Introduction thread!

Chris

I like to think of myself as an Equal Opportunity Gamer. I'm really kind of indiscriminate on that, X-box, Playstation, Nintendo, PC, Tabletop, Hand-helds. I've been playing them for the better part of 25 years now. I remember playing the original X-COM and TFTD back when those graphics were considered good.

I purchased this on Steam about 6-7 Months ago now I guess. I'm impressed with the game, and how far it's come in just the short time I've been playing it. Especially since I played it for a few weeks, put it down so it could be finished, and now it looks almost like the project is completed. The difference between now and then is literally night and day. A few little tweaks and glitches now and then, but overall, I would call it a success. I would like to give two BIG thumbs up to the development team.

I'm probably in the minority since I never played any of the original X-Com games. When I was around 10 years old an older cousins of mine did show me TFTD and I thought it looked cool. I don't know why I never really got around playing them since I knew what they are about, how well-regarded the games are and so on. I may have tried but had some hardware/OS backwards compatibility issues.

Anyway, I play a lot of strategy games and such. My girlfriend bought me the Firaxis X-Com game last october as birthday present and, as heretical it might be, I actualy enjoyed it a lot. I however have crash issues with it on the higher difficulties. Apparently my not-so top notch computer can't handle it when the amount of enemies increase for whatever reasons.

I recently read about Xenonauts and bought it last Saturday on a whim. I've enjoyed it so far and it must be one of the toughest games I've played outside of roguelikes.

Cheers. Noticed the introduction thread just now, and figured that introducing myself with my thirtieth post is almost as good as with my first. So:

I'm 19 years old, and I live in Ottawa, ON. I'm a Law Clerk student, so if for some incredibly stupid reason you need to know something basic about the Canadian legal system, I've got your back. I got hooked on XCOM:EU (the one from Firaxis, that came out a couple years ago) and decided to try out the original. Liked it, but didn't play much because I couldn't really figure it out. Bought Xenonauts, been loving it.

I am Mikhail Ragulin.

Or rather, I am not. I actually am Jon. Ragulin was a soldier of mine back in UFO: Enemy Unknown, all them years ago. He was with me from very early on in the game, and took part in roughly 120 missions, collecting over 150 alien scalps. He died on the final Missions to Mars (in fact, he probably died a few times, but being a kid, I brought him back to life by the power of the reload). His name has stuck with me all this time, perhaps a sign that he would get the chance to kill again in a future re-make.

So, UFO was the first game that stole vast swathes of my youth. I missed out on TFTD (it just looked like UFO to me, but with added blue). I loved apoc, but it was a bit easy. And, for me, the new remake of UFO looked nice, but lacked spirit.

I'm also a filthy modder. I released a couple of mods for Hearts of Iron 3, but gave up a couple of years back. Anyhow, Xenonauts is downloading now (albeit a trifle slowly), and I'll soon be scalping me some aliens. Or, hopefully, crying in terror as they slaughter my boys...

Hello!

My name is Sven, I live in Germany and I am currently working in public administration. 1st of July I will join the Federal Navy.

I am playing videogames since I was a little boy. Never played original X-Com though, only the last one.

A few works ago Xenonauts came to my attention and I watched a few Let's Plays. Wanted to buy it yesterday on Steam but unfortunately I lost my bankaccount-card it seems, which is why I had to block the account until I receive a new one... :mad: so no PayPal for me. Even have to ask my girlfriend for beer-money until then. SO UNMANLY!

Anyway, I am really looking forward to playing Xenonauts, can't wait :)

Edited by Nienshu

I am Mikhail Ragulin.

Or rather, I am not. I actually am Jon. Ragulin was a soldier of mine back in UFO: Enemy Unknown, all them years ago. He was with me from very early on in the game, and took part in roughly 120 missions, collecting over 150 alien scalps. He died on the final Missions to Mars (in fact, he probably died a few times, but being a kid, I brought him back to life by the power of the reload). His name has stuck with me all this time, perhaps a sign that he would get the chance to kill again in a future re-make.

Wow, you know what? Now that you say that name, I think way deep in some long-forgotten memory cell I actually recall having a Mikhail Ragulin too. He must've made a huge impression on you for you to carry that name in your head all these years!

If you liked the OG that much, you're gonna love Xenonauts too.

You list your location as "Lancaster"; is that Lancaster PA? If so I don't live very far from you, and have done some remodeling work in that area before...

Now that's unlucky Nienshu but at least you have an understanding GF.

My wife would just laugh at me and buy herself a beer to toast my misfortune ;)

Probably I am luckier than you in that point because we are not married yet :D

Well... she is already sending enough signals to let me understand the time has come I shall ask... but I need dat beer-supply sometimes! :D

Wow, you know what? Now that you say that name, I think way deep in some long-forgotten memory cell I actually recall having a Mikhail Ragulin too. He must've made a huge impression on you for you to carry that name in your head all these years!

If you liked the OG that much, you're gonna love Xenonauts too.

You list your location as "Lancaster"; is that Lancaster PA? If so I don't live very far from you, and have done some remodeling work in that area before...

There seemed to be a lot of Ragulin's in the OG...same for Astrov's and Tatyana's too. And Mutons!

It's Lancaster UK. Only 3000ish miles. And this game is looking the part indeed.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm pedro

sorry to asking a question on an introduction thread, but I didn't want to create a thread about a problem that you most probably have no control

I just bought the game on steam, but I can't download it. When I ask to install it the installation guide goes until "Preparing Xenonauts files for installation...", after some seconds and error appears about "connection time out". Yes, the installation process works with another games, looks like is a xenonauts error only.

I think it might be a problem on steam end, so I contacted their support, but I'm excited to play the game so sorry, pls no ban ;_;

edit:

OK, I DONT KNOW HOW IT WAS DONE, BUT IT IS WORKING RIGHT NOW

I was trying to install the game for like 2 or 3 hours, made this post and now it is working. Amazing.

Edited by pedrlz

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings everyone! I'm a huge X-Com fan so I've been following the development of this game and skimming these forums for a while. I finally bought it and am thoroughly enjoying it.

I mostly play strategy games like X-Com, Civilization, Hearts of Iron, and Tropico (and now Xenonauts). I earn money as a web developer. But in my heart, I will always be a screenwriter and film director even if I never make any money at it.

I'm thirty-three and based in Houston. I love mapping so games with mapping tools are two for the price of one for me. I'll probably be hanging out in the mapping subforum hounding everyone with questions. I normally make maps for Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Here's my YouTube channel if you want to see videos of them and download them if you play these games: https://www.youtube.com/user/Bombcartographer

I'm Pray_for_Snow, and picked up Xeonauts for sale at about 20.00 USD, despite thinking the project wasn't that impressive form what I had initially seen in the kickstarter video. Now I've played 26 hours in three days and I have been kicking myself in the butt for not helping fund it before.

Huh? How did I missed this thread at all? xD

Well, I'm pretty big gamer (apparently PC games mostly, of all times, thought, some console games experienced too.)

My favorite theme is Sci-Fi and genre - tactics.

Xenonauts were something I underestimated, and now, deeply regret that. We all know why )

Personally, I'm little software programmer and big web-developer, but with no big experience yet (well, at least I think so...).

I'm huge UI fan.

Hello,

Let me introduce myself. I am an Exiled Penguin and I am an UFOholic :)

Up front I have to say that the Xenonauts are really a great tribute to the good old UFO and as such show a lot of promise - while they stick to the basic premise, they offer a lot of "new" stuff to be interesting in their own right (first time I was in the air combat, I was entranced... and still love it :))

Unfortunately life intervened after I first supported the project and I had to leave off for a while, but now I am back... And with a head full of ideas...

First look: Aww, UFO is back!!!

Yes, I am a sucker for games from the time when there were no flashy graphics and instead the games were built on gameplay and story...

Second look: Wait, it is not UFO... It is better!

What I love on Xenonauts is... Well, a lot of things, but most of all the basic setting. This is not the nondescript 1999 with weird planes and generic weapons, this is a Cold War era, with specific crafts we know and love and with specific weapons. And therein lies the power to expand upon the basic model - the developers already did so in the ground combat, and I hope that, in time, they will do similar (expansion of options) for air combat as well. After all there are so many Cold War projects to pick from, starting with the "super interceptor" based on A-12/SR-71 ... I mean the 'human tech' variant which is Sci-Fi enough in its own right :)

Third look: Mods? Interesting...

As it seems the game is at least partially moddable, and thus contains more potential fun, I guess I will keep an eye on the mods. After all, maybe I will be able to try it even myself and go for some crazier ideas :)

Anyway, tha's it. Xenonauts are very promising and I hope I shall spend long winter evenings over them!

Edited by Exiled Penguin

Hi to everyone here.

Backed the game in KS.

But didn't played the game once (though I did install it) before release due to WORK (evil work i tell ya).

So after getting kicked outta my job finally found the time to play it.

Having a hell of a time playing it too.

PS. Anyone knows if there's a way to make my squad of soldiers face 2 different directions during deployment from Shrike?

TallonHunteR here, table top wargamer by day, computer gamer by night. no matter what i do i try to set the world right! wait....no, that should be Alight! Was originally attracted to XCOM:EU by "similar to infinity" section on a tt gaming forum i frequent. while it is, i was largely unimpressed by pop up aliens. but i liked the premise and so i picked up xenonauts for the funz, and the funz were had.

that said i am now on my way to modding the game to be the combined army assault on paradiso from the perspective of the nomads (space faring humans)

Hi Everyone!

Just found the game today...I don't know how I missed it before as I love X-COM. Huge fan, it ranks up with one of my all time games for sure, so I'm very excited to see this and can't wait to play.

I'm living in Arizona, where I doubt even aliens would attack because it is so hot.

I'm also a miniature tabletop game addict, and I've just started playing Infinity, so TallonHunteR, can't wait to see your mod!

Hello to all, I am an old gamer (74) my kids got me into gaming years ago back in the good days of DOS when you had to fight to get enough memory to run some of the games.

Then I ran across the old X-COM UFO DEFENSE and was hooked forever ( however long that will be ) and have been gaming blissfully for these many long years. I am really enjoying Xenonauts, first heard about this several years and thought it had gone the way of many others to the burial ground that many others have gone to. Kudos to Chris for sticking with it!!

You know, despite being on these forums for over 3 years, I never got around to actually introducing myself. without wanting to give away too much PII, I'm a card-carrying member of the #PCMasterRace, always have been. I like to mod games, although once I get the bit between the teeth my title is less "modder" and more "project co-ordinator" as I tend to get involved in fairly grand plans which can involve a lot of people at once.

Hey, guys!

I'm Sergiy. I'm 26 (gonna turn 27 soon) and I live in Ukraine (Kiev region). I used to work in IT (on-site administrator) but at the present moment I work as an interpreter. I used to play violin back in music school but now I learned to play piano by ear.

I've been playing Xenonauts for a week and I'm enjoying it. To me it's the best re-make of the classic X-Com, which I played and adored when I was a kid. Thank you, guys, for keeping this project alive!

Hey, y'all. I've pretty much just discovered this most glorious of games, thanks to Scott Manley posting a video of it on his youtube channel.

I'm one of those original X-Com veterans, who had the original game as a wee one back when it came out, and has installed and played through the original game at least once every 5 years, sometimes far more often. While I have some minor gripes about the game, over all I'm completely in love with the game. It captures the feel of the original perfectly, with just the proper amount of streamlining and updating to modern sensibilities.