Experimental Build V19 Hotfix1!

Sathra - I made that comment as an opinion for the devs, not cause it bothers me so much that I had to change it when i play it now.

But thanks for the tip anyway

It is a bug that it does not show what your able to see and I believe the devs mentioned that it was buggy and just put in as a very experimental feature with not everything ironed out. When its working correctly it should behave like the old hidden movement screen, popping up the box when things are happening in the enemy turn in fog of war, then turning off when aliens or civves move in your field of vision.

It also adds the first pass at the revamped alien turn/hidden movement screen. This is very fresh code, so please report any bugs you see in the experimental builds bug thread.

Followed by

I should have said the alien turn/hidden movement changes are a work in progress, more work will be done to improve how the camera tracks movement during the alien turn.

I think those should mean they are planning on iterating on it, just be patient.

I came across a line of sight bug today on this version. It looks like a "destroyed floor" tile next to a "destroyed wall" tile causes line of fire (but not line of sight) to be blocked. Screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/I1oWnno.jpg

I have a save file of a battle where this bug is present if you want it, but I don't know where to host it.

Edit: It's not the machinery that's blocking the shot. You can tell by the way the line is drawn. Also if you try to aim past the "broken floor" tile a few spaces up and right from where the soldier's LOF is broken you'll see the line is broken there as well.

Edited by jazzglands

If you chande the hidden movement screen, let there be an option that lets you change it. I personally really like the hidden movement screen. It feels as if it adds immersion although many others feel differently hence the option for player's choice.

i feel the hidden movement screen is good, but you really do need to see things already in your fov within the explored fow

1 instance in how the new one is broken, when your unit panics you cannot tell the animation is blocked

and it is really saddening to not see the animations of the aliens at all

Edited by StonerSteve

i feel the hidden movement screen is good, but you really do need to see things already in your fov within the explored fow

I agree and I have a proposal ...

The key to hidden movement is NOT centering the camera on any AI event. Instead, the camera should center on an Xeonaunt that is closest to the event. The hidden movement image should block the whole screen except the middle, simply cutting a hole out of the middle that's approximately the size of an Xenonauts visibility range would suffice.

Years ago I modded a tile based game that uses Cscript. Adding code to change the x/y location of the camera is very easy. Simply running a "for loop" through all the Xenonauts x/y locations and using the closest x/y, then using that x/y instead of the AI's x/y. Insert the new code before the camera event gets called in the function and .... viola!

Thoughts? I'd show a screenshot of the new hidden movement image but I can't seem to make a screenshot and changing my resolution to something smaller than my desktop causes the game to crash when loading in windowed mode. It's nothing more than a full screen image with a hole in the middle.

You can remove the image from the game (assets/gui/GroundCombat/hiddenmovement/"hiddenmovementsmall") pretty easily. Its actually pretty nice now, though the screen does centre on black areas with alien activity which can help pinpoint aliens perhaps too easily.

Or it could be your soldiers hearing movement out in the 'unknown' zones, either one.

It's not the jpg "hiddenmove" that causes the problem.( does not change anything if you rename or remove)

If you rename map hiddenmovement to hiddenmovementold it's ok , you see title Alien turn + all movement. ( even better than with hidden movement screen)

I changed the hiddenmovement folder to hiddenmovementold and it did solve the whole hidden movement screen.

Edited by Tiesemans