Question: Do planes still die? Or are pilots issued Phoenix Downs or something?

So, I have yet to lose a plane (it's still the first month of my play through, I'm a pro yet ;)), and I heard someone say something about the undying planes being added in this build (v19 Exp. HF2). Is that true? Or did I simply misunderstand?

If it's true, that planes simply get repaired after they're shot down, how come when I was messing around I "lost" two condors when I had them continue a fight (that they had already won, mind you) with no fuel? Wouldn't they just show up in my hangers, then? I mean, an unpowered landing is much more easily salvaged than an unpowered landing with the fuselage shot to pieces, right?

The planes shot down are gone, so are the ones that continue to fight when they dont have the fuel to make it back to base.

Although honestly I dont love the not enough fuel to make it back to base thing.

Wouldnt they just land at another airfield? Or in a clearing of some kind perhaps?

I could understand that if they couldnt make it back to base there was a delay of some kind as they had to stop elsewhere and refuel, or if they hand to do an emergency landing there was a delay in recovering the plane.

But Pilots in real life dont just fly back towards the base as far as they can until they drop out of the sky and explode into the ground...

What was completely unrealistic and stupid about my specific case was this: I had literally just shot down the scout, it was dead and the icon was fading, and the air combat "cool down" was starting, you know, when nothing happens and your planes just fly forward a bit until it fades? Well, it was during the cool down that the two low fuel prompts came up. Since pressing yes would require me to fly to the edges of the screen to leave the battle (and I wasn't about to retreat from a fight I had just won), and I knew that the air combat was over anyway, I simply pressed No, don't return to base. So, both my pilots decided, you know what, lets not even try to make it back to base. Lets just shoot ourselves or something. :/