Mines/Traps?

AI is too defensive for mines or traps.

Yes, that.

I tried playing with traps in many similar games and they only worked in UFO: Aftershock; otherwise it was too hard to place a mine on the future path of an enemy. Oh, proximity grenades in the original EU worked fine, but they're something else.

As a side note, I wouldn't mind the AI getting a bit more aggressive and actually hunt the Xenonauts instead of just waiting for them (only applicable to the non-defender aliens, of course). It would probably make the game easier since it wouldn't be so much of a castle storming, but also more exciting and tactically challenging.

Yes, that.

As a side note, I wouldn't mind the AI getting a bit more aggressive and actually hunt the Xenonauts instead of just waiting for them (only applicable to the non-defender aliens, of course). It would probably make the game easier since it wouldn't be so much of a castle storming, but also more exciting and tactically challenging.

This is a 2 edged sword. If the AI too aggressive, we can win everything using mostly camping tactics, like in Apocalypse or JA2. Which is actually NOT a bad thing at all, but Xenonauts is different, and i'm quite confident the AI won't be the camp galore it is now, or totally suicidal.

This is a 2 edged sword. If the AI too aggressive, we can win everything using mostly camping tactics, like in Apocalypse or JA2. Which is actually NOT a bad thing at all, but Xenonauts is different, and i'm quite confident the AI won't be the camp galore it is now, or totally suicidal.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. If anything else fails, we can have the alien time divided into several sub-squads for various tasks, like: UFO defence, anti-personnel assault and open terrain campers. It would be rather crude, but should do the trick.

I guess we're quite away from the main topic now, but oh well.

When this comes up, I always think of the Chinook landing in it's field. The Xenonauts depart right into the middle of the alien mine field. The survivors of that then have to run a gauntlet of traps just to get to the ship. Mission after mission, I can see that as being very frustrating.

But it would be a balance for the above. After all the aliens have been at the site for longer, os have more time to prepare such things if they were in the game. While it doesn't look as though proximity grenades are in Xenonauts, I was never a huge user of them. In Xenonauts, I've never had a moment where I thought that they would be useful to have. Particularly as stunned aliens seem to be staying stunned for the entire mission. Even then, I'd just post someone to cover the rear if that was in the game.

The aliens could be ambushing the Xenonauts. After all, they see the helicopter coming. They have time to prepare. Advanced combat tactics can be implemented for the AI, so that they behave realistically, without being too offensive or too defensive but adapting to the situation on the battlefield.

I would like to see proximity grenades in the game.

I was using them, especially in night missions and when I had scanners. Seeing or hearing the aliens patrolling an area(especially near ufo entrance) and I did not dare come in their line of sight. I was throwing a proximity grenade from a hidden position and, then, either sent the troops after it exploded or moved towards another point of entrance, sure that my flanks are covered.

In this game, as opposed to the original X-Com, you've got civilians on almost every map. Stupid ones. Why would any good commanding officer allow you to land-mine and snare up an area where screaming pedestrians are more likely to run into them than your tactically-sound enemies?