Introduction thread!

Chris

Hi,

I've been playing the original X-Com on & off for about 13 years. I started in 1998 when I first rented it for Playstation. A short time after, I found it for PC in the budget games section (it came bundled with Master of Orion!) I still haven't finished the game yet, unfortunately I always lose interest after a while, but hopefully I'll finish it before Xenonauts is released :D LOL

I pre-ordered Xenonauts on June 1st 2011, but it's taken me a while to register on this new site. I remember Chris helped me with my account, it was having problems activating.

Ok, I'll stop rambling now.

Hi,

My name is Vince and currently living in Pennsylvania, USA. I already introduced myself accidentally in the OT forum. I've been playing EU, TFTD, and Apoc from the start and chose my avatar from the commander on the BBC TV program UFO, X-Com's inspiration, broadcast in 1970-71. I believe it can still be had on DVD. Looking forward to participating here as much as possible.

Hello, my name is Marut (odd name I know) and I have to say I'm quite excited about this game. I really enjoyed the X-Com series, the gameplay and the atmosphere engaging and I'd like to say that this game seems to have stayed true and certainly improved upon the X-Com series as well.

Just purchased the premium pre-order and I hope that money goes to making this a great game.

I'm Codo...known by the name 'Chris' in my day job (A most awesome name if I do say so myself...and I think there won't be much disagreement on these forums!).

I'm a programmer by day and a board game designer by night (and voracious game player as well). The night job is a fairly new thing, so I haven't quite my first game published, but my partner and I are pretty close. My avatar is a piece of art from the game.

I came across Xenonauts quite by accident. I was in a chat discussion on a board game designers site and someone brought up X-Com. Another person mentioned that they wish there was a more modern version of it to play. I had remembered a game I played a couple of years back but couldn't remember the name, so I started looking it up and passed on the info about UFO:Aftermath/light/shock to them. And while researching that info, I came across Xenonauts. So I passed that info on as well. Got about 3 or 4 people in the chat looking at pre-ordering...and obviously I put my money were my mouth is.

It was also gratifying to come into these forums and seeing all the pre-order badges running around. I'm happy to see I'm not the only one with fond memories of good old 'UFO Enemy Unknown'.

Hello,

I'm Dave. I first played UFO: Enemy Unknown years ago, my brother played it and I used to watch. After a while, I kind of picked up on what to do and started playing. I was never any good at it but I really enjoyed it and it became a favourite of mine.

I found out about Xenonauts at the Eurogamer Expo, I went to check out the Indie games and saw it. A lot of great games there but Xenonauts was easily my favourite.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm Elf. I've been playing the X-Com games for a few years and have loved them, UFO defense most of all. And after I was rather disappointed with the looks of the new FPS X-com, I expressed my discontent to my comrades and they directed me to your site around the time E3 was going on, and I was quite happy with what I found, and have been pleased to see so much progress has been made on it.

I finally decided to make a forum account since I'm hoping to scrounge up the money and spare time to support the project and play some good old fashioned planet defense! If I somehow forget to preorder and face-palm when I see it on the new releases then to the developers: I hope it all goes well for you and thanks for taking the time to make it, I've been waiting for a successor to UFO defense for a while and it's good to see someone coming back to this play-style.

Hi i'm Lime.

Played all the old X-COM games (even Enforcer), + the After series.

Pre-ordered this game a couple of weeks ago, and looking very much forward to the release (and hoping i have something useful to add in the last phase of the Alpha)

I'm a student and i live in Denmark...

Kinda sad i didn't join this community earlier, but can't change that now.

Love what you are doing with the old X-Com formula and i'm looking very much forward to

what looks like a strickly suprior version of my favorite game of the genre.

All my respect and best wishes to Chris and the Goldhawk team =)

Edited by Lime

Hi there,

Name is Jeff and I'm from Quebec. X-COM is the first game I got on my new computer in 1994 it was a 486 DX33... old time ;)

Since then, I've got everything from X-COM and still have the original floppy disk of it.

Got CD (PC and Playstation) version, digital version on Steam and also got the official game guide for it.

I've also played all the X-COM version and clone like that exist (After series and Extraterrestrial) also every X-COM clone in the OpenForge project.

Great work done so far... keep going you are on the right way!!!

Thank you for doing that for us... the real fan :D

Not sure why I've put off posting in this thread for so long; I guess I'm not one for introductions.

Anyways, I'm an independent games supporter/enthusiast, an aspiring musician and writer, and most likely younger than all of you.

I adore a lot of older games, and games that have an emphasis on gameplay over graphics (not to say nice graphics aren't a bonus though!). My computer can't really handle any AAA games that were made past 2005 anyways, which I'm sure had some contribution towards my love for indie games.

I appreciate everything that the Goldhawk team is doing for the X-Com fanbase, and I look forward to sticking around here and getting to know some of you!

Merry Christmas to you all!

I've been around since the old forums, but haven't posted that much. Real life tends to hammer me with work and I can't follow all the threads, despite me wanting the opposite. But beggars can't be choosers. I decided to pipe up again since I finally got the game pre-ordered. Probably won't be able to actually play the game till February or so, but at least it is sitting pretty on my drive. ;)

Looking forward to reading, playing and having fun while doing it all!

Hello,

I'm Mark. I first played UFO: Enemy Unknown years back in my college days when my roommate introduced me to the game. I used to watch him get destroyed by mind controlling aliens and the music was the gameplay was suspenseful. I got retroduced to it by an article in Game Informer that talked about the development of the original game and how no game has really been able to recreate the same environment.

Started looking at a few LP's and found out it was on steam. I have been looking for a remake ever since and hate 2K's direction to turn X-Com to a FPS. Eventually, I found out about Xenonauts through the UFOpedia message board and just pre-ordered it today :).

Looking forward to the progress. Disappointed in the lack of females in the squad makeup, but hopefully modders just add them when the game is released.

Hello everyone! I'm very excited about Xenonauts, I used to play X-Com: Ufo Defense (and the X-Com: Terror from the Deep) game 'back in the day.'

I've seen some videos on YouTube about Xenonauts and it looks fantastic so far, and it spurned me to really want to support the developers to make this into an amazing game.

*** I do have a question though, is there a standalone version of the game available? I don't want to always have to use Desura (or Steam later) to play the game. (And I like Steam more than Desura also). ***

I'm a semi-old fart in my mid 40's and even though I'm an avid computer gamer it doesn't compare to my lifetime white-hot passion for the hobby / sport / artform that is Juggling.

The International Juggler's Association annual festival / championships are in Winstom Salem, North Carolina in 2012!!

Hamster

p.s. If anyone can help me come up with a cooler (or cuter, lol) hamster pic for my avatar, many thanks!! :)

Edited by Hamster
(added the p.s. and the question about a standalone version).

*** I do have a question though, is there a standalone version of the game available? I don't want to always have to use Desura (or Steam later) to play the game. (And I like Steam more than Desura also). ***

A standalone installer has been under consideration, and was mentioned in passing by Chris as recently as three weeks ago. Whether it'll come to fruition or not, I've no idea.

You might also find this thread useful.

When I was younger (21 now) around I would say nine I began to have a real interest in PC games (my first big hype was black and white 1)

Happy and full of dreamy eyed expectation I would sit there and imagine a future where ever more powerful PCs would be used to play ever more demanding and complex games.... Then reality happened.

Desillusioned with the general direction things were taking (streamlining, opening to a wider audience *shudder*) I stumbled upon indie games (DF, ADoM etc) and the good old times of glorious things like Ufo-Enemy Unknown. My realisation that the glorious future I had dreamed about as a kid lay in fact in the past I regressed further and further. Much to my shallow and eyecandyhungry friends bemusement. And then i learned of this Game combining 2 great things: nice visuals and great gameplay (sadly a rarity in AAA titles these days)

So I truly hope that I can convert these heathens to the joys of Gameplay.

Hey guys im Theemperor (Emp for short ) ( got the name from Dune NOT starwars :P )

I remember x-com when i was 5 and loved it so when i saw this today its wired how money left my bank not soon after.

I love knowing that my moneys going to the right place and going to people who deserve it, looking forward to seeing how its it comes out and im sure better than THING that 2K are making :)

Hello, I'm Mike from Nottingham (UK), Been a fan of Xcom since my uni days in 1995.. I mainly played UFO: Enemy Unknown & later Apocalypse. I think the original is still the best! maybe xenonauts might take the crown if it keeps going the way it is at present, So keep up the good work! Occasionally I still play UFO via Dosbox on my PC.. and have even put dosbox on my Android Tablet especially to get xcom on there :D

keep up the good work!

Hi o/ Emily from the uk, being redirected here in my over-excitement :P I don't even know why I loved xcom so much, maybe It was all the back stories and attachment to my soldiers, and that dice-roll gunplay (autoshot totally works with rookies at long range!)

Looking forward to release, hopefully this comes out before the other remake :P