redunion1940

Which Era of Gameing have you enjoyed the most?

To put it simply I want to know during which time frame did you enjoy playing video games the most.

It is going to be broken down like this

1980-1992

The era of text games, simple games. With a few gems sprinkled in here and there. Build mainly either all on story or game play. In My opinion I would call this the Silver Age of games (but like I said it had some hidden gems)

1993- 2004

The era of 2D and isomorphic graphics, games suplemented limited graphics with stronger stories, this was the hay day of adventure games, the beginning of the RPG and FPS, the rise of Sid Meir, The conquering of the world by Microsoft. Also seeing the rise and decline of the PC platform as the premier gameing platform. This in my opinon is the Golden Age of Video games, the right level of narriative with the leave it to imagination graphics. (Well except for that detour with Video adventure games ya know the one with movie clips)

2005-2012

The era of 3D games, when FPS became the dominent game genre, game length shortened as graphics took up valuable space. Grinding in RPGs was replaced with side quest(well except for WOW, but that came from 04) Studios were hit and miss on balancing graphics with good story. Consoles took there place as the main stream popular gameing device. ( I would call this the copper age)

and the 4th option is

1980-2012, You enjoyed it all equally.

Now to be honest, I would say almost every game is linear is some fasion. You have a storyline, or some end goal point to achieve, and the in between can be short, just simple hallways, or wide open full of side quest(or grinding). I have played very few games with no particular goal or storyline in mind, one of the few being Mount & Blade.

I also believe that game play has constantly improved I love my old games from the 90's and early 00's but I can agree that a lot of newer games have better game play (with some exceptions). The problem I think some of us older games have is that some of the games we loved playing have either pretty much died like tactical strategy games(X-Com, Jagged Alliance, while RT I would include Close Combat here) Well until today apparantly or been absorbed, Adventure games basically becoming apart of RPGs. The big difference between the 2 before they merged

In RPG's you got quest, went and killed, collected XP, and repeat the cycle.

In Adventure Games You maybe had an idea on your Quest/story, completed puzzles, repeat the cycle.

Then they merged and you have multiple quest,and puzzles.

I'm rambling but I am going to say the 93-04 selection because I have played almost no games from the 80's due to my age. But I can see good points in all of them but I loved that era.

Pick yours and tell us why you like one era and maybe hate another one.

EDIT: I some how accidently turned off the poll, right before I submitted for the post. So just say the era and why, and I'll try to keep a running total at the top here.

1980-1992: 0

1993-2004: 10

2005-2012: 0

1980-2012: 0

Edited by redunion1940
attempted to turn poll back on.

1993-2004 without a doubt.

Infact I can be more specific about the end date.

March 2003. The month EA finally murdered Westwood Studios.

:( just doesn't do it justice, there isn't an emote sad enough for that.

1993-2004. I was too young for the -92 option, and I really dislike the "gotta look good even if it smells (read plays) like crap" mentality going on.

^ agreed I'd add another significant date as the start of the demise, March 15 2000 (beware the ides of march!) When Eidos shutdown Pumpkin Studios..

P.

Perhaps 1980 to March 2003 would be more accurate for me because even to this day I love text adventures and rogue-likes.

Who needs graphics when the story is good or better yet you are creating your own story!

Yeah EA has done a lot of bad stuff, and I wish they would let another studio say petroglyph studios do Command and Conquer 4, want to know the next installment in the Kane series. And it would be nice if they would tie the 2 series red alert and tiberium back togeather.

OH, God where would C&C be without EA interfering and misunderstanding why people liked it. (I don't count C&C 4 as C&C 4)

I am old enough to have been through all these eras and while the first era, 1980 - 1992, holds a lot of value for me I can't put it ahead of 1993 - 2004 simply because of the advent of FPS. Oddly enough I am pretty burned out on FPS and generally don't play it all that much anymore, but it was still Wolfenstein 3D and Doom that just blew me away with what they did during their time. To me that was the era that really pushed computer gaming the most and made them more fun than anytime I recall since I started gaming. It was the side scrolling shooter type games that were so popular at the time and I was so burned out on them I pretty much didn't play computer games anymore until FPS got me back into it. It wasn't too long after that that X-Com came out and did the same thing for me.

For me it has to be the 1993 - 2004 era.

1993- 2004 - No doubt. Too many great games to list. It really was the golden age for PC gaming.

A few of my favorites...

Strategy / RTS / Tactical:

X-COM (1993) *Best damn game of all time*

Syndicate (1993)

Master of Orion (1993)

Master of Orion II (1996)

Stars! (1996)

Afterlife (1996)

Dungeon Keeper (1997)

Dungeon Keeper II (1999)

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate (1998)

Warwind II: Human Onslaught (1999)

Warlords III: Battlecry (2004)

Warhammer: Dawn of War (2004)

RPG:

Bloodnet (1993)

Shadowcaster (1993)

Fallout (1997)

Fallout 2 (1998)

Planescape: Torment (1999)

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (2001)

* Seriously, could Black Isle Studios do no wrong in this era? Wonderful and timeless games.

FPS/RPG/First Person Sneaker:

Thief: The Dark Project (1998)

Thief II: The Metal Age (2000)

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines (2004)

1993-2004

Command and Conquer series mostly. I did like CnC 3 though.

To add another few titles to Riddleys FPS list:

Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament and Half-Life are obvious additions for me but the pick of the bunch in my opinion Aliens Versus Predator, man that game scared the crap outta me so much I hardly played single player but the multiplayer was some of the best fun I ever had gaming.

Strategy wise I'd also throw in the Close Combat series of WW2 games especially the 3rd game The Russian Front, without a doubt the high point in that series for me.

With CnC I am 100% a Westwood fanboy, for me the series ends at Yuri's Revenge simple as that. Of course it might have something to do with one of my earliest games being Westwoods Dune II: Battle for Arrakis.

"Wormsign Detected!"

:eek:

Looks like we are all in agreement, so time machine to 1993. Haha no it was a good time, when there was a lot of small but AAA companies that could try new things. Heck EA was even good during this time. Activision was good. It didn't cost a lot to build great games, so it let them try so many things.

Also side note, I have never played Dune 2, I have played Dune 1 (the adventure/strategy thing and loved it.) And I am a avid fan of Westwood, just never got around to dune 2.

Also we can all hope and pray that EA somehow doesn't mess up bioware or maxis, considering there track record.

Westwood,

bullfrog games

Probably many many more.

Not to mention that the 1993-2004 era was the golden age of game modding too.

I'm pretty sure back in the early 2000s I had filled 1/3 of the memory of my dads PC with Unreal Tournament mods.

:o

All the past aside though I must say I am finding the current situation, and hopefully the future to come, very interesting.

The growth of indie games, at least partly in retaliation to the homogenising of gaming by a great many of the big developers, could be as good if not better than the golden age.

While there are a lot of poor/quick cash in indie titles there are also a great many people putting out wonderful games.

Super Meat Boy, Explodemon, Stealth Bastard, Section 8 Prejudice, that x-com style game set in the cold war who's name I can't remember...

Not to mention that the 1993-2004 era was the golden age of game modding too.

I'm pretty sure back in the early 2000s I had filled 1/3 of the memory of my dads PC with Unreal Tournament mods.

:o

All the past aside though I must say I am finding the current situation, and hopefully the future to come, very interesting.

The growth of indie games, at least partly in retaliation to the homogenising of gaming by a great many of the big developers, could be as good if not better than the golden age.

While there are a lot of poor/quick cash in indie titles there are also a great many people putting out wonderful games.

Super Meat Boy, Explodemon, Stealth Bastard, Section 8 Prejudice, that x-com style game set in the cold war who's name I can't remember...

I definitely agree with Inkallim on this. Indie games are set to be the future of real gaming. Despite the dramatic increasing in graphical presentation I can only think of a handfull of big name games in the last 5 years that have excited me. Big name games have simply become to similar and monotonous for that route to continue to be successful in future game development especially with the price of buying those games. How many nearly identical FPSs/ sport games do we need? Games like Dwarf Fortress and Xenonauts are the sort of things that those who have played strategy games since childhood want. The richness, the character, and the cleverness of classic games is why Indie Games have such huge potential.

I vote for '93-2004, why??

I'll give only some names: X-Com Apoc, Total annihilation, Dungeon keeper, Earthsiege, Carmageddon, GTA, and a game we will never see again: UPRISING!!! :(

1993-2004. For me, it's from the first Diablo, Carmageddon and MDK, to GTA San Andreas. Definitely the most creative period. There are few exceptions, like The Witcher, that I really enjoy.

Edited by Stanko

1993-2004

It was the greatest gaming era for me because I had the gameboy color and then the gameboy advance and there was alot of amazing nintendo game's coming out and it was a social activitie because I went to kid's place and everyone had a gameboy and was playing and exchanging games together.

Well, in general I did enjoy games from the 90s quite much but even in other years there were some interesting titles. Although I should point out that you seem to be a bit off in your description, redunion - grinding is still very much apparent in most MMORPGs while in more traditional RPGs multitude of sidequests and whatnot was visible in quite a few great titles - in 90s RPGs were actually already quite nicely established and often far more developed than 'keep on killing stuff for exp and loot'.

In general, though, I'm not really caring about any particular 'ages'. There are quite some great games which kept me hooked up nowadays, there were quite some in the faraway past, hopefully there will be some in the future. And while nostalgia makes me recall fondly what I was playing when I was younger, there's a few gems that are as fun now which are also far more developed than wonders of the past. Although given that I am far more interested in the indie titles still full of the good old gaming spirit, maybe the best years of enjoying gaming are behind me now.

Option 4 here: Despite all the general whining, games have gotten quite good these days and yet a good few of the older ones still hold up.

I have to go with the 93-04 consensus as well.

Modern games are too similar.

It isn't because people lack ideas for games it's because the people controlling the money aren't interested in the games, just the amount of money they make.

If they can sell 20 million generic fps games or risk selling 150 abstract games they will always go for the big seller.

If you accept game making as a business then you have to accept that few people will take risks with their business.

1980-2012, and growing. There have always been good games, mixed with oh-my-ruptured-eyes-and/or-other-bleeding-organ-of-your-choice bad games. (Take a look at stories of truckloads of crushed E.T. cartridges, cicra 1983.)

Really, there hasn't been a single year since I started gaming that hasn't had something make me grin from ear to ear in simple happiness, whether causal, console, pc or portable. (I've been gaming since the 1980's. I'm nearly qualified for my second hearing aid now :P)

Edited by Dix

I'll go for 93-2004.

I just love too much Baldur's Gate and Jagged Alliance 2.

But one of the commenter wisely pointed that the problem today with the games is not the developers, it's the producers and investors. The market of computer games nowadays is really mature, and thus no one is willing to take unnecessary risk.

Although I wasn't gaming until the early 2000s, the late 90s is definitely my favorite era. Pretty much all of my favorite games, such as Fallout, Freespace 2, HoMM III, and SMAC, come from that time period.

There's plenty of good games nowadays, but that's the period I prefer. I also enjoy the added advantage of people not being able to employ the "it's just nostalgia" argument against me, as I didn't start playing any of these games until years after release.

Looking back and trying to remember while filtering away what is nostalgia (seeing as I can't have nostalgia for new games it is unfair to take that into judgement). I would say that I have enjoyed gaming all the way through all the categories you listed.

Im no4!

I started my games experience with ZX Spectrum but I enjoyed the most 1992-1998 (Amiga and PSX era)

Edited by Amiga4ever