Do enemies detect sound at all?

Although there currently is not much option for the player to do things quietly, I DO wonder if firing your gun or throwing a grenade is 'noticed' by the AI (and makes them aware of your position, or can even be used to distract them as a decoy, making them move towards the noise).

Although there currently is not much option for the player to do things quietly, I DO wonder if firing your gun or throwing a grenade is 'noticed' by the AI (and makes them aware of your position, or can even be used to distract them as a decoy, making them move towards the noise).

So you would something such as a decoy grenade, that would be rather nice to sneak up on aliens with.

They don't react to noise, but they do seem to react to combat in a few mission I've played. Long firefights (3-6 turns) tend to get exponentially larger as more troops from both sides trickle in, mostly in terror missions.

I wish we could have a system similar to the UNIMOD (a mod made for UFO: Extraterrestrials), which boils down to the fact that each unit has a Hearing stat and a Noise stat (not sure how weapon sounds fit in). This allows the player to detect aliens which are close but unseen, for example around corners, but the sound mark is only placed approximately so you can't use it for aiming. Oh well, we all have our wishlists.