Anti-psi?

I hate to be a noob on my first post but I just had to ask this. I have been looking around the forums and website and have found nothing on this, I was wondering if because human psi powers where removed (I think that is a good thing) will there be some type of anti psi item to prevent the aliens from controlling your units in any way?

Thanks much,

Zorac56

btw going to bed now so don't be miffed if I don't respond soon :P

nice thanks for the info Chris and others :D I am glad you will because the one thing I hated about enemy unknown was when I had a high ranking person with great gear and we come into contact with a mind controlling sectoid for the first time and I learn that my high ranking person with power armor and a heavy plasma is extremely weak minded and gets possessed in the first few turns of the mission.

Edited by Zorac56

I guess I was the only one who hated the whole PSI thing from the original X-com. It drove me NUTS when you built up your team to have the aliens come in and take control over them. Death in combat was one thing but to have troops die from their own hand was painful.

I am praying that this game gives a LOT of control over settings so that if there are certain aspects we don't like we can easily turn them off. Options...love lots of options in games.

I actually didn't mind Psi much although I myself was rarely using it. Just didn't find it as satisfactionary as properly executed military action with precisely coordinated soldiers. I also must express joy that human-side psionic abilities were taken out. While it may cause problems for some veteran x-com fans who enjoyed mind-controlling their enemies, I didn't like the fact that at first whole humanity despite the research of psi and occult is completely clueless and then after one discovery turns regular, even if elite, infantry into bunch of little wizards.

I actually didn't mind Psi much although I myself was rarely using it. Just didn't find it as satisfactionary as properly executed military action with precisely coordinated soldiers. I also must express joy that human-side psionic abilities were taken out. While it may cause problems for some veteran x-com fans who enjoyed mind-controlling their enemies, I didn't like the fact that at first whole humanity despite the research of psi and occult is completely clueless and then after one discovery turns regular, even if elite, infantry into bunch of little wizards.

lol I love how you put that I didnt exatcly enjoy human psionics in xcom either it just didnt make sense to me

I too think it's a bit unreasonable to have sudden (relatively speaking, the game time is only a few years at most) development of psionics in humans, even if they DO have to use artificial amplifiers.

However I'm wondering if other Psi based tech than pure defence might work somehow. Not sure if anything would be better than what humans could already produce at that point in the game. e.g. If you made some sort of psi bomb (I hardly think humans could build such things unless it was partially duplicated from alien tech or using some genetically cloned tissue sample etc) it would stun enemies around it... but why not use an electrical stun bomb?

Just wondering if anyone can think of a Psi tech device that might be useable, not overpowered, and have some sort of psuedo-rational as to how the humans can build such a thing. (please, no mind control missiles!)

Someone brought up a Psi-Triangulator item in a previous thread about this. It basically let you track down and find psi-using aliens (by marking the spot where they used their powers last I guess).

That or psi-defense drugs. Psi is also resisted based on Morale.

Ritalin? Space-ritalin? Its not so much making you more brave, but more focused and able to ignore the alien's influence. That's what the Morale defense is based on. Well led, confident soldiers are better able to 'keep their heads' than lone, half-panicked ones. You get additional morale for being near other soldiers, extra if those soldiers are higher ranks, and a futher one from having officer-ranked soldiers in the general vicinity yelling at you.

Edit: And why do I keep thinking your username is Thor?

Ritalin? Space-ritalin? Its not so much making you more brave, but more focused and able to ignore the alien's influence. That's what the Morale defense is based on. Well led, confident soldiers are better able to 'keep their heads' than lone, half-panicked ones. You get additional morale for being near other soldiers, extra if those soldiers are higher ranks, and a futher one from having officer-ranked soldiers in the general vicinity yelling at you.

Edit: And why do I keep thinking your username is Thor?

I believe he said his given name was Tor in his introduction (thor to english speakers)

I like the psi triangulation, and the psi drug instead of a mechanical psi defence (i.e. tin foil helmet ;) ) sounds more plausable. One thing occured to me as an ability was panic, but how humans could realistically find a way to generate such would be tricky. Dead zombified alien head with probes in it and a few AA batteries, thrown at enemy like grenade and makes them panic?.... maybe not.

Oh, I dislike the psi-drug idea immensely. Sounds fiddly. Psi-defense armour would at least having its own tactical consequences (either really flimsy or really slow).

As for panic...Fire? That's something I'd really like Xenonauts to have. Stuff set on fire panicking (or at least running around stupidly like in Apoc).

Indeed that is so. Might be due to his avatar too (which looks like a 'Thor' somehow...)

His avatar looks like a Bjorn to me. :P

Although it might be noted ive been playing Puzzle Agent 1 and 2 from telltale games when i say this. (not that the bjorn in that game looks anything like his avatar)

lol Flaming panicking aliens of death! See them burn! Yeah, seeing one of your own people burning alive would kind of be a bummer wouldn't it. But if that went in it would work both ways. Do aliens have incendiary missiles/grenades? Flaming plasma variant guns (wide stream, low intensity plasma as apposed to a plasma beam)?

The psi drug doesn't have to be 'in game' to work. You could have a 'drug patch' or something that is applied like armour. Works throughout the battle and acts just like any other piece of equipment. I just thought that since we know human biology a bit better than we're likely to understand alien tech that a drug based psi tech is slightly more feasible than mechanical psi stoppers.