Introduction thread!

Chris

Czech Republic is joining the Kick-Aliens-Into-Their-Alien-Asses Organization! Firstly playing UFO:EU on black-and-white laptop...it was damn hard to recognize UFO on Globe when you have just 256 gray tones but I sent these alien scum to their alien hell anyway...looking forward to send alien into their alien hell again...and again...and again

Nice to have some veterans join the ranks. An all-rookie team can be a liability. :P

Sure is. We just need a way of merging the mobility scooter with the Ferret weapons systems and we have a Cyborg Battletank...or Davros with a pistol, depending on the way it turns out.

Great to have you here Vyrank.

Hey No Davros ride for me yet at least :D I saw Genesis of the Daleks when it first aired in the US on tv :) (yay PBS) And thanks for all the warm welcomes. Really hope we see the full game soon of Xeno soon but I will probably be busy on Firaxis rendition for a while :)

...but I will probably be busy on Firaxis rendition for a while :)

I wonder if this place will be like a ghost town...no sure I'll wait while you get The Specials single... tum te tum te tum.. it's on great.. where was I.. ah yes, if it will be as quiet as a Graveyard when... sorry you want Monster Mash on now?.. yes... I'll wait... darn forgotten what I was going to say now.. Oh yes...

Welcome to Cribban!

disillusioned with UFO: ET, disillusioned with the the new XCOM (though still holding out hope) I just need to get back to that feeling when i first loaded up Enemy Unknown on a beaten up old 486...

sure jagged alliance and silent storm were great but it's been a long time between drinks... anyway - i've just pre-ordered and i'm going to take your alpha around the block a bit...

cheers all and long live indie game production...

Hello all. Loved UFO: EU, Rebelstar and Lazer Squad and most non-realtime turn-based strategy games - that's why I'm here. I'm writing my own epic turn-based strategy game based on WWII and the classic Arnhem/Desert Rats/Vulcan games on the Spectrum by R.T Smith. It's about 50% complete.

I'm so glad to see so many still love & play UFO: EU and like you all, hope the new Firaxis/Goldhawk games do very well for themselves.

Edited by ooey

Well I just bought the new X-Com game three days ago because I was in love with the original ... unfortunately its bloody awful! No real inventory system? I can live with just one base but only launching one ship at a time...For real? No random maps, not even random enemy spawns??? The the worst part of it all is the enemies are completely inactive until you uncover them!?!?!?!?!? I mean come on! I am not saying it has to be an exact copy of the original but that was just pathetic. The only good thing that came out of buying the game is that I search for better adaptations and found this gem of a game. I am looking forward to playing a "real" X-Com game again.

Hello everyone.

Never played original xcom games, only experience i have is the game that payed homeage to those classic series called ufo: aftermath, i remember enjoying that game and its soundtrack has stuck to me till this day for some reason.

Anyways what nudged me to buy this game was not totalbiscuit or any other promotional activity, atleast not a direct one, no.

What did it for me was the xcom: enemy unkown. Seeing another genre "reimagined" or as i would call it "dumbed down to oblivion and given a severe case of consolitis UI" was just too much and i decided to support you guys instead of them. In the end its not about the money, its about sending a message.

I will be sharing my ideas, feedback and thoughts about the game as it comes to fruition. And i wish everyone whos working on this project the best of luck, i know that you can make this happen.

Hey everyone!

I have wonderful memories of the original X-Com and still play it... with the release of XCOM: EU (an excellent game in its own right; I'd even say its on par with the original), I was missing some of the classic X-Com feel. I've been keeping my eyes on Xenonauts for quite a while, but finally took the plunge and pre-ordered it (premium, since Goldhawk is doing such an excellent job).

Anyway, I'll be around to share my thought and ideas and dreams and love! ;)

Reposting from my Xenonauts post... Oops, didn't see this thread in these forums!

Greetings!

So I am new to the X-COM franchise. I had always heard about it- more through nostalgic recollection and seeing it on "Greatest Games" lists. I am 25... so that puts me right around.. 7 when UFO Defense came out, ha. I have always been interested in strategy games however. I work as a System Engineer so I suppose I am an analytic person and tend to drift towards games of Chess rather than Checkers.

Upon seeing XCOM: Enemy Unknown a few months ago I was pretty excited. About a month before XC:EU released, I purchased UFO Defense from Steam and downloaded the Util program that fixes some bugs. Honestly, I didn't think I would like UFO Defense due to the almost 20 year old graphics. While I found the interface to be very overwhelming- the game was great at immersion. Naming soldiers after my wife, our pets, our soon-to-kid (my daughter is due Jan 11th- first kid! Very nervous), inlaws, etc all made up my initial platoon. My inlaws made great RedShirts/Fodder. All in all, the game was enjoyable regardless of how dated it was.

XC:EU released and honestly, I really like the game. I know- I am going to get lynched here for saying that. But for what it is- it is a fun game. It was never promised to be a clone/identical copy. It took inspiration from the X-COM universe and went in its own direction. I can see why people looking back with nostalgia would be upset. It isn't a direct clone and those expecting such are disappointed. The 2K forums are crawling with "but in the original game!" posts and that is okay. People are allowed to not be satisfied and voice their opinion. However, I still find the original game enjoyable and the new game enjoyable. I have continued to play both after release of XC:EU. Is it blasphemy I could enjoy both games? Maybe. But they really are different takes on the same thing and both have their selling points. I think people who just claim the OG is superior in every way are just as intellectually dishonest as those who defend XC:EU relentlessly despite some glaring faults. Both extremes are not good for this niche community and both extremes do not help at all. I prefer to be in the middle and enjoy both games for their differences and what they are.

I saw a few posts mentioning Xenonauts on the 2K forums. So... I decided to check it out and here I am. I think this game is what many people assumed XC:EU was going to be like- an updated clone of the original game. An improvement on its core mechanics, etc. Honestly, this game looks like a hell of a lot of fun. It is neat going back and looking at release notes and seeing this game grow and change based on user requests/inputs. I plan on spending quite a bit of time around here and can't wait to get my hands on Xenonauts

Hi all,

here is the next newcomer :-)

First sorry for my bad english.

I am from austria and like the most here i am a big fan of the original xcom game. I bought the new XCOM EU game as it was released and i liked it but it was far away from the original. After reading in another forum i saw a post about Xenonauts and ended up here. I am realy happy to see that so much people wants a game like the original and here it is. So i bought it right away :-)

I hope that Xenonauts is a game that realy need some time to finish and is good to play again and again and..... like the original :-)

That is one thing that i realy dont like in the new XCOM EU, it is far to fast with everything so you can beat the game in a short time.

Something that is great in the Firaxis game ist the abillity to change the look of your soldiers in many ways and that they got nicknames when they survive long enough ;-)

Thats the only thing i miss in Xenonauts, all the soldiers look the same, you cant even see if its a man or woman :-(

I realy would like to see that i can change the look of my soldiers even if its only the colour :-) (and more Portraits )

And if not im still a big fan. After i saw Xenonauts i have installed the Original and play it again.

At the end: THANK YOU guys for making such a great game.

Eh, I hate introducing myself, but what the heck! I hail from the pothole state of Pennsylvania, and I'm not sure how I learned about xenonauts, I think from the Gamefaqs forums. My memory sucks. Anyways, I lived in ignorance of X-COM and games like it for many years, until the first X-COM I got in around 2000 was Interceptor (And I liked it...), so being a fan of that game and Firaxis, I was obviously excited when Enemy Unknown was announced, and somewhere along the line I ended up here.