[UI] Aufklarer's Soldier Role Images

Aufklarer

I understand what you mean. I just don't like how the 3D shotgun is mostly out of the frame, and simply looks odd. Of course, the 2D shotgun isn't what the shotgun looks like anyway, so it's kinda a moot point.

I've actually switched to Steel's "Grey Icons", the ones he most recently did with the grey background and the white guns. They are 2D, and therefore more readable, and they include cutouts (like the carrying handle on the top of the AR is cut out on his, but not on yours. That helps to make it more distinctive and readable).

Perhaps once you've got all the 3D up and running I'll go with those; at the moment your's are too inconsistent due to the in-progress change from 2D to 3D. ;)

Are you going to do color stripes for the other two tiers of weapons?

Why do both you and Steel have such good role image packs? I'm forced to choose. :( haha

Yes I will make both plasma and mag weapons 3D with coloured stripe versions. After they are done I'll go back and work on the 2D roles as they were done fairly quickly to get the 2D pack complete. Ill be adding more additionals in between all of that. I have a few more ideas from people they wanted included.

It was hard to chose between the 2D and 3D but I went ahead with the 2D for readability. It really works really great in the game and I really love what you've done so far. My only gripe is the inconsistency of the 2D images. Some are plain and some have a glow effect then others have lines one them for detail. I think my favorite ones are the plain ones.

For readability I think it would be cool to add a letter to the main roles the way they have in the vanilla version. Maybe something like this?

r.jpg

Also, do you know what is the deal when changing roles it pulls what looks like a bigger version of the image and makes your image look pixelated? If you don't understand what I mean I can send you a screen shot when I get home.

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm hoping its something that they intend on refining closer to the games end. The same image file is used and magnified. Also the scroll bar to cycle through the images is the same. There Isn't any reason why they can't display them in the same resolution as they are displayed on the soldier screen. The whole role change and setting of default load outs needs to be redone to be honest as it isn't the most intuitive. I can imagine it's a tidying up issue rather than part of chris's main focus right now.

Ill look over the 2D Images and remove the glow effect as I have for most of them already, the ones I haven't done are probably either an oversight, or the additional and ranks which I haven't had the chance to look at yet. I had only knocked together the 2D ones pretty quickly anyway, I intend to improve the quality of those at a later date as there are plenty of 2D ones around. Its a work in progress. I will add in the letters when I get some time as you suggest. I was going to concentrate mostly on the 3D ones for now but it seems a few people prefer the 2D icons so I will look at modifying those.

P - Pistol

R - Rifle

S - Shotgun

G - Gunner or H - Heavy

M - Missile or RL - Rocket Launcher

S - Sniper or M - Marksman

There are a couple of role letter conflicts there, any ideas?

Well, since there's a big picture of the gun right there the role letter shouldn't matter too much, right?

I recommend creating multiple letters for each weapon image where applicable. That way you can choose to have a Marksman role and a Shield role, or have a Sniper role and an Assault (shield) role. Options are good. :)

My Suggestions:

Pistol

P - Pistol

C - Commando

Rifle

R - Rifleman

Shotgun

A - Assault

CQ - Close Quarters

Precision Rifle

M - Marksman

S - Sniper

Machine Gun

G - Gunner

SG - Support/Squad Gunner

Rocket Launcher

RL - Rocket Launcher

HW - Heavy Weapons

Combat Shield

S - Shield

A - Assault

(I don't know how many letters you can cram in there without it looking lame; two is probably safe, three is probably pushing it a little. Thus, I've kept it to two letters per role icon, and to keep numbers down, two different letter combinations per role.)

Roles I've used in my own game:

Picture - Role Name

Pistol - Commando

Rifle - Rifleman

Precision Rifle - Marksman

Machine Gun - Support Gunner

Rocket Launcher - Rocket Launcher

Combat Shield - Assault

(shotgun not used for a primary weapon in recent times)

Edited by GizmoGomez

Well, since there's a big picture of the gun right there the role letter shouldn't matter too much, right?

There is no problem if you're in the loadout screen. The visibility of the role is only an issue when you're in ground combat and you're trying to find your Sniper or Heavy amonst all the rifleman by hovering over the soldier numbers.

I really wish they had the portraits on the left a-la conventional RPG to pick your soldiers instead of the numbers. I think that would bring you closer to your troops and make it easier to pick the right soldier for the job.

Something like this wouldn't hurt:

alien.jpg

As for the role names I agree with Gizmo on this one. I like the conventional role names over the names of the weapon being used.

Edited by Jsleezy
picture

Ill add letters in the next update then, which will probably be when the mag weapons are done in 3D also. Ill use the role names as opposed to the weapon names. If there is anything else you'd like to see please let me know.

Jsleezy I know your pretty handy with graphics, is there any way to increase the resolution that photoshop works to. The images im creating are limited to detail by the resolution at the moment?

Jsleezy I know your pretty handy with graphics, is there any way to increase the resolution that photoshop works to. The images im creating are limited to detail by the resolution at the moment?

If you go to Image>Image Size>Resolution you can change the resolution size there. 300 pixels per inch is usually used for printed material and 72 ppi is used for monitors. I think the assets for Xenonauts are saved at a high ppi rate but can't remember what at the moment. So you could save them at a high pixel per inch to get a better resolution when it scales it up, but I'm not entirely sure if it will work (I mainly just do stuff for the web). Also, you could try "save as" png instead of saving it for web, assuming you're saving it for web.

I meant as in Pixels Per Inch. Either way I opened Aufklarer's files in Photoshop and they seem to be saved at the same PPI as the originals. The games takes the 80x80 image and blows it up to 200% it just don't look as bad since they're just letters. I would try to save the files as 160x160 at the original PPI resolution and see if it scales it down to 80x80. I'm not sure if it will work since it all depends on how the game was coded but it's worth a shot. I hope he saved all his work as vector files.

Sorry for the late reply I have been really busy with the incoming guys from the UK we are handing over to, Ill be coming home in about 3 weeks or so. I have everything saved as PSD files and PNG files. Ill fiddle about with the PPI, it's been about 6 years since I last used photoshop for stuff and I have lost alot of the knowledge I had. Cheers for the pointers Jsleezy i'll take a look when i next have some spare time.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 3 days until I leave afghanistan so its mega busy here with the handover and I haven't had the time to continue with the project at the moment. I will add you request to the list and produce a couple of icons in the next release. When I go on leave i'll be able to devote a bit of time to finishing off the mag weapons I have started.