Cut it's wings off.

The crashed UFO model is the one thing that I hate about Xenonauts. It should be square/round/triangular/hexagon. Trying to introduce a complicated shaped UFO in this sort of game just does not work for me. It's about strategy before eye candy.

i think hes annoyed hes not confused by its deceptive layout. I remeber back in X-com you could se part of a larger UFO and have no clue where the acctual entrance was because all parts of the UFO looked the same, or like 3-4 smaller UFOs glued together.

He might be getting flashbacks to other X-com clones and getting annoyed because of that.

Actually Moonie, can you explain why the current UFO model is worse in terms of strategical depth.

Approach, line of fire, positioning of the crashed ufo. That sort of thing.

It's not only that, I think the present ufo looks kind of messy and not very interesting. How about a tear-drop shape, that would be quite cool?

I'm not sure i quite understand. I think most of us think this design add more strategical depth then the old ocatagons of UFO:EU. could you elaborate on HOW it is worse, in terms of strategical depth, in those areas you mentioned?

It's not only that, I think the present ufo looks kind of messy and not very interesting. How about a tear-drop shape, that would be quite cool?

As I mentioned before it's not the only UFO in the game. (well it is atm but it wont be later on) A lot of us likes the UFO or atleast see no reason to change it. Do you think you could stand it if you consider that its one of many and there will be other shipdesingns?

the fact that it has two parts, so close together yet so far, really means that you can break up your approach to the UFO, having groups concentrate n one end first then the other. Also it allows you to walk around both sides, should you want to.

as for line of fire, well they are wings, and 'hugging' the ufo as you progress probably isn't the smartest. Just like trying to use a jet's wing for cover by standing behind it. It's not meant for cover, it's meant for flying. This means that you don't hug it, and you should maybe try going around the buildings etc. around the UFO, skirting wider opening up your field of vision etc.

positioning of the ufo can presumably go in all 4 cardinal directions, unlike X-Com where it could only go in 2... Overall this UFO seems to imply more strategy, not walk up to UFO, hug the walls until I reach the door which can be in one of 2 places...

I'm more interested about if it planned that the connecting tunnel between the engine room and main room is meant to be able to be used.

What do they do if the engine breaks in space and they can't get to the engine room?

I dont really see the need of haveing them connected? is it convenice, your idea of reasonable ships design or gameplay reasons that makes you want them be connected?

I'm sure theres an alien version of scottie from star trek in those engine rooms just happy to be locked up there during flights.

um well as I said if the engine breaks and there is no way of getting there and fixing it...

anotherdevil: i was implying they had the onlyone capable of repairing the engine locked up in the engine room during flight anyway. If it blows theres no point in getting to it since the one that can repair it is already there and noone else can rfidddle withit in the right way.

Wouldnt that be the smartest course of actions for the aliens? to ahve the guy maintaning and repairing it be in that compartment to begin with?

Its not very comfortable though. It just seems odd to have an important part of the ship inaccessible from inside the ship, unless it leaks vast amounts of deadly radiation or something, but that adds other questions about why aliens are found inside.

Its not very comfortable though. It just seems odd to have an important part of the ship inaccessible from inside the ship, unless it leaks vast amounts of deadly radiation or something, but that adds other questions about why aliens are found inside.
Trying to fix the crashed ship probably
anotherdevil: i was implying they had the onlyone capable of repairing the engine locked up in the engine room during flight anyway. If it blows theres no point in getting to it since the one that can repair it is already there and noone else can rfidddle withit in the right way.

Wouldnt that be the smartest course of actions for the aliens? to ahve the guy maintaning and repairing it be in that compartment to begin with?

What happens if whatever causes the engine to break kills the guy inside? Then he can't fix it and all his mates die too...

What would kill a person inside the engine room without makeing the engine either fubar or causing you to be unable to reach the engine without getting killed by radiation or whatever? I'm sorry but you will have to help my imagination out here... i just cant imagine it.

Are we suggesting consoles blow up in the engineers face ala star trek? That allways puzzled me. why did the navigation or comrelay blow up in the bridge when the engine gondola(?) or weapons array was hit? Sure it made for better TV but whats the connection? Is it some kind of electrical powersurge? and they still havent put in shieldings in the powergrid after the first 3000 times that happened? And all spicies in star trek suffers from the same construction flaw?

/rant