Introduction thread!

Chris

ahh righto, that makes more sense,

I just played another hour of and I think Im gonna read some of the docs and not fly by seat of my pants as much, keep getting killed too easy and couldnt figure out how to build another chinook, im sure its something simple I missed, but as a first impression I reckon that game is gonna be fun and get lots harder as it goes along, and good enough that Im gonna put in a pre-order.

The forum here is pretty lively too!!

Hoping to hear more bout your forays into the current version in some of the balance/beta threads floating around at the moment as well.

Always nice to get a new perspective on things, some of us have been messing around with the builds for years so it can be difficult to imagine what new eyes may pick up.

Or not so new eyes that are just newly focused on the game.

Or even middle aged eyes that are struggling to focus but still gamely making the attempt.

Well, these middle aged eyes would like to look over any existing gameplay docs. Everyone that has replied to my nubie posts has been wonderfully helpful and considerate. Even when, in the end, the issue is a 'doh!' I wish to minimize those...

the wiki info is high level.

Well, these middle aged eyes would like to look over any existing gameplay docs. Everyone that has replied to my nubie posts has been wonderfully helpful and considerate. Even when, in the end, the issue is a 'doh!' I wish to minimize those...

the wiki info is high level.

Im looking @ the wiki now, Thanks 0mots

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone from Switzerland. Just pre-ordered alpha and downloading Beta candidate now. I have finished EU a few months ago, and was sorely longing for the strategic depth and feel of the original back when I was still young and foolish, so after waiting in vain for some kick-ass DLC-s for it to implement the missing features, I have stumbled into this game and will try it out as soon as I get my greedy virtual fingers around it. In the meantime it is a pleasure to support the dev team in their efforts!

For the new people this is the manual (also linked from the game launcher):

http://www.xenonauts.com/manual.html

Or the online (and older) version:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/515-Xenonauts-Manual-Release!

And the wiki link for those who haven't seen it, note that some parts (especially the cover system) are out of date now:

http://xenowiki.goldhawkinteractive.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Steelpoint (I think) also started an alternative wiki which has more race info etc.

I haven't really looked at it but I know it contains spoilers for those who don't want to see later alien races or the xenopedia entries and so on.

Not sure how up to date it is either:

http://xenonauts.wikia.com/wiki/Xenonauts_Wiki

Thanx for the warm welcome. I have already installed the beast with fix pack2 and took it for a one month spin. The game seems well playable and one can see that a lot of love has been put into details (tractor and snow mobile are gorgeous ;) ) I am really looking forward for some advanced weapons (laser rifle pics I have found on the site look really sexy - hope there is also at least one advanced futuristic fighter as well :)) . I will definitely put my 2 cents in the appropriate forum topics in hope it will be of some help, but am already enjoying the tactical battles and the innovative dogfights. I like the concept and the feel of the air fights - like the original only much more features and tactics. I hope the planes also have some minimal damage model but even without it seems like a solid mini game :)

Hello. I am one of the early pre-order folk. From way back before there was even beta builds. I may have had BadgerDrool as my forum account name. Finally went and retrieved my preorder and made a new account today.

It's been some time folks. Looking forward to seeing how Xenonaut's has progressed. Playing X-Com EU on normal Marathon is really making me wistful for ye old XCom and Xenonauts.

Hi! :)

My name is Fuzz, nice to meet'cha. :D

Now, prepare to hate me. :P

In terms of actual experience with this type of genre, I have yet to actually play both the original X-COM games and the Firaxis remake. So, yeah, I'm a completely green player. I have seen playthroughs of both UFO: Defense/UFO: Enemy Unknown and Firaxis' Enemy Unknown, though. I guess that must count for something, right? :P

Anyway! One night, by sheer luck, during a parlay across the Internet, I stumbled upon Xenonauts. I immediately fell in love with both its concept and design. After an unforeseen delay, I have finally donated to this awesome and very worthwhile project! :)

So, uh, yeah! Can't wait to play and see this project develop! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I finally I pre-ordered,

Just wanted to introduce myself

I have been watching this project developed since last year and have been following closely, and finally decided it was time to get involved, play some and support it,

I have played all the xcoms expect terror from the deep, as much as I enjoyed the new game from fraxis I just felt it accomplished what it was trying for, a easier, linear experience for 60$, I am really hoping this game Chris has put together has just a fraction of the original xcoms depth that I enjoyed so much for well over 200 hours.

Take care all.

Edited by Fatbooboo

• 2 weeks later...

Just testing the badge thingy.

I stumbled upon Xenonauts by luck and saw the "X-COM inspired" label, so i followed some links and read a bit :)

Ended up buying it, as it looks promising and i love the game type.

Download is slow (i'm not installing Desura since Steam integration is very close), so i'll be watching Steelwarrior's "let's play" while waiting!

See you around ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I am some random guy from the Seattle area (north west corner of the USA).

Sought the forums out to provide some feedback items after trying out the new Steam release, and then realized how incredibly presumptuous it was to drop in and do a feature request for my first post... so sorry, if that came off badly.

This is a great game. I never really played the original -- heard about it for all these years, tried out the X-Com: EU remake and found it fun, but unsatisfying. Tried the original for the first time, and then found this when looking for something in between -- modern UI, but the original depth. Looks like you nailed it!

In any case, I am happy to see there is a civil community around the game over here -- I come from a perspective of not having a lot of nostalgia, but it is really cool to see a project like this happening and I hope it is very successful.

Anyways, My name's Jordan, & I'm from Vancouver, Canada, but living in Montreal at the moment for no particular reason. I've been a fan of the orig. Xcom since the damn thing came out.

I've been keeping an eye on the dev. site for a few months, and when I noticed the beta went up on steam for pre-order... it was time...

My first mission ended horribly with Grey's in cute little red turtlenecks hosing most of my squad from behind cover. (Near the north-pole no less; santa-hat mod??) So... yeah. You've already got the "Smug, cheap, alien bastards in their god=damned hideyholes!!!" aspect of the game down, so it can only get better from here. I look forward to what you've got in store for us, and a shout out to the community.

Cheers!

Hello, just bought the game on Steam (yesterday) and am currently on my first playthrough. I'm Andy and I'm a Software Developer from London.

I somehow managed to miss the original X-COM (not sure how, I was an avid games player at the time and it's the sort of game I would have played) but have played X-COM:EU extensively (166 hours according to Steam).

I was putting off buying Xenonauts as I don't normally buy early access games - I have a tendency to play them to death and not come back to them when they are then complete. However as I couldn't find any new games I liked and was playing old games such as X-COM:EU and Fallout New Vegas, both of which I'm now bored of, so I broke my rule and bought this.

Hello All,

I am Wrath nice to meet you all, hopeful modder, aspiring game designer/developer, recent graduate with a degree is software development.

One question, is this game developed with an open source development engine such as unity or a custom in-house game engine?

Just curious and could not find the information elsewhere on the forum

One question, is this game developed with an open source development engine such as unity or a custom in-house game engine?

Just curious and could not find the information elsewhere on the forum

Neither. it's Playground SDK (same engine as Diner Dash)

As to why they picked that the first programmer brought on board picked it and despite the first programmer being a less than sufficiently skilled Chris decided to stick with the engine to not start over from scratch.