Experimental Build V19 Hotfix1!

I still dislike the "Alien's Turn" words and icon

You could probably change/blank out the icon.

I reckon the lettering is hard coded though as I can't find any images or anything for that part.

It's an odd combination if so, three easily editable sections and one that cannot be altered.

*edit* The text is in assets/scripts/hiddenmove.lua and hiddenmove_large.lua as is the link to add the icon.

Both can be altered in size and the wording can be changed.

You can probably even just delete the sections to prevent them being displayed.

I don't which of those files is used at the moment though, not tested it.

Edited by Gauddlike

To be fair' date=' I think that's not intended and is down to a bug - when your squad's actually taking fire or an alien moves into their line of sight, the screen's meant to go away and let you see what's happening. The hidden movement screen obscuring stuff that shouldn't be obscured happened to me a few times in v18 and earlier as well.[/quote']

But it is happening and it's p@ssing me off bigtime.

One tiny hotfix and BLAM my so much enjoyed in game action is totally screwed over ..

Gone are the moments of truth. (Did I or did I not send a trooper to his death by placing him where he stands etc.)

My God I am so irritated as we speak.

I have endured 3 missions now and I am fed up already.

If this horror continues I will end my playing asap.:mad:

Ah ok turns out that they actually already did that so you can change your own hidden movement overlay to whatever you want as long as it matches the dimensions of the existing one.

Here is a quick sample of the one I just knocked up to test for anyone who is interested.

http://i.imgur.com/cAtyPqP.jpg

You could easily leave the border off or even remove the words as well and just have a pretty much blank image so you just get a slightly faded out screen.

*edit* And another.

http://i.imgur.com/Qedwewd.jpg

/assets/gui/groundcombat/hiddenmovement to find the image file.

Personally I think the development team needs to turn back this change *asap*.

But as long as they don't have do I create, know where to place, and have a workable *work-arround* for the transparancy screen?! So that I may see them aliens pop caps at my troops once more ?!

That's the point of the experimental builds and why they are voluntary.

Changes will be made that throw out the balance or alter features in a way that is less than ideal.

When the new UI gets added it is possible that whole areas of the game could stop working completely if buttons don't link properly and so on.

These changes need to be made, bugs ironed out, and feedback from the community examined.

This is not going to be a smooth process that gives a polished game at every stage.

If you want to continue playing a version that doesn't suffer from these problems then stick to the steam stable build.

When the major bugs are ironed out and this version is stable then it will become the new steam stable build.

Personally I think the development team needs to turn back this change *asap*.

But as long as they don't have do I create, know where to place, and have a workable *work-arround* for the transparancy screen?! So that I may see them aliens pop caps at my troops once more ?!

Try this:

1. Go here /assets/gui/groundcombat/hiddenmovement

2 .Rename the hiddenmovement.jpg to oldhiddenmovement.jpg and give that a go.

One tiny hotfix and BLAM my so much enjoyed in game action is totally screwed over ..

Gone are the moments of truth. (Did I or did I not send a trooper to his death by placing him where he stands etc.)

Revert back to playing V18 Stable then? It only takes a few clicks. This is an experimental build, not a stable public build.

Sorry guys, but the experimental build is going to remain Steam only - it costs too much time to prepare other versions.

BTW, if you guys want to tweak the hidden movement screen and show some different layout ideas that would be cool - post them up in the beta forum. You can tweak the layout of the screen in scripts/hiddenmove.lua and hiddenmove_large.lua (_large is the file for higher screen resolutions, so it's probably the one to tweak).

Also, yes, there certainly are new annoying bugs and issues with the experimental branch. I will do my best to make sure it remains playable, but the whole point of it is to let us show you brand new features almost as soon as they are made; we cannot do that and also have it bug free.

The only positive thing of Steam - if we can call steam positive - that

should update automatically if you have opted
. Of course if you are using MODs custom made in any game, then because of update the MODs are deleted. :) In current state however Steam Xenonauts greatly benefits from this auto-update, compared to Desura.

Tiesemans, if you're going to pop a vein every time something happens in the experimental builds that you don't like, then I'd suggest that you stop playing the experimental builds right now. You are not going to have a good time in between more stable builds, and it's not going to help you to play something you actively hate.

Dude chill out this is an experimental build to try new stuff. They update it frequently with changes and fixes this build is to be a living growing thing. It is not a stable version as prefaced by the disclaimer to join it. Play the stable build for a stable build.

Dude chill out this is an experimental build to try new stuff. They update it frequently with changes and fixes this build is to be a living growing thing. It is not a stable version as prefaced by the disclaimer to join it. Play the stable build for a stable build.

Well unlike many people I experience that (even) the experimental build is good fun, I certainly have a lot of fun, hours on end.

Thats prob. the reason why I tend to make such a fuzz about something that gets screwed up in the (experimental) updates.

Edited by Tiesemans

I haven't tried version 18.1 yet but i prefer the alien turn screen the way as it has always been. I think i should see what my soldiers can see. If the shot came from behind or from the side, maybe that's another story.

About the alien turn name being shown instead of civilian turn, IMO there are some reasons for that. In this kind of game, there is your turn and the alien turn. There is no third party turn. Even if you don't agree with that, consider that civilians and local forces move inside the alien turn. Distinguishing between civilian turn and alien turn would add a complexity not needed, and also suppose that in the future they add an alien that have the same footstep sound of humans...this would add more suspense and a degree of mystery. Who is there, human or alien ?

that it never lets me see the stuff that i should be able to see...

hmm come to think of it, i hate how it looks too. Instead of understanding that now happens enemy action that my forces don't see it I just get someone sticking a paper in my face while the game proceeds. And the "alien turn" is also annoying. Might as well as remove that.

Edited by raziel1981

You can remove the image from the game (assets/gui/GroundCombat/hiddenmovement/"hiddenmovementsmall") pretty easily. Its actually pretty nice now, though the screen does centre on black areas with alien activity which can help pinpoint aliens perhaps too easily.

Or it could be your soldiers hearing movement out in the 'unknown' zones, either one.

Something is wrong with the way psionics work as well.

I finally get to the carriers, downed one. First turn works great, When I click the en turn and start to get xxxx yyyy has been revealed to the enemy forces, It CTD's...

Investigating and will post more information as it becomes available.