V19 Experimental Build 2 available!

It's a work in progress. :P

Also, if we were to wait until he/she definitely got shot, it'd be too late to show the plasma bolt coming from the direction, defeating the purpose. Perhaps if the shot is calculated to hit it will focus on the guy and let you see the shot coming in and hitting him? If we could get close misses in that as well that'd be awesome too, since I'm pretty sure that a plasma bolt flying past your face from any direction would be pretty darn noticeable.

Maybe calculate if the shot hits the soldier or the shots get near him and then show that anyway regardless if the soldier would see it or not. Like you said.

Hi,

* I've noticed in V19 B2 that sometimes, when you return from a mission, the soldier weapons are not reloaded for the next mission.

* I've also tried to plant a C4 on top of a rock. I've set the timer to "2" by right clicking, and then I've left-clicked on the rock. The C4 disappeared from my inventory, but no explosion happened in many turns afterwards.

* This one is more of a feature request: Please allow us to cancel an airplane relocation while the plane is in the air moving towards its new base.

Farm "Hedge" tiles around fields appear to be bugged, and I am still experiencing issues with Aliens inside ships being able to see and shoot at me, the shots dont go through the ship haul however.

I honestly dont like the Farm "Hedge" tiles.

They "look" odd. (I can walk out my door and see miles of farmland, so I am familiar with what farms look like in several US states at least.

They make the tactical gameplay feel a little less deep as it feels like you are fighting in open squares lined with brick walls.

They are confusing to understand, several people upon looking at them assume they are only half cover and not full cover (Soldier standing next to one seems taller than the brush/hedge.

After you play with them some, they appear to be raised earth (Half cover) with brush on top of it (Half cover), so its basically half cover stacked on top of half cover.

If damaged the brush is destroyed and you are left with a 4 tile square of half cover dirt, which can be seen over and shot over, however due to it seemingly functioning like 2 rows of half cover (Think two rows of parallel fences touching) meaning if you shot over them, you have to roll and pass a 50% chance, and then roll and pass another 50% chance to have the shot go over them.

This is obviously odd as it's like shooting over a wall and having to win a 50-50 chance to not hit one side and then again not to hit the other side.

If further damaged the tile is even with the surrounding terrain, however it shows as black that cant be revealed. (This could just be a missing graphics tile?)

And at this point they can be shot over without penalty, however you cannot walk over them, and it seems you should be able.

But all in all it seems there are several things to be worked out with them, but I think just lining the fields with a strip of brush, or just a simple barbwire fence would function better. ( I get the sense you are trying to make fighting in an open field feel less like an open field, and understand that. )

However I think farms should focus on having sectioned fields separated by fences, and then have a couple/few large barns and maybe a farmhouse. Even a large rectangle metal sided barn with a specific type of equipment in it would be interesting, such as tractor and plows, or dairy equipment.

Another thought...cows. We need need Cows, lol.

(You KNOW you want to use a cow as cover, admit it!)

Also the melee bash could knock them to a crouched position (Cow tipping, couldnt resist)

But do I want to see a plasma fight across an open field with several cows running around flipping out in the middle? Yes, yes I do.

(They could be treated as civilians and move on the alien turn, though you dont get points for saving cows of course)

Edited by Mytheos

Not all farmlands are in the U.S. Most farmlands in Europe are full of hedges. However, I agree that the specific hedge implementation is a bit iffy. They feel unrealistic and you are not certain which squares are covered by the hedge. You can only find out by the inability to go there..Hm.

Edited by ThunderGr

Not all farmlands are in the U.S. Most farmlands in Europe are full of hedges. However, I agree that the specific hedge implementation is a bit iffy. They feel unrealistic and you are not certain which squares are covered by the hedge. You can only find out by the inability to go there..Hm.

Yeah I mentioned in the US at least with the understanding its different throughout the world perhaps.

Overall it does feel though beyond the hedge tiles the farm maps seem to have lost a bit of charm they once had.

I just remember them having a more creepy-scary vibe with the thought of aliens hiding in barns, and also the aliens being on the 2nd story of them shooting out windows, and being on the roofs.

I get the sense though that 2nd story combat is a not implemented thing yet

Edited by Mytheos

Yeah...also having dreams of dynamic lighting...and the fantasy of foggy maps (Not fog of war but foggy, obscuring the details of things as well as limiting sight) and of course rain.

Mmm...stormy, rainy night missions with roaring thunder and flashes of lightning illuminating for a moment, shadowy figures in the distance...

Seems like we will have to keep dreaming about it :(

It's one thing that would really bring some life to all maps, they do seem... empty and naked sometimes. No forests, woods, swamps, mountains, it's not really about having sloped terrain, a lot more different props would do GREAT in map environment. Big trees, bigger boulders (not just the occasional rock conveniently placed there for cover), water, you mention it. They kinda go a bit too much towards EU2012 philosophy.

Maps in JA2 were (are) great for having so many terrain features, and there aren't any slopes either. They could be a great inspiration to Xenonauts maps.

Yeah, not all props need to work as cover. Shoud be pretty easy to add flavor props that dont have any gameplay properties what so ever. Small stones and rocks, debris, grass, bushes, all kinds of random crap.(JA 2 is a great example for this!) The maps could really use more stuff to make them look lived and not just artificial shooting ranges.

Edited by Skitso

Yeah, not all props need to work as cover. Shoud be pretty easy to add flavor props that dont have any gameplay properties what so ever. Small stones and rocks, debris, grass, bushes, all kinds of random crap.(JA 2 is a great example for this!) The maps could really use more stuff to make them look lived and not just artificial shooting ranges.

Amen to that.

More props have been added as the builds have gone on and the maps have continued to look better. Hopefully this will continue. I do agree, I'm not as taken with them as I was with the EU1994 ones in terms of immersion.

But do I want to see a plasma fight across an open field with several cows running around flipping out in the middle? Yes, yes I do.

But then, what if the cows...

[video=youtube;FQMbXvn2RNI]

Posted before but always fun :)

Yeah...also having dreams of dynamic lighting...and the fantasy of foggy maps (Not fog of war but foggy, obscuring the details of things as well as limiting sight) and of course rain.

Mmm...stormy, rainy night missions with roaring thunder and flashes of lightning illuminating for a moment, shadowy figures in the distance...

I had a dream...

Seems like we will have to keep dreaming about it :(

...that you shattered...Damn!! I remember Baldur of the Evil eye(part of the Celtic Tails series in the 90s) having weather on the battlefield!! It is not that hard!

It's one thing that would really bring some life to all maps, they do seem... empty and naked sometimes. No forests, woods, swamps, mountains, it's not really about having sloped terrain, a lot more different props would do GREAT in map environment. Big trees, bigger boulders (not just the occasional rock conveniently placed there for cover), water, you mention it. They kinda go a bit too much towards EU2012 philosophy.

I agree 100%

Maps in JA2 were (are) great for having so many terrain features, and there aren't any slopes either. They could be a great inspiration to Xenonauts maps.

So many references to that game makes me curious. It had never stricken me as a "must play"...hmmm.

The original X-COM series did have all that. It only missed weather, as far as battlefield conditions were concerned.