How do I set the graphics for a new rank of alien?

Ol' Stinky

I've created different versions of non-combatants so that I can get a mix of alien weaponry in the lightscout and scout ships. Now, gameplay wise, it seems to be working okay. The new ranks show up in-game, using their new guns. Here's the thing, though: they all look like unarmed Caesan non-coms.

The new ranks sound like they're meant to (the sebelians hiss when hit, for example), and their corpse's graphic in the inventory screen when you stand on their corpse is properly set. But I cannot find where I'm meant to define their unit's look!

I've had a look in, well, units, but all I see are graphics, and no .xmls. I've tried creating folders in there, but the game doesn't recognise them. Clearly I need to set that myself, but I don't know where. I've defined the new guys' stats in aiprops.xml, and the new weapons in weapons_gc.xml, weapons.xml, and items.xml. I also edited ufocontents' various xmls so they appear on the ufos, and quickbattle.xml for easy testing.

I'd be grateful for any help! Where's the remaining file(s) I need to edit?

You'll need the spectres, specifically solider_spectre.xml. Which is in GC_units.pfp. You can either unpack that and scurry about for some spectres, or I, your darling angel who saves previous copies of the game can pluck the solider_spectre from my copy of 18.3 and make it available for you.

Incidently, these new guns. Are they new new guns or old new guns?

Edited by Max_Caine

You'll need the spectres, specifically solider_spectre.xml. Which is in GC_units.pfp. You can either unpack that and scurry about for some spectres, or I, your darling angel who saves previous copies of the game can pluck the solider_spectre from my copy of 18.3 and make it available for you.

Incidently, these new guns. Are they new new guns or old new guns?

Oh, you're the man! Thank you.

At the moment, the guns are different versions of the alien plasma pistol. I can't draw so new artwork's not likely, and uh, people usually tell me to stop making sounds, so no custom sfx. The "new" aliens are simply different versions of caesan/sebelian non-coms who use the different types of pistol, in the same way that you get a "guard" rank and a "guardsupport" rank.

There's three different pistols, one with rapid fire, one with hypervelocity, and one that has an explosive effect. I'll grab a morning coffee and if I get this spectre to co-operate, I'll implement more types of guards, then make a new thread for a download in case anyone wants a try.

Edited by Ol' Stinky