Introduction thread!

Chris

Hello to all, I am an old gamer (74) my kids got me into gaming years ago back in the good days of DOS when you had to fight to get enough memory to run some of the games.

Then I ran across the old X-COM UFO DEFENSE and was hooked forever ( however long that will be ) and have been gaming blissfully for these many long years. I am really enjoying Xenonauts, first heard about this several years and thought it had gone the way of many others to the burial ground that many others have gone to. Kudos to Chris for sticking with it!!

Nice to see I am not the oldest one on the board (50 years old, still a young 'un), really pleased you're still playing and having fun with it. The future is looking bright :D

Hello to all! I am Joao from Portugal. I am a big fan of UFO E.U and Terror from the deep games (specially the second one) and as many other fans of this games i waited very long for a game which resembles ang give the sensation of the original XCOM. Personally, Xenonauts is not the game that materializes all the dreams and wishes of someone which is waiting for a close UFO/TFTD remake, however and from what i have played, it is a game wich gives an experience in many aspects very close to the original ones. I started play TFTD first around 98 or so (only tried UFO after) and i remember the feel/sensation i got in the first times i played is somehow similiar with wich i experienced with Xenonauts, and by the way i hope the developers are considering to create a TFTD remake as well.

I really enjoyed the game in first occasions i tried it. It was quite a surprise to see the option of the developers of choosing the late 70's period instead of a near-future as in the originals but that's ok. The graphics are nice, smooth, simple and intentionally not much sofisticated in order to keep the similarities with UFO/TFTD. The "Geoscape" has some additional nice features. It is also pratical and flat so that we don't need to turn the globe. The battlescape where the real action takes place is very enjoyable and with a considerable variety of well designed objects. One thing i don't apreciate is the squad size limit and i think the option of choosing between 2 or 10 soldiers should be up for the player to decide. The aliens races diversity is also quite good.

In the overall, the recreation of the original two games of the XCOM series as main goal for this release, was more than achieved as result of the awesome work the developers had and for wich we have to thank them! Any XCOM fan wich was waiting for a remake will be satisfied after playing this one and this worths well its price.

Hello, unlike most I can't say I am a veteran player of XCOM. Heard about the franchise for the first time with XCOM 2012, after which I bought the original on Steam and played it with OpenXCOM. Didn't complete it but I did see the appeal. My greatest XCOM achievement is beating Enemy Within on Classic Ironman. Encouraged by that I went to Xenonauts on Veteran but I'm getting my ass kicked to the moon and back so I think I'll start another playthrough on Normal first.

I feel bad for not supporting Xenonauts on Kickstarter but then again I hadn't even heard of it until its release. I hope my money is welcome even at this point.

I first got to play the original XCom first around 2006 and loved it. One of my fondest moments was telling my friends how brutal the game could be, that it was more than possible to get massacred if you just walk down the ramp. They didn't believe me, and sure enough, the first mission I show them I lost a few troopers barely walking down the ramp (I didn't know about smoke grenades yet). I tried playing EU and while it's no doubt a quality game, but while playing it I kept getting the itch to play the original. That's when I learned about Xenonauts, and picked it up purely from word of mouth and the developers statements of staying true to the original hoping Xenonauts would fulfill that itch for the original. It certainly did, loving the game, and really thankful for the devs for taking the time to bring us this game :) From Austin, Texas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all! I'm Erik from Canada. I've been playing Xenonauts for about a week and a half. I still haven't completed my first play-through, but I'm looking forward to completing it. I'm also interested in the possibility of creating new maps and mods for the game once I develop as a player. I enjoy long walks on the beach, fine dinning, and cozy evenings watching movies and I might be right for you. All joking aside I'm an amateur film maker, gamer, and film buff. So hi and stuff, I hope we all get along.

Good evening... well... err... late night. It's currently 2:00 AM in my side of the world...

Anywho, my name is Scorpii, real name Christian. I'm currently studying computer programming (going to be entering my 2nd year, so I don't know anything) and I want to eventually become a game programmer. Maybe start my own indie studio. I have no idea, I have ambitions but I'll see what happens.

I've been lurking on the forums for a good month now, using mods and what-not and having a few posts, so I decided a formal introduction is in order.

Salutations! It's good to have another voice in the forums. If you're interested, do what you can for the community and share what you think about or what you have for us. :P

More hands are appreciated among the ongoing growing modder's community, so if you're taking some programming studies maybe you'd like to take a swoop at Xenonauts Modding, I'm sure you can benefit some experience from scripting mods. :D

Salutations! It's good to have another voice in the forums. If you're interested, do what you can for the community and share what you think about or what you have for us. :P

More hands are appreciated among the ongoing growing modder's community, so if you're taking some programming studies maybe you'd like to take a swoop at Xenonauts Modding, I'm sure you can benefit some experience from scripting mods. :D

Might just do that, honestly. The coding for the game seems overly simple enough to mod, If I can find time. I also do playtesting for a mod

Hello everyone,

I'm Rhonijin. RPG's and Strategy are the kind of games that I'm into mostly. I started playing Xenonauts fairly recently, I'm about 120 hours in and I have to say that I'm loving it so far.

My previous experience with "X-Com" games are from XCOM: EU and EW, which I also love. I never had a chance to play the old XCOM games, though I eventually intend to, especially now that they're available on Steam. I basically stumbled onto Xenonauts while watching Scott Manley on YouTube, and from the moment I saw it, I knew that I MUST have it! Good job Guys!

I only just discovered this computer game even existed the other day while I was watching the Australian computer game review TV show Good Game which reviewed this computer game. You can read their review of this computer game or watch their video review of this computer game at the following link:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/stories/s4074863.htm

I feel like such a noob only discovering this computer game at this late stage of this computer game's development, especially considering how much that I love these types of computer games!

Thank you so much to everybody who contributed to making this computer game reach its funding goal in Kickstarter, and to everybody who worked on making this computer game a reality!

The following is my background with these types of computer games:

I completed UFO: Enemy Unknown (also known as X-COM: UFO Defense) numerous times at different difficulty levels. It remains one of my favourite computer games that I have ever played!

I played X-COM: Terror From the Deep but I never finished the game because it was too difficult and the concept of using weapons (other than harpoons and torpedoes and mines) underwater was silly.

I completed X-COM: Apocalypse. The game has beautiful music and an immersive atmosphere! It remains one of my favourite computer games that I have ever played!

I played UFO: Aftermath but never finished the game because it was too repetitive and it dragged on for too long.

I own but have never played UFO: Aftershock and UFO: Afterlight because I haven't finished UFO: Aftermath yet. For those players who have completed the UFO trilogy, are either of these computer games worth playing considering that I didn't think that UFO: Aftermath was worth finishing?

I have never played UFO: Extraterrestrials because I didn't have a computer that was capable of playing the game at the time that it was released, I seem to remember seeing bad reviews for the game at the time that it was released, and I have forgotten about the game since then. For those players who have completed the game, is the game worth playing?

I played but never finished X-Force: Fight for Destiny because I got stuck at the stage in the game when the biggest and deadliest alien battleships began appearing in the game, and they were too fast and deadly to shoot down with my interceptors, and the UFOpedia entries in that stage of the game were all in German (in the version of the game that I was playing quite a few years ago), so I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing to counter the biggest deadliest alien battleships. It's a pity, because I was really enjoying the game up until then. I will try the latest version of the game to see whether I am able to complete the game this time around.

I played but haven't finished UFO: Alien Invasion yet. The game has beautiful music!

I own but haven't played X-COM: Enemy Unknown or X-COM: Enemy Within because I don't have a computer capable of playing the games yet. For those players who have completed the games, what do you think of the games?

I am definitely going to buy Xenonauts, but I haven't been able to find information about the game's minimum system requirements any where, and I am wary about digital downloads of computer games because I don't know whether I will be able to install and play the game on my current computer and my next computer or whether I will only be able to install and play the game on just one computer one time only. My computer's operating system is Windows XP and my computer's hardware is from the year 2008 or 2009 (3 GB system RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4770 graphics card (512 MB video RAM)). Could somebody who is in the know please help me out here? What are the minimum system requirements for Xenonauts? If I buy the game from the xenonauts.com website so that I can download the game from the Humble Store and get a Steam key, will I be able to install and play this computer game on my current, old computer as well as my next computer when I get around to replacing my current, old computer?

Is there any difference with game stability (i.e. bugs) with the digital donwload from the Humble Store compared to the Steam installation of this computer game? If so, which is the less buggy version of the game to play?

I much prefer to play computer games after the final patch has been released for the game.

Is version 1.09 of Xenonauts likely to be the last version of this computer game? If not, are there any estimates to when the final patch for this computer game is likely to be released?

I've read player reviews of this computer game at the game's webpage at the Steam website, and I've looked at screenshots of the game, and the only new game mechanic that I am concerned about is Suppression, and the only game mechanic omission from UFO: Enemy Unknown that I am concerned about is that the player can't reverse-engineer the aliens' psionic powers to then use against the aliens. For those players who have completed Xenonauts, should I be concerned about these changes or is this computer game all the better for those changes?

Which difficulty setting would you recommend that I play my first game of Xenonauts with?

Would you recommend that I use any mods for Xenonauts in my first playthrough of this computer game? If so, which mods would you recommend that I use?

I'm really looking forward to the other similar new computer game projects that Goldhawk Interactive is currently working on.

I would appreciate any responses to my questions, and I hope to make some good new acquaintances in this forum.

Edited by gazra

Heh, just found this thread.

I go by Endersblade on everything, I've been using that tag since ye olden days of ICQ/Yahoo Chat. My real name is Darien. I'm an ex-Navy vet, did 11 months in Najaf, Iraq. Avid gamer, both console and PC (but mostly PC). I don't do multiplayer games that much, because I'm not the competitive sort. I play Magic: The Gathering, but only casually, even though I've been playing since release day of Alpha. No tournaments for me!

I've been a diehard X-COM fan since it first came out on DOS. I've played almost ever X-COM clone out there (except for the obscure/unofficial/unfinished ones that never really came of anything). Terror From the Deep is by far my favorite; I love the underwater theme!

I've been modding X-COM style games for years as well, tinkering with hex editing the .exes of the original games. This was the main thing that really hooked me for Xenonauts, being able to easily edit it right out of the box, so to speak, was absolutely amazing! I've sunk quite a few hours into it already, modded the crap out of it as well, and thoroughly enjoying it! I've recommended it to quite a few friends as well, several have already bought it, many others plan on it when they get the cash :-)

I only just discovered this computer game even existed the other day while I was watching the Australian computer game review TV show Good Game which reviewed this computer game. You can read their review of this computer game or watch their video review of this computer game at the following link:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/stories/s4074863.htm

I feel like such a noob only discovering this computer game at this late stage of this computer game's development, especially considering how much that I love these types of computer games!

Thank you so much to everybody who contributed to making this computer game reach its funding goal in Kickstarter, and to everybody who worked on making this computer game a reality!

The following is my background with these types of computer games:

I completed UFO: Enemy Unknown (also known as X-COM: UFO Defense) numerous times at different difficulty levels. It remains one of my favourite computer games that I have ever played!

I played X-COM: Terror From the Deep but I never finished the game because it was too difficult and the concept of using weapons (other than harpoons and torpedoes and mines) underwater was silly.

I completed X-COM: Apocalypse. It remains one of my favourite computer games that I have ever played!

I played UFO: Aftermath but never finished the game because it was too repetitive and it dragged on for too long.

I own but have never played UFO: Aftershock and UFO: Afterlight because I haven't finished UFO: Aftermath yet. For those players who have completed the UFO trilogy, are either of these computer games worth playing considering that I didn't think that UFO: Aftermath was worth finishing?

I have never played UFO: Extraterrestrials because I didn't have a computer that was capable of playing the game at the time that it was released, I seem to remember seeing bad reviews for the game at the time that it was released, and I have forgotten about the game since then. For those players who have completed the game, is the game worth playing?

I played but never finished UFO: Alien Invasion because I got stuck at the stage in the game when the biggest and deadliest alien battleships began appearing in the game, and they were too fast and deadly to shoot down with my interceptors, and the UFOpedia entries in that stage of the game were all in German (in the version of the game that I was playing quite a few years ago), so I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing to counter the biggest deadliest alien battleships. It's a pity, because I was really enjoying the game up until then. I will try the latest version of the game to see whether I am able to complete the game this time around.

I own but haven't played X-COM: Enemy Unknown or X-COM: Enemy Within because I don't have a computer capable of playing the games yet. For those players who have completed the games, what do you think of the games?

I am definitely going to buy Xenonauts, but I haven't been able to find information about the game's minimum system requirements any where, and I am wary about digital downloads of computer games because I don't know whether I will be able to install and play the game on my current computer and my next computer or whether I will only be able to install and play the game on just one computer one time only. My computer's operating system is Windows XP and my computer's hardware is from the year 2008 or 2009 (3 GB system RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4770 graphics card (512 MB video RAM)). Could somebody who is in the know please help me out here? What are the minimum system requirements for Xenonauts? If I buy the game from the xenonauts.com website so that I can download the game from the Humble Store and get a Steam key, will I be able to install and play this computer game on my current, old computer as well as my next computer when I get around to replacement my current, old computer?

Is there any difference with game stability (i.e. bugs) with the digital donwload from the Humble Store compared to the Steam installation of this computer game? If so, which is the less buggy version of the game to play?

I much prefer to play computer games after the final patch has been released for the game.

Is version 1.09 of Xenonauts likely to be the last version of this computer game? If not, are there any estimates to when the final patch for this computer game is likely to be released?

I've read player reviews of this computer game at the game's webpage at the Steam website, and I've looked at screenshots of the game, and the only new game mechanic that I am concerned about is Suppression, and the only game mechanic omission from UFO: Enemy Unknown that I am concerned about is that the player can't reverse-engineer the aliens' psionic powers to then use against the aliens. For those players who have completed Xenonauts, should I be concerned about these changes or is this computer game all the better for those changes?

Which difficulty setting would you recommend that I play my first game of Xenonauts with?

Would you recommend that I use any mods for Xenonauts in my first playthrough of this computer game? If so, which mods would you recommend that I use?

I'm really looking forward to the other similar new computer game projects that Goldhawk Interactive is currently working on.

I would appreciate any responses to my questions, and I hope to make some good new acquaintances in this forum.

Lots of questions there - if you post them in a separate thread on the main discussion forum you're much more likely to get an answer, this isn't really a discussion thread :)

• 3 weeks later...

lol just found this thread as well. I've been mostly on and off lurking the forum until last week when I bought Xenonaut and started posting more.

Played a lot of the original X-com and TFTD. I appreciate very much the fact that Xenonauts keep up the spirit of X-com and not sold out to the dumbed-down trend of today's games. Although not having psionic or MC training does seem a little short because it did take some management in the original game. The Vanilla run has been enjoyable, looking forward to mods and possibly contributing to mods after this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Andy and I'm a games developer working with the company Hunted Cow Studios. I also fill a host of other roles, but they generally fall under the umbrella of development. :D

Absolutely loved UFO: Enemy Unknown, fell in love with it back in the day and still found myself playing it recently, that was until I found Xenonauts (yesterday, in fact), and foresee it taking the place of my main game of interest. :)

Hello, I'm Erik Twice!

I'm a small time writer which is fairly fond of UFO: Enemy Unknown. I really like the improves of Xenonauts but geez, it's hard! So hard that I decided to join in so I could ask for some tactical advice and perhaps just talk about the other games in the series a bit.

So...hi everyone and lend me a hand, will you? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. Just like to say that I'm a huge fan of XCom: Enemy Unknown. Loved it since my uni days when I got it and posted guides on Usenet:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!search/ufo$20xcom$20alien$20diplomacy$20cm3bcsc1/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/VbxvU-1rPQE/f44nnk0Rb-cJ

Have to say that Xenonauts looks an amazing game. Bought it recently on GoG.

Looking forward to chatting :)

Kalten