Introduction thread!

Chris

Hello, Tor (that's THOR to you, mortal) from Norway (ofc). I'm sadly no longer in my late-mid-twenties, but I still remember x-com fondly. It was grand. I love games, and sniffed about this some time ago. I chanced upon it again, and now that I could play it, the price was a steal so I jumped in. I'm very fond of lasers. I think lasers should always have beams (please consider it developers).

I'm a fire emergency responder and work for the army about a month or so every year. I like things that men do, except sports with balls in them. And skiis.

Hey everyone! OtakuDash here (Dash for short)!

I've been playing the X-com series for a long while then, and even though I feel I'm still a newbie at the game, I absolutely love it to the core. Being so, upon learning about Xenonauts for a while, I have keep waiting till the project was more solid, since all my hopes for a X-Com remake along the years were shattered one by one. And finally, upon seeing the development at it's state, I can say with no doubt that this is gonna be the most loyal thing ever made to the original!

In short, I saw, I bought, I support... and when the time is done, I will help conquer the earth from the alien invasion!

See you guys on the battlefield,

Dash-out!

Hi everybody! This is Phantom, who finally found a true successor of X-Com series.

I have the first two X-com still on floppy disks and the apocalypse on cdrom! Still playing them with dosbox, but hey need some "variation". I have played (sorry for bad english, but isnt my motherlanguage, I'm italian :P) all remakes, and the only similar before seeing this on a forum was Extraterrestrials!!

Ahhh good old time games, tired of fps or rushed rts!

See you guys!!

Might as well give a brief intro.

Long time member of the old forums, recently active member on these new boards and a long time player of X-Com. I'd heard about the first PC Gamer review of X-Com:UFO Defense and later tried out the demo. Didn't really get into it until a relative bought the game later and I had a chance to play it in earnest. It was a hard game to play for me at the time but I did finish it with many save/loads.

A few years later I revisited the game with a new strategy: Level everything with explosives, fire and laser blasts. That made everything so much easier but best of all, the destruction was great fun. Nothing like rescuing hapless citizens from the alien menace by destroying their homestead then flying off into the night.

Played UFO: ET for awhile using Greyfiend's mods and found it even more fun than the original X-Com. Unfortunately Greyfiend is in the middle of doing the balancing portion of his complete game overhaul and his current mod release makes missions so hard they aren't much fun (enemies are killing soldiers from off the screen and can only be killed easily by short-ranged flamethrower type weaponry). Hopefully he'll finish up the last portion of the project soon but if not, there's always Xenonauts in the works.

Hi,

I'm Howard and I've been a long time fan of the UFO/X-Com games. Never terribly good at them though mind but I always managed to stumble my way through! I came here because of the video that TB put up some time ago and was very impressed with the graphics not to mention the fact that it was going to be a proper turned based strategy game.

Hello everyone!

I'm a college student for Game and Simulation Engineering. In my senior year and loving it so far.

Just got back into X-com recently. Loved to watch my uncle play when it came out but it was too complicated for me at the time. The game has aged very well and is still fun to play. Heard about a game called Xenonauts, and after a quick look, decided it was certainly worth my money. Now here I am, ready to watch the development and be a part of the community.

Hi,

I've been following the development of xenonauts for about a year now. I've been a fan of xcom series since it's first incarnation and have always hoped for a worthy "spiritual successor". Over the years I feel that the succession of want-to-be titles have made some worthwhile contributions to the genre but somehow seemed to fall short of what I had hoped for. As I have followed xenonauts I've been most impressed with the choice of time period and the fascinating history that was invented. The Cold War is a bold choice that set this project apart from other offerings and really made me want to know more.

Long story short I lurked for ages, fairly recently set up an account and finally committed I discovered the builds were opened up on Desura. I had my first look at the build last night and was drawn in by the familiarity of the gaming experience and excited at the huge potential I see in the offering. Happy I finally came down off of the fence.

Howdy! Very excited. When I first saw the project announced many months ago I thought this was going to be another overly ambitious project without adequate dev support, and my heart would get broken. That still might be true, but it's been great news to see how much has been accomplished! I did the $30 preorder in the hopes that you guys can keep up the development pace. Best of luck!

Hey! Was keeping an eye on this for a while, but then kinda lost track of it. Remembered it today and got the premium preorder off desura. Can't wait, if this can even get near how much fun I had (and still have) with xcom its $30 well spent! Good luck to the devs!

Hello, people. I might as well point out my unique and imaginative nickname before somebody else does. It's a testament to how a certain game (among others, mind you, but still...) derailed my life for several years in my early teens - people actually called me 'UFO' in real life for a decade or so because of how much I played and talked about it when it was released.

I've been into gaming since the C-64/NES days and have absolutely no plans on giving it up in the future.

I drive a garbage truck by day and play computer games/write bad fiction/wrench on old rusty cars at night.

It boggles the mind that there are so many hard-core XCOMers still out there, hungry for more... I'm thinking you guys will bring something interesting to the table. If nothing else, the cold war is a nice backdrop for a fan fic or two :-P

(hmm, maybe a preorder would be appropriate now?)

Hello all!

I discovered this after a person referred me to the project through my own project. Disappointed at a lack of a good 4X turn based game similar to MoO 1/2, I've decided to start up my own 4X game project, named Beyond Beyaan. I've been working on it for over two years now, and hope to release it on May 31st. (Teaser footage here:

)

Anyway, since MoO 1/2 was developed by Microprose, naturally I'm a fan of their other games, like X-Com and MoM. Which led some people to refer Xenonauts to me. Soon hopefully I'll be able to afford to buy a premium membership! I want shiny badges!

Oh, I'm deaf also, just a bit of an interesting fact :)

I discovered this after a person referred me to the project through my own project. Disappointed at a lack of a good 4X turn based game similar to MoO 1/2, I've decided to start up my own 4X game project, named Beyond Beyaan. I've been working on it for over two years now, and hope to release it on May 31st. (Teaser footage here:
)

As preposterous as it seems, I've never played a game developed by the now-defunct Simtex. I grabbed Master of Orion 3 from a bargain bin in the mid-noughties and was sorely underwhelmed.

I'll keep an eye on your project!

Anyway, since MoO 1/2 was developed by Microprose, naturally I'm a fan of their other games, like X-Com and MoM. Which led some people to refer Xenonauts to me. Soon hopefully I'll be able to afford to buy a premium membership! I want shiny badges!

Oh, I'm deaf also, just a bit of an interesting fact :)

As to your impairment, if you pre-order the game and find the time to do testing, I'm sure the developers would appreciate your feedback on its accessibility.

As to your impairment, if you pre-order the game and find the time to do testing, I'm sure the developers would appreciate your feedback on its accessibility.

Indeed! I never thought of that, but now I think on it, some things (like text and font readability) would be more of a priority for you, and you might make an excellent tester to make sure that the game is playable even for those who are unable to hear!

I will make sure to point out any areas that may need to be more accessible. From what I've seen in the videos, it looks pretty much accessible for a deaf player. I'll find out for sure when I actually play it :)

As for MoO 3, yeah, it was a bit underwhelming... In my opinion, MoO 1 was the best of the series. Many people think MoO 2 was better however. Each game in the series is very different from each other.

Hello everyone my name is Damir, and I am a diehard X-COM veteran, started playing the game when I was 12 years and got hooked to the genre ever since. I am studying biology and am fitness (most bodybuilding) enthusiast for almost 7 years. My other hobbies include, building PCs for friends and family, fishing and outdoors activity you name it! I look forward to the release of Xenonauts, and am happily testing the alpha build, can't for V9. Keep up the great work guys.

Hello all!

)

I've been following your progress and I am looking forward to trying your game out. What I have seen looks impressive! Keep up the good work!

Hello all.

I have recently heard about this game and am quite interested. New to the series, my past experience is limited to UFO:ET with Bman's mod which I have been playing the last few days. I'm more interested in this games take on the franchise, however, and will get a premium licence whence I can afford such luxuries next pay cycle (spent my fortune on Pabst Blue Ribbon this time around, sadly).

I've been a fan of strategy games since Shining Force on the Genesis, but my tastes have been refined to tactical shooters like BF2:PR and ArmA, and realistic tactical/strategy games like Xenonauts and the aforementioned UFO:ET. I consider these games to be realistic because of how the AP system is implemented, especially the ability to set up ambushes with unused AP and how easy it is to take and lose lives. It really forces one to use actual squad tactics and not just run forward guns blazing, energy sword shimmering, and bigoted remarks spewing forth upon anyone wielding shotgun like in certain evil practices too wicked to name.

In all honesty I can't even play games that don't at least attempt to simulate realistic combat anymore. I wish more games had a combat model similar to this and I hope to encourage those in charge as much as possible. :D

Oh yeah, and the individual in pages past who said the lasers should have beams and not some sort of energy 'bullet' is totally right!