Annoying unarmed civilians

Some will get killed, some will survive. The lucky ones. The ones who will eventually follow soldiers around, thinking they'll be safe, then park right in front of them blocking LOF for that life or death critical shot :confused:

Can you fix this, please? Just have them run back and stash somewhere, when we get close enough, somewhere where they don't get in the way.

Pretty please :(

"Some will get killed, some will survive. The lucky ones."

They will need your support. Support to get through invasion survivor counselling. Give just $20 to help the probed, the abducted and the terrorised.

Now if a civilian said "Look, we've got the others to safety. We've picked up the spare weapons and we'll run a diversion for you" then it just wouldn't be X-Com would it. You'd nt feel comfortable until you got "I'll just stand in this doorway right in front of you."

Speaking of the XCOM feeling; I bought the game today after seeing it on Steam (I played XCOM UFO Defense and the Xenonauts demo).

The moment I realised this is highly based on XCOM is when my soldier got in a situation where he needed to shoot/hit/kill an alien or he probably would die the next turn. So he lined up the shot, and shot his fellow soldierguy in the back. I was like .. YES ! THIS IS EXACTLY LIKE XCOM!

Absolutely loving the game!

Well, more seriously now, it would be nice if the non alien NPC units do not block doorways or corridors. I found that extremely annoying in the OG and I would like to see it fixed. In real situations, civilians or local forces would clear the way for the elite troops to do the job.

They will need your support. Support to get through invasion survivor counselling. Give just $20 to help the probed, the abducted and the terrorised.

I may kick them in the sack first. Sure way to guarantee they'll stay down, and unlikely they will produce any more Amoeba-brain offspring to turn into Alien eggsacks and ruin my score.

!

Urban battlefield reality, my friend. The very people you're trying to protect are going to make things hard for you. This game is not just a tactical shoot-em-up. There are rescue missions, too. If you could care less about civilian casualties, they're at least worth points in the eyes of your supporting governments.

Just like real life, you'll have to figure them into your battle plan. Sometimes, you may have to stun them down for their own good. On the other hand, if an angry Chryssalid is around, maybe you're better off letting them take their chances. You might have to cover civilians who are running through an open area with a smoke grenade, or place one of your own soldiers in harm's way in order to present a more dangerous target and draw fire away from that bus-full of kids.

All part of the tactical experience.

I once had to shoot one of the local forces myself, actually. It was sad. He was standing right next to a reaper, and I know that once I hit end turn he'd be turned into a zombie, and I'd have two more things to kill (zombie then the reaper it turns in to). So, I sniped him to save him that misery.

Oh, and plus, he was in the way of me shooting the reaper, otherwise I'd just have shot that.

I once had to shoot one of the local forces myself, actually. It was sad. He was standing right next to a reaper, and I know that once I hit end turn he'd be turned into a zombie, and I'd have two more things to kill (zombie then the reaper it turns in to). So, I sniped him to save him that misery.

Oh, and plus, he was in the way of me shooting the reaper, otherwise I'd just have shot that.

Funny, i had this situation where i had 2 soldiers on each side of a door ready to go in next turn, and a reaper peeks out on alien turn.

Some amazingly willing to help local law enforcement agent comes speeding like a maniac from around the corner, and shot one of my soldiers twice in the back.

Because it was in the way of the reaper.

Then guess what happened?

Yes. I took my 2 soldiers out of there somewhere safe. Next turn, the reaper bit the f***** local law enforcement agent, which i then proceeded to use as target practice for my soldiers in need.

I tell you, everything happens to me.

I've had to terminate a couple of civilians due to imminent zombification. One ran right towards it over two turns. How could she not hear me shouting at the monitor? Silly person, so I wasn't too upset about that one. Well, not as upset as the other one anyway.

I think civilians picking up discarded weapons isn't necessarily a bad idea:

As long as we balance them with being highly paranoid, and likely to attempt reaction fire at any nearby thingy that does stuff, while being vulnerable to mind control, as well as simply being poor enough shots that you simply DON'T want to risk leaving a weapon on the ground to pick up.

For your own mens safety.

Would this be an improvement?

Maybe, maybe not.

Is it worth development time?

No.

I think civilians picking up discarded weapons isn't necessarily a bad idea:

Never forget that moment in Xcom when you first came up with the "Awesome" idea to MC a few civilians, and equip them with laser rifles to defend themselves and be fodder.

I don't want them to pick up guns, freak out, and hose everything that moves, or hold a grudge if I'm not doing well (either shooting or stunning them or just letting the aliens get them)

Hmm, I wonder if there's a mod out there that removes/lowers the points penalty for letting them die? Revengemod, just... yes

Never forget that moment in Xcom when you first came up with the "Awesome" idea to MC a few civilians, and equip them with laser rifles to defend themselves and be fodder.

In testing my mod, I did a few things like this:

Such as, giving all civilians rocket launchers (Boom,) flamethrowers (warning: Crashed my game,) giving them most of the new weapons I tested by giving them to the generic civilians (Including the least accurate weapon in the game, up to this point...... They tended to accidentally scythe down my own xenonauts prior to me getting Jackal armor like this...)