V19 Experimental Build 2 available!

The thing that really gets me is that it takes 11+ hours to refuel a plane - thats insanely long (unless the pilot goes for a nap :P).

Agreed, I assume the high refuel times are to keep us from being able to sortie with the same craft too many times per wave, but I think it's much too long atm. Repair times seem too long as well, my record is 247 hours to repair a Corsair so far.

Wow, 11 page thread!

I'm going to talk about more detailed Geoscape balance issues in the beta forum - but a few notes on the current state of things:

Air combat missiles do have a bit of an issue right now where their maximum range is exactly equal to their fuel - so if you launch them at maximum range and the target is doing anything but moving towards you the missiles will run out of fuel before reaching it. Giovanni is looking at a fix for this.

On aircraft cannon: I removed the armour from all but the largest UFOs, which is essentially a huge buff to these because they did so little damage per shot. Therefore, to keep them from becoming overpowered they has also been hit with the nerf bat. Each "bullet" fired in the game actually represents a burst (listen to the audio), because when I tried making it fire 6000 rpm (like the real Vulcan) it slowed the game down.

Also yes, for certain targets you are definitely going to need to despatch multiple interceptors to take them down - that's intentional. Refuel times are also intended to limit your sortie rate, and encourage you to build more "interceptor" bases. Remember I have a target for the maximum rate the player should be going on ground combat missions (to avoid repetitive gameplay, and keep resources tight), and these are some of the tools I am using to try to reach it.

Edited by Aaron

Also yes, for certain targets you are definitely going to need to despatch multiple interceptors to take them down - that's intentional. Refuel times are also intended to limit your sortie rate, and encourage you to build more "interceptor" bases. Remember I have a target for the maximum rate the player should be going on ground combat missions (to avoid repetitive gameplay, and keep resources tight), and these are some of the tools I am using to try to reach it.

Multiple sorties are what's happening right now for medium size UFO (mostly cruisers), but vanilla finances won't allow for much expansion.

End of January, massive UFO are popping in. All i have is 2 Corsairs and 6 Mig split in 2 bases, no way i could have any better and have my soldiers decently equipped, unless i completely skipped Laser weapons. I also went from no armor to Buzzard, what i can afford, and had to completely skip any sort of ground vehicles.

Are you focusing on Geoscape balance and finance at the same time? Things are quite tight, might lead to premature end game for lack of assets :( it could be helpful if you tweaked finance on the easy side for now, so we can keep going without fear of losing for some silly mistake made months before, and have to keep restarting over and over. Can't find bugs in later stages with more advanced tech if we can't get there without tweaking files, which might lead to false bugs :(

Also, keep in mind that turning the game into a $$$$ lockdown may make it very linear - drive straight or hit the ditch... EU comes to mind. Xenonauts should be distant from any arcade influences...

Edited by Xenomorph

Any hints on which targets are designed to need multiple AC to down, or what the desired ground combat rate is (so we can compare your goals to what we're actually seeing)? And I second the need for a lot more money in the game if we're supposed to be building dedicated interceptor bases.

Currently it feels like I'm dedicating the overwhelming majority of my resources into aircraft, which really isn't fun and takes away from the enjoyable part of the game (ground combat).

Currently it feels like I'm dedicating the overwhelming majority of my resources into aircraft, which really isn't fun and takes away from the enjoyable part of the game (ground combat).

I fully concur. Focus hopefully will still be ground combat with some air combat toppings ...

Aye I second the increase of $ as well(or balance the amount of money that's actually needed). Especially if "repetitive" crash raiding is trying to be reduced. Can barley even afford a second base let alone arm it with some protective infantry & interceptors.

Also noticing with the heavy lack of finances Im skipping a lot in the game. Either I don't bother with vehicles or don't even look at laser weapons or both cause i need my corsairs or second base to deal with the Heavy fighters or otherwise.

Now i don't mind taking my time and planing stuff out making sure i balance quality over what is needed now but the game rushes you to the point where you either skip an entire tree/s or die.

Such an ultimatum feels very linear in a sandbox kind of game.

Edited by Tericc

In my two games, it's not actually been a lack of cash. Both are in December. I'm not loaded here, but I do have funds. It's been a lack of Alenium that led to a delay in funding. As soon as I got that, then I could build my first corsair. However, as tericc posted, I had pretty much skipped lasers (I couldn't recall if they took up Alenum and how much), I don't bother with tanks anyway, but had Jackal armour on 5 troops and had a second base with 3 condors.

Been playing with Air Combat for a bit on normal.

I have to say I am very impressed, excellent job.

Though its a bit too hard for normal as it is, however I assume the difficulty will be rebalanced based on difficulty in the future, again two thumbs up.

Had a few crashes, not sure of the cause, but nothing major. (Air and Ground combat both)

The stun grenades seem kinda OP 8-)

yeah, the stun grenades have been mentioned and will no doubt be getting tweaked. If only to make the batons worth bothering with.

I always thought the idea of using a stun baton was an impractical idea based on the situation...so I found the stun grenades refreshingly smart.

But yeah to start we should have to risk a breach using a stun baton and then develop the grenades later, but the grenades should "stun" damage them over time, with the ideal utilization being to wound the enemy (less HP = unconscious quicker) and then toss grenade, or toss then wound but try not to kill type of situation.

Finally the stun rocket to be the reasonably easy way to do it, and researched last. (Doing more stun damage on hit and over time)

I am playing right now and just finished making a couple of Gattling Lasers.

I have a base in N. America, and N. Africa.

I am trying to transfer one I just made to my N. American base but I am having trouble getting it to work? Are transfers bugged?

I go to the screen, set the quantity under transfer to 1, and then click make transfer but again its not working or I am missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.

I

But yeah to start we should have to risk a breach using a stun baton and then develop the grenades later, but the grenades should "stun" damage them over time, with the ideal utilization being to wound the enemy (less HP = unconscious quicker) and then toss grenade, or toss then wound but try not to kill type of situation.

Finally the stun rocket to be the reasonably easy way to do it, and researched last. (Doing more stun damage on hit and over time)

Yeah, I'd go with that. It's better that they are tiered to be able to get the most use out of each. Why have a baton when you can thump them form a rocket launcher. Agree about the dispersal affecting the enemy over time too.

I am playing right now and just finished making a couple of Gattling Lasers.

I have a base in N. America, and N. Africa.

I am trying to transfer one I just made to my N. American base but I am having trouble getting it to work? Are transfers bugged?

I go to the screen, set the quantity under transfer to 1, and then click make transfer but again its not working or I am missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.

You sure you have storage on the destination base???

I wrote a bit before, just played a bit again..

stun grenades are AWESOME.

I'm not using my regular guns almost at all. Stun grenades are actually much stronger than stun rockets even, doing much more stun damage and making a lot more smoke.

I think if stun rockets and stun grenades were switched in stats, it'd make much more sense.

It's only towards early-lategame that I have to use other weapons, because the alien heavies start requiring 4 stun grenades each (although because of the stun smoke you can just fill the alien ship with it and they all go to sleep, so it's fine.

About the new enemy turn screen on ground combat, i don't like it because i think i should see at least what is happening in front of my soldiers, and maybe if they get hit by the side too. I don't know if when they get hit from the back the game should show something.

It's a work in progress. :P

That being said, that could be a good idea, actually. So, obviously any thing whatsoever that happens in front of our guys, in their field of view that is, should be focused on and seen, but if anyone gets shot it should focus on the soldier being shot. We'd have to think of how we could "see" from which direction the shots were coming. I mean, we could simply refocus the camera on whichever guy is being shot at at any given time, but that's too much movement. Also, if we were to wait until he/she definitely got shot, it'd be too late to show the plasma bolt coming from the direction, defeating the purpose. Perhaps if the shot is calculated to hit it will focus on the guy and let you see the shot coming in and hitting him? If we could get close misses in that as well that'd be awesome too, since I'm pretty sure that a plasma bolt flying past your face from any direction would be pretty darn noticeable.

Yeah, not a fan of all "seen" movement being hidden, unless you get lucky and it shows around the edge of the hidden movement icon in the middle of the screen. When my guys are taking reaction shots at an alien walking in front of them... how is that in any way hidden? And I still have to wait for all the shots going off and listen to them go off... it's not really saving any time.

Error error... it still says "Alien turn" at the top while moving the hidden movement screen around in the middle of my troops... where a civilian is running around. That I apparently can't see. SNEAKY CIVILIANS.

Edited by svidangel