Chris. *Important* Don't alienate the "normal" pre-orders

Aelius

I don't know, I don't think people fully appreciate how little the devs have actually made thus far. If only 1500 people have pre-ordered this game, even if they were all the premium pre-orders (Which they're obviously not), They're still under middle income for a year's wages for a single person which THEY are not. This doesn't even take into consideration the taxes they will have to pay for this. I don't know all of the expenses that come packaged with game development like this, but I'm sure there are some and those on top of living expenses, assuming they don't live in their parents' basement, makes even that optimistic sum a paltry one.

Simple statement, getting in on the ground level of a game like this is worth my money and I would've given them $30 if I'd had it to spare at the time or if I'd had the patience to wait until I had the money to spare. :-P

We've all had the experience of purchasing a $40-$60 AAA title only to find that we tired of it in a couple of weeks. I doubt this game will suffer from such a shortcoming.

Just something to think about.

There will be a funding thermometer (and therefore an option to donate) later on I believe.

I like the game, I like the TEAM, but a funding thermometer seems more like "And where's your donation?" thing. It seems, well, more like a petty thermometer. I mean, look how much money he's getting from ALPHA buys, and it's expensive already with that , then you go and donate 10 more dollars. I personally would think that letting you buy the game, then showing you that you that they need "$500 more dollars to go!" and seeing that apparently donating didn't do anything, would be annoying. If it would be the case. Mk, here's what I mean: You ask for a lot of money for Alpha. You expect more people to donate with the economy and how much the just spent. And then if you see the thermometer not go up, you feel bad.

- Wolfy <('o'<)

Your post is a bit hard to read. are you talking to me or Chris?

look how much money he's getting from ALPHA buys
You ask for a lot of money for Alpha.

I'm not asking for any money at all, I'm just another gamer on this forum.

I like the game, I like the TEAM, but a funding thermometer seems more like "And where's your donation?" thing. It seems, well, more like a petty thermometer. I mean, look how much money he's getting from ALPHA buys, and it's expensive already with that , then you go and donate 10 more dollars. I personally would think that letting you buy the game, then showing you that you that they need "$500 more dollars to go!" and seeing that apparently donating didn't do anything, would be annoying. If it would be the case. Mk, here's what I mean: You ask for a lot of money for Alpha. You expect more people to donate with the economy and how much the just spent. And then if you see the thermometer not go up, you feel bad.

- Wolfy <('o'<)

I'm not sure you know how a funding thermometer works. Or what Chris has sunk into this projectof his own saveings. And you seem to be overestimateing how much he gets from the preorders. That money isnt going straight into his pocket that goes back into the project in the form of hardware and salery to people like matthew and the sound guy (who's name im currently forgetting) and the part timers working on the project.

If you dont want to donate anything beyond the preorder then that's your perogative, but to complain about it when others want to help the project more then just the preorders? Not really your thing to say Imo.

- Wolfy <('o'<)

No no it's just like the preorders. There are plenty of people who haven't preordered the game, and that is fine. Lots of people don't want to 'risk' that money for an untested game from an unknown company. That's their choice.

Same goes for the thermometer, give money if you want to see some of the extra features in the game, if you're not bothered, don' worry about it!

And if you don't want to know how it is going, don't look! =]

No no it's just like the preorders. There are plenty of people who haven't preordered the game, and that is fine. Lots of people don't want to 'risk' that money for an untested game from an unknown company. That's their choice.

Same goes for the thermometer, give money if you want to see some of the extra features in the game, if you're not bothered, don' worry about it!

And if you don't want to know how it is going, don't look! =]

Where is the thermometer? I want to support this.

- Wolfy <('o'<)

Consider that Tim Schafer and Double Fine just raised 1.25 million (and more) dollars in under 2 days from donations on a fundraiser at Kickstarter, I figure that people have a lot more money they're willing to throw at things that mean something to them.

Consider that Tim Schafer and Double Fine just raised 1.25 million (and more) dollars in under 2 days from donations on a fundraiser at Kickstarter, I figure that people have a lot more money they're willing to throw at things that mean something to them.

Quick side-note, that's insane btw, heard about that just last night, and they were at 800,000$-ish at the time the video I watched got posted.

I agree with Gorlom and AD, I think you're misunderstanding the point, as well as the function, of the thermometer, and they've said most everything I would have on the matter, except...

Look at Minecraft, that started as an Alpha Kick-starter project very similar to how Xenonauts is doing. Without that early funding, Minecraft may never have gotten off the ground to become the massively popular game it is today. The difference between MC and Xenonauts is that Xenonauts is catering to a niche market, X-Com fans and hardcore TBS gamers who're looking for something with some life and challenge in it. This makes the idea of Xenonauts becoming insanely popular the way Minecraft did less likely, and some extra cash to feed back into the machine certainly wouldn't hurt Goldhawk.

Also, Gamers are a motivated and generous breed, we're willing to put time, effort, money, blood, sweat, and tears into something we feel is a worthy cause, and I'm sure most everyone here will agree, a true spiritual successor to X-Com is a worthy cause, at least to us. I'm sure there are some who would go out of their way to figure out how to send Chris donations for the project regardless of whether or not he was 'asking' for them. Which he isn't. He's offering the option, subtly; not directly asking but making his request known. As has been stated, it's not like you have to donate, the game will probably get finished regardless of whether or not you do, and a donation thermometer isn't meant to make you feel bad, it's only there to offer the option should you feel strongly enough about the game.