14th June Development Update

Time for a development update. Firstly, Steam: you probably noticed we launched on Steam Early Access a couple of weeks ago. We're pleased to say that the game has sold strongly on Steam, and it's nice to see a number of people who weren't previously aware of the game finding it. The reception generally seems to have been good from the people who have played the game, so all in all I think it's been a successful launch.

It has, however, been an enormous amount of work. Lots of customer support and marketing stuff to do, as well as the technical work involved in a launch (I've also been enjoying having a life outside the office over the past week). In the meantime, Aaron has stepped up his work on the balancing of the game. This seems to be working pretty well - the first Experimental build was released yesterday and there will be more of those coming in the near future.

You can see most of what we've been working on in the Experimental build, but in addition to that we've been working on updating various parts of the UI. The Hidden Movement screen is getting an overhaul, because people were complaining that the full-screen pop up was a bit jarring. However, we didn't want to get rid of the HM screen entirely, because it is very X-Com, so we came up with a compromise that you can see here.

We're also working on getting the Soldier Inventory screen to be a pop-up rather than a full-screen window. That would make loading it up much less jarring, and generally improve the experience.

Regarding the long-awaited Geoscape UI updates, that's coming along OK. We're finishing off the updated Soldier Equip screen at the moment, after which there's only the Base screen and the Geoscape to go (so we've done the Research, Workshop, Stores, Vehicle Equip and Aircraft Equip screens already). Giovanni has already started work on the Geoscape, although that's a BIG job, so that'll take a bit of time. Also, even when actually released I'm sure the UI will need several iterations to tighten it up...but we're getting there.

We'll keep you posted with how things go, but here's a possible spoiler for you - as the game advances, new background screens are unlocked for the important screens. Here's the final one for the Research screen, if you want a preview.

So it's been a good couple of weeks and V19 is marching steadily closer!

I like this picture. Only the most badass scientists are able to wear the Powerglove!

Good luck to you guys, always nice to hear about the incoming features.

If you don't like bulky headgear, you need to change your avatar pic

It's a noble piece of the luxurious and stylish head equipment you trying to mess with, sir. Stop for your own good. :)

Man, you're gonna hate the future when it arrives!

Technological progress generally strives towards miniaturization has been my impression though it doesn't start out that way of course.

ME had some pretty nice visor designs that were a bit more open:

2qn8pcl.jpg

v6qlh1.jpg

Aside from less facial obstruction the main difference is that there's no "stuff" on both sides of the head (kinda like large headphones) so it meshes better with the face. The ME displays are arguably too sci-fi-ish but the Xenonauts lab is making use of holograms and some very thin looking computer screens as well.

Thank you for the weapons_gc xml file I had already done that one myself.

But this does not help with the heavily damaged UFO's

As in fire and smoke in the engine compartment. On or off screen.

I have tried to set smoke and fire dissipation to 100% in config, gameconfig.

Still no joy, I think there might still be a tile smoking or something off screen.

FYI

It needs to be set in gas_gc.xml. Something like this:

<GasType name="TerrainExplosiveSmoke">   <Anim name="particles/smoke/smoke" />   <Props damage="0" stunDamage="0" damageType="chemical" dissipationChance="100" accuracyReduction="20" LOSReduction="3" /> </GasType> <GasType name="FlammableTilesSmoke">   <Anim name="particles/smoke/smoke" />   <Props damage="0" stunDamage="0" damageType="chemical" dissipationChance="100" accuracyReduction="20" LOSReduction="3" /> </GasType> <GasType name="PowerCoresSmoke">   <Anim name="particles/smoke/smoke" />   <Props damage="0" stunDamage="0" damageType="chemical" dissipationChance="100" accuracyReduction="20" LOSReduction="3" /> </GasType>

The three above are key because they relate smoke/gas that you don't bring onto the battlefield.

It needs to be set in gas_gc.xml. Something like this:
  <GasType name="TerrainExplosiveSmoke">   <Anim name="particles/smoke/smoke" />   <Props damage="0" stunDamage="0" damageType="chemical" dissipationChance="100" accuracyReduction="20" LOSReduction="3" /> </GasType> <GasType name="FlammableTilesSmoke">   <Anim name="particles/smoke/smoke" />   <Props damage="0" stunDamage="0" damageType="chemical" dissipationChance="100" accuracyReduction="20" LOSReduction="3" /> </GasType> <GasType name="PowerCoresSmoke">   <Anim name="particles/smoke/smoke" />   <Props damage="0" stunDamage="0" damageType="chemical" dissipationChance="100" accuracyReduction="20" LOSReduction="3" /> </GasType>

The three above are key because they relate smoke/gas that you don't bring onto the battlefield.

Yes, I have done that. Also reduced the chance for the UFO power core to explode to 0%

Even checked the smoke.xml to see if there was an obvious mistake.

Oh well, it did say, unstable:)

I shall leave the rest to the devs...

...ME had some pretty nice visor designs that were a bit more open.....

Sorry, I thought you were getting all Jah Jah Binks there :confused: My bad.

I'm enjoying the game, have been waiting for the Steam release because I had major problems with Desura but that's in the past now.

Keep up the good works guys!

This is a very good game, but it's unplayable for me due to all my save games CTD upon load. This happened in both the stable and experimental build, same issue. All my drivers are up to date and I've never had a problem on any of the ~30 games installed on my rig currently.

One (of many) crash logs;

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: xenonauts.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 51b9e380

Fault Module Name: xenonauts.exe

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 51b9e380

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0008f461

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 3081

Additional Information 1: 9e27

Additional Information 2: 9e2778096e7e1e2a2e0302fe58f3eea8

Additional Information 3: 9e27

Additional Information 4: 9e2778096e7e1e2a2e0302fe58f3eea8

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Oooh, nice.

The only "problem", imo, is that the scientist's head piece feels too bulky. Sticks out too much on both sides of his head.

Nope. I think the scientist's head piece is well balanced. In fact the whole research screen now looks excellent. I found nothing to criticize. Good job!

Is there going to be an improvement in the Geoscape to make a better contrast for text/selection windows? Specifically:

- During the night/day cycle, the text that is white (city/base/ufo names) does not contrast with the lighter terrain.

- In the selection screen for the interceptors, it is nearly impossible to tell what is selected or not.

- There is not an obvious multi-selection indicated; I used ctrl-click and found I can send out multiple interceptors but it should be more obvious.

- A couple more levels of zoom would be nice.

- A distance to target measurement would be nice as well.