Base attack mission is very hard

That is a collision detection issue. its been noted in the bugs. similar thing happens on carriers where they can shoot you through the floor.

Move your guys one step away from the wall it usually fixes the issue where it detects that there is a wall there

also drop more flares in the area your troops are in.

I think it might be related to the walls not being "seen" on the map and thus the game might not be detecting the wall

Edited by Wrath_IX

Also if one alien spots you, others on the other side of the map will occasionally try to fire at you.

I had all of my hangars at the top of my base, but the medbay in the bottom left corner apparently was a back door for a pack of caesans... =?

They were very aggressive, rushing through to the nearby labs while all of the aliens in the hangars just sat there, camping from the barrels.

Fortunately, after various save scums I was able to learn how these med-bay caesans worked and contained them in the medbay, dumped stun gas in there and finished them all off. THe hangar aliens were much harder though... <_<

Also if one alien spots you, others on the other side of the map will occasionally try to fire at you.

Just like your own soldiers can do. After an alien is spotted, all soldiers can attempt a shot at him, no matter if they can see him or not. It is a feature and a realistic one, in my opinion.

Just like your own soldiers can do. After an alien is spotted, all soldiers can attempt a shot at him, no matter if they can see him or not. It is a feature and a realistic one, in my opinion.

Yeah but sometimes they try to shoot through multiple walls from the other side of the base or other such ridiculousness. I get that the AI is probably just trying to blow down the wall with plasma weapons or penetrate them with HV weapons, but it seems like there should be a range or number of walls or something after which the aliens doing bother with that.

Yeah but sometimes they try to shoot through multiple walls from the other side of the base or other such ridiculousness. I get that the AI is probably just trying to blow down the wall with plasma weapons or penetrate them with HV weapons, but it seems like there should be a range or number of walls or something after which the aliens doing bother with that.

I agree this is a problem but it is a known bug. The aliens are not supposed to try and fire through walls like that. My guess is that the AI code is supposed to take in consideration the ability to penetrate cover but the initial implementation must have missed these unreasonable results.

The tricky part is that shooting down walls is a valid tactic. I'm not talking about a UFO hull or anything, but say shooting down a wood barn wall to get to the alien behind it was a great X-Com tactic once you got the better weapons. Aliens should have the AI to be able to do this sort of thing. Also not shooting THROUGH walls of course.

They try to shoot through invincible base walls...

I'm cool with aliens spotting for each other in open maps sometimes they will bombard a wall I am behind; however, they usually try to do it inside their UFOs, firing outside and sometimes even getting shots through.

also drop more flares in the area your troops are in.

I think it might be related to the walls not being "seen" on the map and thus the game might not be detecting the wall

This.

After much testing it seems as though when you end your turn without a wall inside your soldier's view, aliens will treat it as open terrain inside bases. Very odd but a simple workaround is to make sure you have a soldier "facing" the walls you feel the alien fire will come from at turn's end. Sweeping your soldiers around the outside base walls and clearing rooms from the outside-in also helps because you shouldn't need to cover as many walls.

If you have a solitary soldier surrounded by aliens outside his current room location it can be a game breaker to say the least because you can't have all 4 walls inside your one soldier's view. You'll likely get shot in the back.

Very very odd to say the least lolz

It's very hard to narrow down just what is going wrong in alien bases because they seem to use the old blind fire trick too. It may just seem that way though and it's all one of the same.