V19HF1 Hidden movement screens ideas

I agree, the alien turn stuff at the top doesn't add anything but confusion (it's there during civilian and local forces turns as well) and nonsense clutter to the screen. A plain and simple text like that is a good idea, I like it. The screen should still go back to normal (i.e. not greyed out and remove the words) when the alien/civilian/local force movement isn't actually hidden, and we can see what's going on.

One thing to note, should vision reset upon hitting end turn? There have been exploits with this, and especially with a transparent hidden movement screen it could be even more OP.

I do not really get the nostalgic value of the screen because I never was very fond of it in the OG.

Anything like the current version would look bad, IMO. I don't mean bugginess, I mean it looks just like something was put up in front of the screen to obscure it. Doesn't look like an interface element in the first place. My preference would be for something visible yet subtle, like the text-only overlay shown above.

I do not really get the nostalgic value of the screen because I never was very fond of it in the OG.

Anything like the current version would look bad, IMO. I don't mean bugginess, I mean it looks just like something was put up in front of the screen to obscure it. Doesn't look like an interface element in the first place. My preference would be for something visible yet subtle, like the text-only overlay shown above.

Agreed, I much prefer a transparent with a text message indicating the AI's turn than something opaque flashing up and down.

• 2 weeks later...

1920x1200 so the text should be sharp, unfortunately theres a script making it smaller, so blurrier also makes the screen dimmed in movement phase, and don't know how to erase the "alien's turn" from script that shows up at the top

png to put here: /assets/gui/groundcombat/hiddenmovement/

http://rghost.net/46841949

The layout of the hidden movement screen is set in assets/scripts/hiddenmove.lua and hiddenmove_large.lua

You can edit those files to change or remove the icons and text displayed.

For example you can change the wording or colour of the 'ALIEN TURN' text, or remove it completely.

The alien head icon can be replaced or removed also.

Changes can also be made to the background tile image.

Here is a sample file that you might prefer.

It has the hidden movement text at the top of the screen, removes the icon, and doesn't grey out the rest of the screen.

Open up assets/scripts/hiddenmove.lua and hiddenmove_large.lua and replace the contents of both files with this text:

As usual back up before altering etc.

require "scripts/style"function fexit_on()   CloseWindow();endAlienTurnIconFont ={   GeoscapeFont,   42,   WhiteColor,};MakeDialog{ name = "hiddenmove", AIMove {   x=0,   y=0,   w=kMax,   h=kMax,   Window   {       x = kCenter,       y = 40 * screenScaleY,       w = 300 * screenScaleX,       h = 42 * screenScaleY,       ScalingText       {           name = "alienturn_text",           x = 60 * screenScaleX,           y = 0,           w = 250 * screenScaleX,           h = 42 * screenScaleY,           label = "#Hidden Movement",           font = AlienTurnIconFont,           fontScale = screenScaleY,           outline = 2,       },   }, },}

Hiddenmove_large.lua is for higher resolutions, not sure which exactly as my 1600x900 windowed game uses hiddenmove.lua

Edited by Gauddlike

Just a thought for the hidden movement display : game takes a freezeframe and places the text up infront. any actually hidden movement it jsut shows you the frozen frame, although the "camera" could be jumping around in the background as is (to make it a bit easier to code, similar to now just need to grab a screencap or what have you) if one of your troops is attacked have the camera focus on the troop, then freezeframe when its done again. This would effectivley "block" the screen in the same fashion, but would not be visually jarring in any way nor would it give the player any additional information.

Ok played around and got this light red background color, used 64 for the alpha so it's not too dominant in the blacks. To play around with the transparency of it go look in the script and change the tint setting.

1yzo.th.png

2kd.th.png

I'm playing on 1920x1200 so I don't know if the Hidden Movement text will be centered on other resolutions

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgm8dlwlcggufkd/assets.zip

(make sure to do a backup of your files :)

edit: I had to remove the hiddenmove.png from the script because I could not for the lfe of me figure out how to have a 1920x1200 image display 'as is' without shrinking or blowing it up....

Edited by smoitessier