Chris. *Important* Don't alienate the "normal" pre-orders

Aelius

Chris, some future xenonauts players may feel a little unease pre-ordering what may seem to them yet another "X-COM wanabe". So they chose the "normal" pré-order. That doesn't mean that they don't want to support the game... they just feel uneasy giving up 29$ to a, and lets face it, unknown delevolper.

So i personally don't want them to feel that they aren't giving they support to the game.

STANDARD PACKAGE:

- Access to play the latest development build right now!

- A Steam or Desura key for the final game on release day!

PREMIUM PACKAGE:

- Access to play the latest development build right now!

- A Steam or Desura key for the final game on release day!

- A custom title and badge on our forums!

- Other possible unannounced goodies!

* The premium package is for those who want to show support for the project (ie. if you believe a proper X-Com remake is worth more than $20). The money goes to development of the game, so this is a great way to help us out if you do!

The bold part is the part that bothers me. It's important to change that in order that normal pré-orders feel that they too are supporting the game to some extent. like this:

"The premium package is for those who want to show extra support for the project"

PS: i know its a big wall of text just to change one word... but one word makes all the diference.

If you saw a Chrisalid walking towards you, wouldn't you say everything nice you could think of to stop becoming a zombie?

I've heard Chrisalid are such friendly creatures and badgering it with nice comments will only make it want to hug you more... and then turn you into a zombie.

Chimp, yes, fair point. I'm not sure how we'd implement that but it sounds like a worthwhile idea. I'll have a think.

I vaguely recall stumbling upon an upgrade option for some game on Steam. Considering that they deal in DLC that requires the original title to play, their back end being able to handle such requests is a given.

But how about Desura?

• 2 months later...
If you saw a Chrisalid walking towards you, wouldn't you say everything nice you could think of to stop becoming a zombie?

How'd you know? YOUR A CHRYSSALID YOURSELF!

On topic: I like the upgrade idea:3 I want to get Pokemon White this month and I MAY have ten dollars left over. Although, I AM going to a hockey game too.... gosh. Money decisions are the hardest.

For my part, there is no way for me to spend more money than I already did. To already give your precious money for something that is still in the work is like being a stockholder without any way to make a profit, or a game tester that is not paid for his testing. Being a bit broke at to moment too, I can't spend money in the clouds. But still, I contributed because I beleive Chris and his team are doing a great job. We, the pre-order buch, are like philantropist :). Some are richer than others.

Seriously, was someone complaining? All it means is that the premium prebees were willing to gamble a lil more money. If this hurts your feelings, you have way bigger problems. All in all I think the standard prebees are the smart ones. I know I still have my 10 bucks and this still potentially great game. I know you think your 30 bucks spent for this Alpha Release Game makes you a super supporter of the independent game arts. I think it makes you a sucker. 20 is a bit steep for any alpha. But this is XCOM reborn we are talking about, and that justified my 20 dollar investment into this independent developer. I bought the right to test this game and a pizza. You just bought the game.

I know that nobody in this thread was being overtly l337est, but I have noticed it other places and I thank you for starting this thread, and allowing me to vent a lil.

It's also assumes that the game will be equally good regardless of how much funds Chris gets to work with.

I guess hes thinking of regular preorders from gamestop and whatnot where there is already a finished product and the funding for the game is from the publisher rather then the communities preorders / donations.

Although I don't understand why anyone would have a "superior" attitude depending on how much anyone has chipped in to help the project. Everyone that wants to contributes how much they want doesnt mean that anyone is better or anything.

The idea of upgrading packages is a really good one, and one which I am very surprised digital distributers, steam being the prime example, don't make use of as it would seem to basically be a way of printing money when it comes to "digital special editions."

Someone might not be willing to pay the extra money before they know they like the game, but if they do like the game spending a little more to upgrade to a "special edition" or whatever would probably be an option at least a few people would make use of.

It's not like it is that hard to create and sell a code which updates from a standard to an advanced version.

Can't find these answer on the forums, if you can link a thread to me that be cool too.

When will these awesome game be sold on Steam? Don't use Desura and its the only option on the pre order links (unless am blind) . Once that's added to the pre-order options or ends up on the steam site. I will support you with a pre-order asap!

You could allways buy it without installing desura I think? There should be a standalone link available for those that doesn't like to have desura installed. (not sure where you will have to slouth around the forum a bit)

I don't think that Steam will be available untill the game is completed. At least thats how I understand it.

Edit: AD beat me to it.

Here's what I think.

Put up the Thermometer, say 'screw the upgrading thing,' for now at least. I think there are probably an awful lot of us who've pre-ordered, (Like myself,) who could care less about the bells and whistles that come with the premium package.

Honestly, the badge and tag? Couldn't care less.

The soundtrack (Once the full one is in, if it isn't already.)? Yeah, I might honestly fork over an extra ten for that.

The opportunity to show my support to an indie dev group who's doing one of the greatest games I've ever played the justice it deserved ten years ago? Yes please.