Introduction thread!

Chris

I've been here a little over two months I think. I'm a Kickstarter backer with premium pre-order. I've been playing computer games since the Apple II and strategy board games before that. I have also actually, really, designed and sold a commercial strategy game (although it was not a success.) I loved the first three XCOMs so much I still play them today in-spite of the very outdated graphics and sound. It's hard to beat a good system! Anyway, it looks like we might finally have a worthy successor in Xenonauts.

LOL never introduced myself, and I'm helping developing Xenonauts since January ;)

So.. I'm Giovanni, IT student and independent developer, based in the northen Italy (about 100 km from Venice).

To be honest, I didn't hear anything about the XCom series until I found that help request on an indie forum that took me here. Btw, now I'm really enjoying developing new stuff for Xenonauts, and even more playing it to test it out :)

Name/link or it didn't happen!
It was called Tacstar and was released as shareware in about 1992. It was a space ship vs. space ship (up to five ships on each side) multiplayer game designed to run on a Novell network. You could have up to four players in the game. This was pre-internet stuff. We did have some interesting concepts like full vector movement i.e. once you're ship is moving it will continue to move that direction until you apply reverse thrust. It also had a very tough non-cheating AI. In fact, I could only beat it about 1/2 the time. I think one of the reasons we didn't sell more copies is that it required a network and at the time those were only a work sites for most people, so we were ahead of our time.

http://www.uvlist.net/game-183148-Tacstar

Edited by StellarRat

Hi Giovanni, always nice to see more of the coding team on the site! StellarRat, did you ever dip your gaming toe into consoles (Herzog Zwei ring any bells?) or have you purely been a computer man?
Strictly computers. I just don't see the need for a console when I've got a room full of PC's at home (and work.) Also, I like the ease of modding on the PC.

here to say Hello to everyone!

Big fan of XCom, was in the past on xcomufo forums as Mark0.

I havn't tried any of the other Xcom type games like UFO AI or Extraterrestrials. I had hopes for UFO TTS but it got closed.

I'm really looking forward for Xenonauts because it does have the Xcom feeling! I played the kickstarter demo (V10.2) and got hooked right away.

Im really looking forward to this game!

Apparently I did not introduce myself in this thread. Or did and forgot and can't figure out how to find out.

"Coldbear" back in my WoW days, made some decent movies. Been playing X-Com and Chaos Gate forever, looking forward to Xenonauts and the XCOMEU reboot. Hunters2 on the iPhone rocked. Old Elite/Oolite player.

I'm an immersion/realist/simulationist tactical guy. I hate extraneous UI stuff, like arrows and circles and stuff over dudes on the playing field. I love having a connection with my soldiers, and trying to use real-life tactics to solve problems in games. Will be building a Windows PC - so sick of this iMac that I only got specifically to make WoW movies.

My background:

Bodyguard, mercenary, soldier, sailor, LEO, CrossFit instructor, Deepsea Diver (Atmospheric Dive Suit Pilot). Canyoneer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, this is my first ever post here so I'll try not to embarrass myself too badly. My name's Toby- I'm from England and I recently discovered the Xenonauts project and immediately gave it money I didn't really have. That's how pumped I am about Xenonauts! I got into X-Com about a year back, so don't judge me for being an ultra-newbie, it just immediately struck a chord with me and I've been trying- and failing- to get to grips with it ever since.

Then I saw the new reboot attempts and died a little inside.

Anyway, I hope to post here plenty, and uh... Yeah, hey! I work at a gaming bar in England and I write gaming articles to make my rent, I hope we all get on great!

Oops, seems I've missed this thread. Okie then, here goes.

Name's Dowly, not Downly or Dowley. Dowly. I currently live in the eastern part of Finland. I'M 26 YEARS OLD! *struggles to find enough fingers*

Started gaming when I was.. err.. probably 5 or 6. My brother got a Commodore C64 (cassette loader of course) and I played that a lot. Few years later, upgraded to Amiga, which saw a ton of use as well. Went through the usual, NES, SNES, PS1 and then finally got my first real computer. Pretty much from that point, my game preferences have been simulations, strategy and city builders. Close Combat, Combat Mission, Jagged Alliance, Syndicate, European Air War, DCS sims, Silent Hunter sims, Sim City, Caesar III etc. etc. All very close to my cold, frozen heart.

My X-COM experience is somewhat extensive, yet not so. I played the original trilogy, but only once finished the first game. Always something that distracted me from finishing the rest.

What else.. think that was all... Oh right, my humor might be a little rough at times, so forgive me about that.

Hi All. James here after many years of playing tactical type turn based thingies like fallout, shining force and the many variants of ufo. I live near London.

I have been skulking around this game for a long while and i'm very excited about the way development has been shaped by the feedback of the community.

Greetings, friends. I am Jason, from Green Bay, Wisconsin, across the pond in America. I'm a retro gamer, who's been addicted to these darn things since I was a wee child. I -think- it was 1979 when I played my first video game. Maybe 1980. Anyway, I'm 35 now, soon to be 36.

Fast forward a few years, I played XCom and being a gamer teenager, I was mostly about action games, and such. My stepfather was more interested in strategy games, and he managed to pick up a copy of XCom. Of course, with my background, I want to see and observe. Microprose did make a few games I really liked. Master of Orion, and Red Storm Rising, before that. His influence helped me learn more critical skills, in gaming.

Anyway, I found that the game was just... I'm not sure how to properly sum it up, but the game was interesting. As I played it, I got hooked, and boom. Here I am today. A fan of the XCom series. I've already preordered the new XCom Enemy Unknown. And I knew there was a second XCom game in development, I just never took the time to research it. I'm glad I finally did, because I found this site.

Honestly speaking, the Xenonauts game looks good. A somewhat cleaned up version of the original with some nice enhancements, while keeping true to the original. I must say, I'm pleased and excited to try this one out.

What really caught me, however, is the absolute dedication of the staff. How the money from the preorder is going right back into the development of the game, to make it even better. No gaming company talks like that anymore! This was so astounding, that I've been compelled to preorder (which will happen next week, because like all us old people, we have bills that have to be dealt with). So, next week, either Thursday or Friday, I'm doing the upgraded preorder.

If the game sells for more, I will gladly pay the difference. That is how much this staff has impressed me. Given my experiences in life, and such, I understand how much work it takes to put into making a game. All the production. The testing and retesting. The music that has to be made. The graphics, a monster in itself. And then even after having a finished product, you know it's only the beginning, because then you have to refine it. You have to make sure it matches the same mood as the original. The uncertainty while playing missions. The "scary" factor, because of the fog of war. The attachment of your crew, knowing one wrong step is going to get them killed. All of this, takes so much work!

But I understand it. Making games is not 'fun and games'. It's hard! And I'm glad you're not just pumping something to get it out of there into the market. You're being patient, to make sure the game has quality. This ... all of this, it just makes a better game. One we can pass on to our kids, and teach them what it meant to be a gamer growing up in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Well, this was supposed to be an introduction. I got a bit sidetracked. If you're crazy enough to have read this much, thanks! You have had a glimpse into my mind. The ride stops here. I have other posts to read on the forum.

I'll just close out by saying, Thank You, to the staff that's made this game possible so far. I'm impressed, and will be encouraging others to look this one over as well.

Hi all. Another Aussie here to join the ranks of global protector.

Played Xcom:ufo defense when it first came out.

Been playing it and other strategy games ever since.

Nothing ever really matched Xcom though until now.

The team at Goldhawk are doing a great job. :cool:

Keep up the good work.

I just found this thread :)

From the USA. Age wise.. 50 years old is just months away (am I really that old?)

Been playing computer games since 1978 :D

Never much on real time but I play a couple.

Played all the xcom's of every variant I could find. I happened across this one after finishing another variant I found. Big fan of many of these types. Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 were great. I preordered the new one and cancelled it. Just didn't care for it.

I guess I still have Xcom (played the dos version first :) ), Terror from deep, lots of copies of Apocalypse (Store put them at 99 cents and I loaded up). Then aftermath, afterlight, aftershock? (can't remember the order) Played Extra terrerstials (GOLD). Hey I still have a Playstation copy of XCOM. UFO AI and lots of other variants. Hey! I even played Rebelstar on the Gameboy.

I guess I could go on a for a while :)

I have high hopes and been pointing a few people to this game from the Old Xcom crowd. I think this game has great potential! It has added a lot of nice addons.

See all of you around here.. Waiting for release 16 (or beta :D ).