I don't give a damn if my hunter car explodes because it feels like it is a big cover with gun. I really like the idea of hiring a crew, crew stats would affect vehicle stats, if the vehicle would break or explode some of the crew might make it out and some of them would burn to death. If one vehicle takes up 4 spaces in a transport, it could have a 4 men crew or less. And if vehicles hp gets to zero it wouldn't always get destroyed but crew would take damage and have to get out and the vehicle could be fixed after battle. This is just an idea, I know nothing about coding so I'm not sure how hard it would be to make this work. :)

Dont know if its too much but if youd need to hire pilots for aircraft that could make losing aircraft and a ace pilot really painfull.

This is pretty much the reason I'm passing on ground vehicles right now - the fact that they don't progress at all makes every one of their kills a robbery committed upon my infantry. Though I understand this probably won't be happening, is there any chance of vehicle skill progression being moddable?

Vehicles are there to save the day and the lives of your troops. Not to play experience games with. You can regard them as robotic units. XP farming has to be discouraged. Either use them to save lives or not use them and suffer your casualties. Your choice. I vote for them not to gain experience.

I don't use vehicles at all, and I haven't for many a build. I'd rather get as many soldiers gaining experience as possible. In this build I'm kept busy enough or poor enough not to need them.

I will, most likely, have a go with them in the new build. The point of the vehicle is that it has decent armor and HP at the beginning, making it a must have with TFTD. Xenonauts seem too easy, up to now, to need them. Your death count is low enough, the aliens miss quite often and, even when they hit, it is not a single-hit death, in the early game. So, I guess, they are pretty useless. The whole point about your soldiers getting experience, is to make it out of the mission alive.

It was probably the loss of one hit killing that meant I wasn't ever likely to return to them. I do recall early builds where having one as a scout was invaluable. They came in handy for Base Defences too.

As a scout and a cover. It was capable of sustaining 3 or 4 hits at the early game. It was invaluable. I always made sure I had 2 of them, when I could, or at least one of them. Having none usually meant, either a failed mission or most aquanauts dead...I remember many occasions where I was feeling quite content to have escaped with only a couple of deaths in missions without a tank and especially proud with no deaths. The rocket launcher carrying tank was especially useful for giving a hand out of dire situations as well, while the other one had a decent accuracy, especially compared with the rookies which were pitiful.

Vehicles are there to save the day and the lives of your troops. Not to play experience games with. You can regard them as robotic units. XP farming has to be discouraged. Either use them to save lives or not use them and suffer your casualties. Your choice. I vote for them not to gain experience.

Exactly how does experience-less vehicles discourage XP farming? If anything, it only encourages me to forego them entirely and get a pair of xenonauts instead who WILL (the sun God willing) grow to become excellent troops. Their not gaining experience isn't a fair trade-off, it's encouragement not to use them altogether.

Besides,

$280,000 – Vehicle Combat Experience – soldiers level up with experience, vehicles do not. This would allow vehicles to increase their stats (not armour / health) by a maximum of 15% with combat experience.

It was a stretch goal - surely they wouldn't propose a stretch goal that went against their design vision?

Seeing my troops grow over time and missions is something I enjoy tremendously, with it comes the pain of losing them and the joy of watching them overcome desperate situations. Beyond the amount of work required (could it really be that much?) I do not see how this would negatively affect the experience - only give those who wish it joy in growth and pain in loss.

Again, any idea whether this might be moddable?