Introduction thread!

Chris

Hello folks,

I'm Plucx. It's how my friends call me, and it's my own way to show i'm confident enough to wear a funny name.

I played X-Com since it came out, I remember breaking my piggybank to order it at the local computer shop! I went crazy on it. Bought all the follow up but UFO is the best of all.

My first language is French but I learned english in the field. Serve 10 years in the military, saw some stuff.

I really admire your work Chris and all what your team was able to pull out is impressive.

Thank you to let us help you with your baby!

Heya :) Lurked for a while, and preordered in may last year. Got the game for my brother for xmas :) old time x-com fans both.

Started out on TFTD which I found in a supermarket bargain bin in a "Best of some-publisher" style box in maybe 94. The box art and blurbs on the back grabbed my interest and I spent 10 euro or something on it and went home and was immediately hooked. Been playing many X-Com style games over the years, but very few managed to be any good. The first of the new "UFO" series was decent after a thousand community mods, but it was never really that good.

Xenonauts, the alpha build I've tried so far, first I actually played was 8.9, had me sitting and playing it for 7 hours the other weekend when I first booted it up... I must say, after trying that, Chris and his team has to work really hard to screw it up :P

Been trying to spread the word about the game, looking forward to seeing the next posts about the press build on RPS and PCG :) Hopefully more sites will pick up and we can get some more money into the system :D

/Poul

Howdy everyone. You can all clearly see my name, so I won't introduce it, but Rik is short, or Rika if you feel like giving me an effeminate name. Honestly, I don't care which, I've been called both.

I first played Enemy Unknown, (AKA, UFO Defense, though I prefer the British title,) back in early December, after hearing about it for ages and ages.

As a student of Computer Science who wants to develop Video Games for a living someday, I'd actually become quite jaded at much of the games industry. Franchises like Call of Duty and Battlefield had left me wanting. Reproducing the same tripe year after year was taking its toll on my interest to play games, forcing me to strain to find titles both new and old that were actually interesting. I found that intrigue in the Indie Sector, with games like Terraria and Dungeon Defenders leaving a big impact on me. After hearing about Enemy Unknown for the umpteenth time, and how amazing a game it was, I decided to give it a go, because Steam had it on sale for 2.50$.

I went in with no expectations. I can be a bit of a graphics whore, in all honesty. I like some old games, but generally, if something similar, with better graphics is available, I'd rather play that. Imagine my surprise when I'd realized that I'd never played a game like Enemy Unknown. For my first two weeks of Christmas Vacation, I played Enemy Unknown like it was a full time job, sinking 80 hours into the game. I was even more taken aback by the difficulty, harkened to the old days of PC Gaming where the difficulties lied, and 'Easy' actually meant 'Harder,' 'Normal' meant 'Hardest,' and 'Hard' meant, 'I hope you ate your Wheaties today kid, because you're in for a wild ride.' With modern games, I always play on 'Hard' or whatever the top-tier difficulty is, but remembering how old games scaled difficulty, I tried my first game on normal... I eventually wound it back down to the second easiest, after I had surmounted the learning curve, and realized Enemy Unknown would be no walk in the park.

Enemy Unknown was the only game I've ever played that gave me nightmares. And I love that. It stuck out as so horrendously atmospheric and scary at times, that I had the most vivid nightmare I've ever had because of that game. Xenonauts, so far, has been far worse. Every time I hear an alien fire at me from a concealed position, I jump, and not as a reaction to having played Enemy Unknown, but because Xenonauts manages to keep the ambiance in the same vein spiritually as its predecessor. I can't play for extended periods for fear that I'll have another nightmare like that one, and because I'm also a quality-whore and can't make myself play it until it's mechanically all there. (Read: Until Beta probably.)

Once the game's 'Finished,' and all that's left is polish and bug-squashing, I look forward to the many nights of nightmares this game will give me.

Just realised I hadn't put anything in here yet.

I'm another Comp Sci student, and I *really* should get back to work :P. I have to admit that like RikazeMA I'm interested in making video games, but I'll probably end up doing that in my spare time.

That aside, I played and finished XCOM: EU but did not get through TFTD (LOBSTERMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!).

I've dragged another of my fellow students in, and I'll badger him to introduce himself at some point. :D

Hi guys. I burned through a lot of hours playing the original X-COM on my Amiga 1200 back in the day, so snapped up the standard preorder for Xenonauts almost right away (first game I've ever preordered). Looking forward to the completed package. :D

How do I add my 'standard preorder' badge, btw?

Hi guys. I burned through a lot of hours playing the original X-COM on my Amiga 1200 back in the day, so snapped up the standard preorder for Xenonauts almost right away (first game I've ever preordered). Looking forward to the completed package. :D

How do I add my 'standard preorder' badge, btw?

Sticky topic in the general xenonaut discussion subforum: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php?145-How-to-claim-your-Pre-Order-forum-badge!

Hello everyone and greetings from Finland!!

I am Henri, 34 years old and im a long-time UFO: EU fan.

My gaming experience and history is almost 3 decades long and needless to say, born at the end of the 70´s, my first touch with computers was with Commodore 64 as it most likely is with many here also.

When "childhood" was over with C64 i soon went to my first PC which was 386SX 25Mhz and that was the machine which took the original UFO: Enemy Unknown to its small hard drive. Year was 1994 and i just had gotten the best game in the whole wide world. At the moment of course..

Oh, dont get me wrong, i still love UFO: EU and in fact, i played it not longer than a month ago. I bought it from GoG.com a year ago and been playing it since.

I love that game even its almost 30 years old! I dont mind the graphics, it still rocks!!

(But yes, i take these Xenonauts graphics anytime over that original) :D

So, what else does man with almost 30 years of gaming history behind besides 20 year old alien killing game?

At the moment i play iRacing. A lot. The best racing simulator in the world. No need to say more.

I also play Battlefield 3 occasionaly, played BF2 for 350 hours.

Also Company Of Heroes and Men Of War sometimes. Left 4 Dead 2 also sometimes. Flatout 2 sometimes.

My gaming is very variable. I might play one game a lot, then i get bored, change the game, play it a lot, get bored, etc etc..

What else do i do??

Im into RC cars. And mostly RC Crawling. Was 3rd in Finnish Scale Crawling Championship last year, this year is harded as i have to pass couple races because other activities.

Gaming is not my activity on summer, i have better things to do. Winter is long and dark and thats when i play.

Well, that pretty much sums it up. Yep, thats me.

Now, i have to get back playing Xenonauts, i believe i just got back from my first succesful mission.

So far, i love this game as its so much like the original UFO! GREAT job guys, really!!

Thank You

Edited by Henkka77

When "childhood" was over with C64 i soon went to my first PC which was 386SX 25Mhz and that was the machine which took the original UFO: Enemy Unknown to its small hard drive. Year was 1994 and i just had gotten the best game in the whole wide world. At the moment of course..

Reduce the clock rate by 5 megahertz, and that's pretty much the story of my life.

At the moment i play iRacing. A lot. The best racing simulator in the world. No need to say more.

I also play Battlefield 3 occasionaly, played BF2 for 350 hours.

Also Company Of Heroes and Men Of War sometimes. Left 4 Dead 2 also sometimes. Flatout 2 sometimes.

If you enjoy multiplayer gaming, I encourage you (and anyone who happens by this post!) to join our humble Steam group. The membership is currently mostly European, but that shouldn't bother you too much.

If you enjoy multiplayer gaming, I encourage you (and anyone who happens by this post!) to join our humble Steam group. The membership is currently mostly European, but that shouldn't bother you too much.

Nah, i suck at MMO strategy games so badly that i mostly play for example CoH with couple of my friends and we team up and play against computer. I know, quite "nerdy" way to play but none of us likes to play against humans so that serves us well.

Other online games are different, i love racing against other people and havent raced against AI for a long time.

Besides, i like to keep my Steam friend list short and include only people with whom i interact in real life also. Just like my Facebook. ;)

EDIT: Oh, what the heck, why not...

Edited by Henkka77

Hi.

I am Frank aka Oracle1990 (1990 refer to the year I started working at user support called "Orakelet" [Norwegian for Oracle]), from Lofoten Islands, Norway.

Been using computer's since 1978 and have been on the internet since 1988 (if I do not remember wrong).

Been playing (too mutch) computer games and strategy games are still my "coupe of tea".

--O--

Hi everyone...

Spanish guy here, so sorry if my english is poor. I've been reading post in the forum and checkin the xenonauts web for a long time and i could not resist anymore to get my hands on.

I'll try to run the game under OS X with Wine, don't know if it is going to be a Mac release... the truth is i really don't care, i'll play in windows if does not work well, but... will be so nice to have a release in OSX.

Hope this games sell enough to make it worth, i think you deserve it.

Hi All,

been lurking on and off for a while but have now thrown my premium money behind the team - why?

because I believe you will make a worthy game for the xcom series and the news of the Firaxis release and its more 'accessible' mechanics pushed me towards you guys.

I like supporting indie devs - they are the future of innovative and intelligent gaming.

good luck

C_

Hello there!

I'm Mike aka. Woofer and I've been lurking the forums for quite some time before registering finally, and I would like to express how great the game already is (with a lot of stuff still to do, obviously). There is one feature I am missing though - please allow us to upgrade from Standard to Premium pre-orders. Really, please do. *wink*

Fantastic!

That's what I said when I found this site as I was drooling and pouring over information from Firaxis' "Xcom" remake. The more I read, though, the more cautious I became. Not in a bad way, but a feeling of pure excitement to "wait and see". But then, I clicked on a link someone has left in the comments section that said "check out and support Xenonauts!"

Glad I did. I spent some time looking around, read some of the forum posts from the developers, then promptly premium pre-ordered. A very cool, slick re-imaging of a true gaming classic. I'm very grateful that someone is finally getting it done right (at least to us cranky, don't-change-anything old timers like myself). :)

The Xenonauts team has my full support and I sincerely hope you succeed in every way. Thank you for doing this!

Jay (a.k.a. "P-DEX")

Edited by P-DEX