Introduction thread!

Chris

greetings everyone

Im Yammi Okami a Shadow hunter of the night.

im a Software engineer from the Hot and dangerous land of dominican Republic

im long time gamer, player the first Xcom (and still play it) long time ago after playing a game based on it called Xforce. after a time looking for other games based on it, im found about xenonauts and after watching a couple of videos about the game im have been following the development with great anticipation. only played it once but im think im will wait for the RC

• 2 weeks later...

I should probably inroduce myself too. I'm 35 years old oldschool gamer and a has been indie game developer (our last game must be something like ten years old at least)from Finland. If you want to check my old games you can download them for free at http://koti.mbnet.fi/pacbros/skitsoproductions/index.htm

Mine Bombers is an old top down mix of Bomberman, Dynablasters and Boulderdash, works only in Dosbox, Pac Brothers is newer and windows compatible Bubble Bobble clone with a hint of Pacman. :)

I have lurked on these forums almost from the beginning(?) as I find it super intersting to follow a game project like this and see how it improves over time. Nice to see you all, and thanks GH for making this game. Looking good, hope you can finish this in a quality this game deserves!

Edited by Skitso

I have been following what's going with this game since the very beginning. I visit this website several times a week but I only bought the game today. I did not buy it before because honestly I did not believe that it would ever see the light of day. I don't recall you ever saying so Chris but you must have had doubts numerous times yourself during the life of this project. I am also certain that you found all this a lot more work than you thought it would be before you started it all. I hail from Canada and I am old enough to have purchased the original X-COM game when it first came up in the early 1990s. It was and has remained my favorite game of all times. I still play it every once in a while as incredible as it sounds. I just finished downloading the game from Steam (not version v19 though...hmm) and I will start playing it for the first time ever. I know it's not completely finished but I am hoping to be impressed.

Well, I suppose I should start with the introduction thread, right?

Well, Hello Boys and Girls, I'm Crimson and I currently live in France, though I'm moving to Japan in a couple of weeks. Lived all across Europe before, so I'll probably keep moving from place to place.

I've found Xenonauts by accident really, when I noticed it on Steam. Since me and some of my friends were in the process of playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown over and over, I decided to see some of the Xenonaut Let's Plays around, and here I am! I'm loving the game so far, even if do get frustrated sometimes. But all part of the challenge, no?

Hope we can all get along here ;)

Hey there.

I just bought the game through Steam thanks to this guy:

He is an awesome "Let's play(er)" and i didn't know Xenonauts all that much, i've just heard the name here and there. But after watching his two videos so far i couldn't resist the urge to buy it. :)

I've been a fan of X-Com since my youth and honestly i was disappointed with the Firaxis release, which is not a bad game at all, i like it, but it lacks the depth and 'sandboxiness' of the original. It has been consolized too much for my taste. I was hoping for an alternative from time to time and think i found it. I'll be surely enjoying this game and will see you around the forums. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeash...I feel really young when looking at all the other persons on these here forums...

Anyways, welcome Gentlemen and Ladies (whoever you may be) to the forums. Your standard-issue jumpsuit is located down the hall. Mess hours are between [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] and all equipment must be checked in with the...quartermaster...on pain of KP duty.

Good evening gents, Noir Wolf here, purveyor of death for His Majesty that sits atop the Golden Throne. I will cleanse Holy Terra of the Xenos filth and then commence global unification and enlightenment, by velvet or by inquisitor, with a view to establishing a galaxy of peace, prosperity and worship of His divine being.

Galaxy above mentioned available only for humans. Xenos shall be purged with extreme prejudice and where needed Exterminatus'd out of existence. Belief in any other deity in said galaxy also subject to arco-flagellation

@Jean-Luc: The moment you find out how to grind meat with plasma patent that idea, it will cook and sterilize meat durn good.

Hello! :D

Should've done this earlier but got excited about this community and this game. I'm an honest and open individual with loads of ideas (many which probably are shunned upon but whatevs, ideas inspire and I love to inspire). I love discussion, people, philosophy and games.

I also love challenging experiences and to overcome them. I'm not flowerpower but I believe in peace and love between one another, one planet one race ya? Someday. I am a dreamer, and often times quite naive but no matter... "I am not the only one" :P

I saw xenonauts on Jefmajors letsplay and instantly loved it, so i went out and bought it.

i'm a huge fan of the X-Com series ever since i bought ufo back in 1994 (i was just 14) and although the firaxis version looks pretty it just isn't the original by a long shot.

i still suck at this game mind. hah!

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I am a BIG X-COM fan. Loved the game, though never got into any of its squeals with the exception of X-COM enemy unknown. With the newest expansion of that coming out, I got revitalized in the series. Although I am very hyped about the expansion, I feel it may be straying too far away from the concept of what X-COM really should be.

So I decided to give the original another boot up. I did, played it four several hours and enjoyed it. But every time I come back to it, I suffered from the old UI design and the limits of the game from its era. I spoke to a friend of mine about it, and we both agreed we want a very similar if not exact same game with just a modern tweak to it.

By chance, I Google it and stumbled upon this site. Took me about 15 minutes of reading it, and watching the kickstarter video. I tried throwing my money at the screen but that didn't work. So I bought it through Amazon oddly enough. Now here I am. eager and wanting while my download... Well downloads.

I hope this game is as awesome as it looks and is as faithful as the creators seem to be earnest.

Oops, looks like I missed this one.

OpenXcom brought me here. While it satisfied my craving for old-school UFO-busting action, it also reminded me that not everything aged well in old x-com. So I'm here for a more streamlined and challenging experience. Also, for the pretty graphics - the UFO and interceptor artwork is awesome. Before that, I played JA2 a lot, including 1.13, to the point of actually coding a bunch of UI improvements for that project.

Gotta say, Xenonauts offers some awesome tactical combat, with plenty of incentive to actually play it that way instead of just brute-forcing every battle. Still needs some work though, so I registered to give feedback and report silly bugs I come across.

Hello everybody! I am Tasku and I luv xenonauts :)

I just registered here and made some suggestions, and a bug post.

I would also apreciatesome feedback on my playlist of episodes of xenonauts.

Ideas and suggestions are most welcome what would you like to see.

Here is link to my youtube playlist:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I'm Daniel. I'm from Austria and...

I'm an X-COM addict.. always have been from the original X-COM EU to Terror from the Deep to well everything that even remotley related to the original game. The new version of X-COM EU doesn't cut it for me but this feels a whole lot better.

First time I'd heard of the original X-COM was on the Dwarf Fortress forums. It took GuavaMoment's excellent LP to get me to realize what the game actually was and after dedicating most of a summer to it I recall hungrily trolling the Internet for anything that even remotely resembled an updated version. A few competitors, several in-progress projects (OpenXCOM and Xenonauts included, I'd estimate circa 2010 or maybe 2011), but nothing close enough or free enough to satisfy.

The new XCOM I was vaguely aware of and finally broke down and pre-ordered once the demo came out; I went in knowing it was very much a modern take on the basic idea and wasn't disappointed by it, whatever shortcomings I did find. By the time my gaming cycle came back around to 'non-twitch single-player games', OpenXCOM was in a playable state, I messed around a lot with that, and then my friends started non-stop chatter about Enemy Within sometime in September. At that prompting I messed around with the Long War mod for XCOM2012, which was an interesting metamorphosis.

Aware Xenonauts was playable and that it seemed to be what I really wanted, I wound up going whole-hog and getting EW and Xenonauts on the same day, aware they'd scratch two different itches. So far I haven't had cause to regret the decision.

Long-winded personal X-COM history aside, I'm a twenty-something Texan college layabout and lifetime gamer, interested in both playing them and the craft that goes into creating them. I've always adored any game that allows for projecting personalities onto units to make my own personal little stories (cough-dwarf-fortress-cough), and that's almost as big a draw as the gameplay itself for me.

• 3 months later...

Hello Forum

I have been lurking this forum on and off since TotalBiscuit posted a 'review' on his channel and then watched some playthroughs which led to me eventually purchasing the game pre-steam. I joined up today to report some bugs and so now i introduce myself.

I am old enough to have been gaming when the original was released, however, and i still don't know why, it never came across my radar :(

I hail from Tasmania, the island state of the island continent

ASIDE - it would be cool if Hobart was on the geomap as it is the only Australian capital city not plotted :)

Well that's it ... have a good one ... cheers

Greetings! :)

I've been a PC gamer since about 1996 and around that time was also when I first played the original X-COM (it was called UFO: Enemy Unknown over here). I also played Terror from the Deep, though I don't think I completed it - I think "butt-crushingly difficult" would be a good way to describe that game. :P I didn't play any of the later titles much as the franchise sadly seemed to move away from its roots with all the first-person shooters and other nonsense.

I was very excited about the Firaxis game in 2012, even had it pre-ordered - however, when I got to try the demo I was fairly disappointed and ended up canceling my pre-order. I actually think they more or less accomplished what they were going on in the end - i.e. making a modern, streamlined console game that takes place in the X-COM universe - but I just wasn't the target audience as I was hoping for something closer to the original in terms of depth and complexity.

Xenonauts seems to be just what the doctor ordered! I missed the Kickstarter but I did try the Kickstarter demo shortly thereafter and was really impressed. I finally got around to buying the game last week (as the devs claimed that it was almost finished) and my first session quickly went from "oh I have a bit of time, I'll try Xenonauts for a couple of hours" to "holy s**t it's 5 AM already and I've got work tomorrow!". :P

This is a great game, it's exactly what I was hoping it would be - however, there are still some rough edges, some bugs and frustrating bits, so I figured I'd share some of my impressions on the forum as the devs here seem receptive to feedback. :)

Greetings. I recently purchased your game on Steam. I must say that I find it very good. A fine successor to the original X-COM. I hope that the development of this game (which I understand is now in the 'polishing' phase) continues to go smoothly. May your programing skills continue to not fail you Goldhawk team! God bless.