Help with finding Wraiths

aaa...Put a soldier and every room of the base and you might get lucky he will teleport into that room...I don't know...From what I've seen in alien base(didn't get any of them in my bases) they teleport out of line of sight...Don't quote me on that...I don't know if it's true...I just saw a couple of Wraiths appear in the room when my guy was turned around...

I've been in the same situation a few times, and it just gets annoying. Having spent ages either just camping, or running around the base like crazy (inevitably getting shot a few times) I have just given up and reloaded the game from before the mission. I've stopped playing on IM mode because of various balance issues and bugs (aliens seeing/shooting through walls, etc.) but if I had been I'd probably have started a new game as it is that frustrating.

Xenonauts is extremely fun and addictive, but seemingly never-ending "hunt the last wraith" situations just make it fall flat. The game no longer feels challenging, just broken. In outdoor daytime missions, wraiths are a great gameplay addition, forcing you to watch your back constantly, and it works because your team can scan a large area and so spot them. In the confines of a dark base it doesn't really work.

As for possible solutions, I'm not sure - maybe make it so that the distance a wraith can teleport is related to the number of turns since the last teleport, so if they're teleporting every turn then they can't move so far. Or impose a minimum turn limit between teleports. Or maybe make it so they can only teleport to a location that they (or another alien) can see.

Sorry Taking214 - I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I'd actually been considering creating a post about this before, and it's interesting to see others have the same problem.

I find that Wraiths often have a few places they like to teleport to. If you can identify these places, keep an eye on them. They're usually covered and somewhere a bit out of the main line of battle.

Also, once you hear the teleport sound during Hidden Movement, start counting teleports. Every turn pay attention to it. If you hear a teleport, check your sixes. If not, sweep forward and try to kill the Wraith(s) ASAP. Try to use total number of teleports during each enemy turn to get an idea of how many Wraiths you're facing. Did you hear one teleport? Two? Three? How many unaccounted-for teleporters are there on the battlefield?

As it stands, I find fighting Wraiths to be a pretty fun experience when everything goes right. I've had to hunt them in alien bases and that's a lot less fun, except it got pretty easy to lock down all their favorite hidey-holes. I've not yet had them in a human base and that would probably be a harrowing experience that I do not enjoy the thought of. But outside in a UFO assault, if the AI chooses to use them tactically, Wraiths are a fun opponent. Scary, but fun.

fighting these in base defense is so stupid, pointless and anoying, literally took me HOURS to clear last wraith before to the point where I WANTED to wipe. And now im doing this on a new game... pffft uninstall worthy.

fighting these in base defense is so stupid, pointless and anoying, literally took me HOURS to clear last wraith before to the point where I WANTED to wipe. And now im doing this on a new game... pffft uninstall worthy.

Well you know...it IS an Early Access Beta...so a few bugs and balance issues are to be expected

obviously. I have had many crashes and balance issues, but things that completely brickwall your game should be first prioty imo.

the AI for wraiths in base defense doesn't try and flank you or do anything offensive or smart. it only teleports every turn to a room you are not in, constantly running away. i've beaten it by chance before after many grinding hours, but if you are down on men it is quite simply an impossible never ending ground battle.

That seems like kind of a niche issue to me, I wouldn't rank that as first priority, personally. Now, something that everyone will definitely experience all the time, like making the air combat make sense, that should be a priority (and it appears that it is.)
Shouldn't the wraiths have limits on their teleporting abilities such as time between, limited number, limited distance? That seems logical to me.

@StellarRat

I agree, I dont think they should do it just to do it either, it should be for tactical advantage.

I HAVE seen them use it fairly well to flank or cause me issues when they "engage" but they seem to be quite mercurial about its use...almost seems like they just get a kick out of using it...I can almost hear them shouting "WEEEEEEEEEEE!!! YEEEEEE-HAAA!"

@StellarRat

I agree, I dont think they should do it just to do it either, it should be for tactical advantage.

I HAVE seen them use it fairly well to flank or cause me issues when they "engage" but they seem to be quite mercurial about its use...almost seems like they just get a kick out of using it...I can almost hear them shouting "WEEEEEEEEEEE!!! YEEEEEE-HAAA!"

The number of jumps they can use per battle should be limited, so towards the end you don't have to be on a wild goose chase for hours. I HATED having to find the last "hiding" alien in original game. It was a complete waste of time and not fun.

The number of jumps they can use per battle should be limited, so towards the end you don't have to be on a wild goose chase for hours. I HATED having to find the last "hiding" alien in original game. It was a complete waste of time and not fun.

And I agreed with you.

Thankfully I havent had to experience that yet personally.

• 4 weeks later...

Tentaculat on the cruise ship?

I had a similar fun experience, on my iron man game, in my main base... I was chasing the last 2 remaining aliens, one of them being a wraith. Considering this was the 2nd wraith I ever encountered (I shot the first during a terror mission without even noticing it had teleport powers) I didn't give the teleporting it's due consideration...

I ran up all my soldiers towards the two remaining aliens. One of them was hiding behind some crates, waiting for me to blow them up or snipe him. The wraith was teleporting back and forth between 2 rooms the last 5 turns. After killing the first alien, the wraith decided to teleport not to it's usual 1 of 2 rooms, but RIGHT INTO MY COMMAND CENTER! I had only 1 soldier still nearby. I ran everybody back as fast as I could, but didn't manage to kill it in 3 turns, since only my crappily ballistic rifle-equipped soldier could shoot at it. I was already crying that this would cost me the game, since it would hold my command center for 3 turns. But what did the brilliant AI decide? To TELEPORT AWAY ON TURN 3! :rolleyes: Even better was that it teleported just out of sight range of 3-4 of my soldiers and it got killed the turn after. So, for everybody doing a base defense: always keep 1 guy in the command center since the wraith doesn't seem to want to teleport into visual range of any of your soldiers :)