Cut it's wings off.

I think the wings of scouts should be walkable; they're flat enough.

They should be something. At the moment, you can't shoot through them and you can't walk on them, BUT, at the same time you can walk on them and you can shoot through them. In short the alien ufo wings are a pain in the bum, they don't even look the part....cut the wings off and squeeze the hull into a pretty shape, you know it makes sense. ;)

What would kill a person inside the engine room without makeing the engine either fubar or causing you to be unable to reach the engine without getting killed by radiation or whatever? I'm sorry but you will have to help my imagination out here... i just cant imagine it.

electrical surge, piece of non-esential machinery falling on their head, glass (or whatever) from the consoles slitting their throats, rupture in the hull that could be fixed by wearing a suit of some kind, etc.

Except for the last one all those sounds like "TV adapted" damage rather then damage that would acctually be caused to the ship. There's no camera in the ship showing the crew throwing themselves left and right ans the cameraman shakes the camera to simulate takeing fire.

The last one ok, but why not have the engineer wear the suit in the first palce?

The ships may not be ideal for atmospheric flight at all.

If you have good and reliable EVA suits a simple walk along the hull looking at the stars can get you to any part of the ship.

It also allows you to use a large part of the ship as shielding in case anything goes wrong in the engine compartment.

Things that could kill the engineer could also include radiation leaks, EM spikes, Hull breaches, broken steam pipes (every space ship should have a steam pipe for when things get damaged) etc that would not destroy the engine and could be easily fixed by anyone who could work the controls or stick a patch over a hole.

The ships may not be ideal for atmospheric flight at all.

If you have good and reliable EVA suits a simple walk along the hull looking at the stars can get you to any part of the ship.

It also allows you to use a large part of the ship as shielding in case anything goes wrong in the engine compartment.

Things that could kill the engineer could also include radiation leaks, EM spikes, Hull breaches, broken steam pipes (every space ship should have a steam pipe for when things get damaged) etc that would not destroy the engine and could be easily fixed by anyone who could work the controls or stick a patch over a hole.

It is powered by a 'Rollian flux bypass anti-grav patrtial flux ploggienot generator' and thus, has no need to have the design of a jet fighter. In fact the alien ship could be a shed, and still fly.

Ha.

It mostly just concerns me due to how small the ship is. The engines use anti-matter/high-energy storage medium, so making it so that the engine can only be accessed from outside the ship seems strange, since if the engine core destabilised having it not connected really wouldn't help with survival.

Then again, as the Iceland Incident showed, there isn't anything that can help with survival if a core goes boom beyond being miles away. So chalk it up to 'aliens being wierd'?