are Perfect Dark, UFO: EU, X-COM TFTD, Flashback and Quake. I didn't care for X-COM Apocalypse, Interceptor, Enforcer or the UFO trilogy. However I did enjoy Chaos Concept's UFO Extraterrestrials and am looking forward to the sequel to that game due next year. Not as much as I'm looking forward to Xenonauts though - not by a long shot.

Anyway, see you folks around the forums. :)

Hello.

I've heard about this for quite sometime, it's only recently that I've gotten around to actually purchasing the game.

Generally, I'm into Strategy games, FPS, RPGs and other types genres(but not JRPGs I can't stand them).

Also, when will I get my shiny pemium badge? c:

Edited by CampinCommander

Hello everybody,

I got a glimpse of this game a couple of weeks ago. I loved X-Com, Jagged Alliance, Commandos and shit, so I took a deeper look. Lurked around the forum, checked out TotalBiskuits preview with you guys. And after lurking for a few weeks more I felt a lot of joy. I mean basicly I am waiting for like 10 years now to finally get something like X-Com. I played X-Com 1-3 and Jagged Alliance a lot of times. And I got some joy out of the mods for JA2 (Wildfire and the 1.13 thing). I hated most of those other "X-Com-like" games because they missed the atmosphere and were flawed in story and design (also turnbased is the only way to do it right). So know I have ordered the Alpha and took a short look and I feel like home (or more or less 12 again). So this is my way to say thank you. Hopefully I will spent as much time on this as I did on the above mentioned titles. But even if you just make this half as good, its still way better then everything that got out in the last years. Keep up the work and please don't rush it. Just make it right :P

Oh before I forget: Is there anyway chance that you will do a game like Dungeon Keeper or Syndicate after this? That would be totally awesome :P

Chris has said he'd want to redo syndicate properly... he definitely doesn't want to do Xenonauts 2 right away =p

You just made my day you know? :P

God I hate what fucking EA is doing to syndicate. They just wanna jump on the Deus Ex plane and I bet 1.000.000 € that they will do it totally wrong.

Hello community

I'll start of with a review I gave on Desura when I rated the game. I gave a little bit of information about myself.

I used to be an FPS gamer with no sense of direction. Later on I got into realistic games because of BF2:PR and Arma 2(with addons). I loved those games because it had actual teamplay and was indepth but not for the sake of complexity. Since then I've been trying to find games that are not shallow.

Never played an X-COM game before I recently got intrigued by its concept of shooting down enemy ships and trying to capture live aliens and their ship to research better tech. I was not however willing to go into the classic X-COM games themselves because they looked too archaic.

Hearing only bad things or semi-good stuff from other X-COM inspired games I never jumped into franchises like UFO. I did however stumble upon this little gem in the works by Goldhawk Interactive.

This game delivers more than I expected from an alpha game. The gpx are a blast form the past with their 2D appearance. It didn't look like a 3D mess the UFO games are. I'll describe it as a game that you can feel nostalgic about if it was made a decade ago. The tiles ingame are actually 3D but painted over by a 2D artist.

The soundtrack hits the spot for me and I am eager to hear more. The Geoscape sounds dreary but suspensfull. Perfect for the leader of an anti-alien organisation. The battlescape music isn't going for adrenaline rush but rather stays in the background which is perfect. It doesn't stand out like a sore thumb but sounds uneasy, the aliens are there waiting for you.

As a contrast the music played when you engage into air-combat feels like you are there in the pilot seat even though it only shows up as a couple of blips on your map. I actually felt engaged to micro-manage my fighters to give them their edge over my opponent. All I can say about the soundtrack is that it "felt right". Suspensfull but moody at times if that makes any sense.

The artstyle ingame and the pictures in the Xenopedia are of high quality stuff. I'd pay to see more but Goldhawk is doing that for me. The only thing that stands out are the bad portraits for the soldiers in the soldiers tab. Hopefully they will get the same treatment as their Xenopedia brethren. But when on the Battlescape the soldier portraits have the same color palette as the tiles.

I will have my eye on this game as it grows. Godspeed GHI!

ADD style:

GPX: Love the 2D style

Music: Immersive

Artstyle: Amazing -> Xenopedia and concept art

All I am waiting for is the research tree that is going to be in the next patch. Because I think research is half the fun of an X-COM game.

I'm thinking of doing a small LP of this game to add to the small amount of Xenonauts videos on YouTube. Just as a side note I would like to add that I've got an LP of Conquest: Frontier Wars if any of you played that game.

Hi Im Dave from Sydney, Australia. Ive only just discovered the introductions section on the forums. Its not because its hard to find, its because I havent looked very hard. I wasnt very active at xenonauts.com, but i hope to be a bit more local here, now I've a bit more time. UFO: Enemy Unknown was the first pc game I ever played. My oldest memory is finally being able to successfully extract a zip file of the game that I managed to pull off a beaten up 3.5 disk. back in like, '91. TBS's have been with my fave format ever since.

Im a full time Bar manager who studies Kung Fu and who watche a lot of theatre.

Good work on Xenonauts so far lads. I will always remember the day I typed in "games like XCOM" into google and something worthwhile finally appeared....:)

I'm Nathan from Minnesota, United States.

I recently found out about X-COM and it is amazing, not withstanding the fact that it's destruction is more then battlefield 3

I then started searching for games like it and there was some remakes and open-source projects but, nothing much

Then I saw the totalbiscuit WTF is video and I had to get the game