Geoscape issue - a big one!

So I've been playing for three months ingame now and I've noticed a certain discrepancy/imbalance when it comes to UFOs attacking with the potential of being game breaking. I either get fighters, which simply get destroyed, or medium UFOs my Condors and Foxtrots can't do jack about (the Foxtrots might, but with a total of 2 torps and 2 missiles each this is a futile attempt because you can only have 3 planes per squad. I researched the X-37 but lo and behold, I can't build it because I'm out of alloys. This also means I can't upgrade my soldiers' equipment, and I have a pretty bad assumption of where this will lead down the line.

Now, obviously there is the possibility of me doing something hideously wrong at the start of the game, but err, this was on easy because I wasn't all too comfy with the strategic part of the game just yet. Furthermore, it's not like you get to do a whole lot with the starting funds. In all honesty, it should not at all be like this on the lowest difficulty and imo needs fixing asap.

It is a balancing issue. There is a big deal of balancing going on this stage of the game, and it's being discussed right now on the beta forums, with personal thread for the geoscape. Also look for the difficulty balancing. Perhaps you can find your answer there?

And "imo needs fixing asap" is not a magic spell. Stop using it, please.

Hi, man, relax! Build more Foxtrots and research at list alenium explosives. By the way do you know that it is possible to change missiles to torpedoes in weapon layout of foxtrots? click the weapons in craft screen. As to me I'm in the beginning of february now (veteran difficulty). Having 3 condors, 2 foxtrots on each of 8 bases. Built one X-37 ... well I could use money in better way.

Eh, I have alenium explosives researched and my Foxtrots use torps, but they can't seem to even scratch medium UFOs. Two hits from a medium kill a Foxtrot, plus I can't seem to be able to have them dodge (the button simply doesn't respond) so they die even quicker than Condors.

Eventhough I will believe you that it's somehow possible, it shouldn't be like this on easy at all. I have no issues with tactical combat (besides a bunch of bugs that is) but the geoscape forced me to go easy for now...

We are playing an XML based game.

If something needs fixing, tweaking it isn't very hard, you can adjust alloy costs if they are too high in manufactures.xml (using notepad, notepad++, or a grid based file reader that is XML compatible, as some of them are MUCH easier to read this way.)

It may be that you fell behind the curve, as xenonaughts, like its predecessor XCom, can end with you hitting a massive wrought alien alloy wall if you do not take enough risks early on.

While I wont argue that the game is remotely balanced right now, do understand that playing it safe too much can end with you ending up cold, alone, and dead on the alien owned earth.

But, just like the original, do remember that you cannot kill every ship to ever enter the stratosphere, you will need to prioritize targets to the ones you can kill.

Oh certainly - I used to play the old XCom games on the high difficulty levels too. But Xenonauts right now is a little too unbalanced for me to enjoy it on higher difficulty as it becomes a chore quickly. That's some good info there though - but rest assured I wasn't playing it save. It's just that my airplanes can't take out those medium UFOs at all as it seems their torps and alerium missiles don't even scratch the bloody things while the planes splode after a volley or two. Try as I might, I can't really defend the earth when I can't harvest resources...

Oh certainly - I used to play the old XCom games on the high difficulty levels too. But Xenonauts right now is a little too unbalanced for me to enjoy it on higher difficulty as it becomes a chore quickly. That's some good info there though - but rest assured I wasn't playing it save. It's just that my airplanes can't take out those medium UFOs at all as it seems their torps and alerium missiles don't even scratch the bloody things while the planes splode after a volley or two. Try as I might, I can't really defend the earth when I can't harvest resources...

Xenonaughts is going to be harsher then XCom in the end.

Just looking at it, take a moment and think:

Where are the cost cutting measures?

-You can't save alloys by capturing enemy weaponry.

-Lasers are much harder to get, and are more expensive to produce then their Xcom counterparts (Even going down the opposite road of Xcoms lasers: Their energy cells put a much greater choke on your ammo supplies then ballistic weapons ever had.)

-People are much less willing to pay you for intact pieces of alien tech that look/seem totally useless.

However, if you see an issue: Fixing it yourself is quite easy.

Fix it, and tell us how you fixed it if you took an abnormal route to fixing it.

Some of us can test it, and if we can come to an agreement on balance values....

That is a HUGE move to creating a better then normal community balancing body.

Sometimes I just wonder If people read the xenopedia research text that project give...I mean not to be rude or anything but...When you unlock the Foxtrot(just an example) somewhere in that text...there is the info about the fact that it's a poor dogfighter and cannot evasive roll...This is just a fact aside from the really unbalaced geoscape

Are these the first medium craft you have come across?

I am guessing it must be the Corvette as you talk about fighters being easy, where as the heavy fighters tend to be right gits.

You can certainly take them out even before you have upgraded warheads if you pause and control your fighters a bit.

When I was fighting them I had a squadron of 1 Foxtrot, 2 Condors.

I would let them approach until they got tone and fired the 4 Avalanches & 4 Sidewinders, then turn the Foxtrot around and head for the edge of the grid.

The Condors I would split to the sides, the UFO would chase the Foxtrot allowing me come around behind and fully unload the chain guns with no danger of being shot.

When I got better warheads or laser cannons (can't remember exactly) I was able to do them with 1 Foxtrot and 1 Condor.

If the mediums are Landing ships you can do the same thing, but requires more care as the safe zone for the condors to follow is small.

Even fully unloading on a lander leaves them still up, so I normally just do multiple missile sorties as Sathra suggested.

Edited by Operations