Artillery/Airstrike?

As I play, I'm sometimes thinking 'It would be great to be able to call in an airstrike or artillery' during tough situations. Not sure exactly how you'd put that in, but it would be a nice option when things are a bit tricky.

Maybe it would be an actual unit that you could fly over (as a secondary vehical) to the site, which would then be (supposedly) flying over the battle area (but not seen or dealt with in the actual ground combat), but could be called upon to attack an area of the ground battle map. Kind of like the dropship... you fly it to the site, but once you arrive, it's not something you control (and, unlike the drop ship, it wouldn't even appear on the map).

Or, make it even more simple, and just have the ability to call in a strike 'from somewhere', without actually having to deal with the actual source.

Either way, I figure I'm going to get the 'it'll throw off the balance' response. But, again, I just figured I'd throw the idea in, in case it sparks some ideas.

Um...you do realize that the above mentioned thunderbolts of doom can miss their targets by a substantial amount. :cool: On the cramped Xenonaut maps I'd be VERY hesitant to call in any type of indirect attack, specially an airstrike. Remember, 1970's are WAY different than how things are now. Laser guided bombs were RARE back then and the GPS stuff didn't even exist. I still remember my compass and map course because that's how you figured out where you were in the before times.

That being said, I have no desire for anything like that. Airstrikes from Xenonaut fighters could be possible, but probably only cannon runs again with the inherent chance of killing a bunch of your own guys and a lot of civilians. 50mm mortars would be possible too, but hardly worth the trouble and time to set up. Really not worth it.

Edited by StellarRat

I think I mentioned this elsewhere - but on almost every map, you've got screaming civilians running around. No commander would call a massive strike in on a populated area. Even if they were cold-hearted enough to do it, you're losing major points with the supporting superpowers, which can only work to the aliens' advantage. Heck, I don't even really like lobbing grenades into un-scouted areas, if I can help it.

As I play, I'm sometimes thinking 'It would be great to be able to call in an airstrike or artillery' during tough situations. Not sure exactly how you'd put that in, but it would be a nice option when things are a bit tricky.

Maybe it would be an actual unit that you could fly over (as a secondary vehical) to the site, which would then be (supposedly) flying over the battle area (but not seen or dealt with in the actual ground combat), but could be called upon to attack an area of the ground battle map. Kind of like the dropship... you fly it to the site, but once you arrive, it's not something you control (and, unlike the drop ship, it wouldn't even appear on the map).

Or, make it even more simple, and just have the ability to call in a strike 'from somewhere', without actually having to deal with the actual source.

Either way, I figure I'm going to get the 'it'll throw off the balance' response. But, again, I just figured I'd throw the idea in, in case it sparks some ideas.

Of course, in that case, the aliens should be able to call for an airstrike, as well, only...heck!!...I do not think this would go well for the xenonaut troops. I am very sure that their ships would do much more damage ;).

The role players would point to the fact that we are using stike teams that like spical forces deploy before anyone even knows about it - they don't use indirect fire unless they can carry it.....say motars. Arty is too much IMO. Air strike, perhaps if you sent a plane from your base but you should factor in the wait time.

over all I give this a 1 out of 10..........Motors is an idea though. Same as rockets (people must carry ammo etc) only indirect so can lob over buildings..

All in all, Chris has said that he doesn't want indirect ways of killing aliens without getting close to them. This is why we don't have mortars, artillery, or other non-line-of-sight means of killing hostiles. Grenades are kinda close, but you need to see where you're throwing them, so it works out.

All in all, Chris has said that he doesn't want indirect ways of killing aliens without getting close to them. This is why we don't have mortars, artillery, or other non-line-of-sight means of killing hostiles. Grenades are kinda close, but you need to see where you're throwing them, so it works out.

I would say that rockets both vehicle and hand held kinda contridict this. Anyhow, you would have to be close enough to see them to use any direct or indirect fire of any sort so mortors would fall within him constraints.

Anyhow, I am happy with the way it is although I never use a vehicle or rockets and almost never carry nades. I like fire and manouver over throwing tonnes of bang at them

Has it been discussed with Chris about adding a strategic airstrike option instead of a tactical option?

A terror mission is a good example ... If we cannot get to the scene in a timely fashion the mission is cancelled and a nuke strike is called on the target. If they allowed us to "delay" that time with an airstrike that would help the locals then we could still land our troops at the scene ... perhaps with a slight advantage indeed since the UFO and the aliens might be reduced slightly, but we still need to land our troops none the less. Instead of loading a map of a "landed" UFO with a full compliment of aliens, it loads a "crashed" UFO with casualties.

I agree that CAS is a bad idea ... We should be able to perform a strategic airstrike because the decision is less severe that a nuke strike ... If we complete the mission on an area that was prepped by an airstrike then the funding increase would be smaller than completing the mission without an airstrike.

Has it been discussed with Chris about adding a strategic airstrike option instead of a tactical option?

A terror mission is a good example ... If we cannot get to the scene in a timely fashion the mission is cancelled and a nuke strike is called on the target. If they allowed us to "delay" that time with an airstrike that would help the locals then we could still land our troops at the scene ... perhaps with a slight advantage indeed since the UFO and the aliens might be reduced slightly, but we still need to land our troops none the less. Instead of loading a map of a "landed" UFO with a full compliment of aliens, it loads a "crashed" UFO with casualties.

I agree that CAS is a bad idea ... We should be able to perform a strategic airstrike because the decision is less severe that a nuke strike ... If we complete the mission on an area that was prepped by an airstrike then the funding increase would be smaller than completing the mission without an airstrike.

Perhaps, but there would still need to be a trade-off. One such as massive amounts of smoke and fire on the map, obscuring already-short sightlines; and I'm pretty sure the country of the city you've pretty much just strafed wouldn't be too happy with having so much collateral damage, resulting in a pretty hefty score penalty.

Perhaps, but there would still need to be a trade-off. One such as massive amounts of smoke and fire on the map, obscuring already-short sightlines; and I'm pretty sure the country of the city you've pretty much just strafed wouldn't be too happy with having so much collateral damage, resulting in a pretty hefty score penalty.

I would hope a strategic bombing of a terror site is a much better alternative to a nuke strike (in the eyes of the country).

If they added an option when we click on the site, then we can pay a fee that's equal to the cost of losing the funding if they used nukes. If the player still can't get to the terror site and they nuke it then the player gets penalized anyway.

The only other mission to allow a strategic bombing would be a landed UFO. As far as smoke/fire, depends on the time the troops arrive since the strike occurred...worse case it would turn a day battle into night, and a night battle into a nightmare!

I'm not sure I like where this thread is going. Being a person whom believes in mind over matter (though, if you've got the matter to back it up, kudos), I'm leaning in towards the concept that every salvageable fragment or pool of DNA that your XNs can bring back to base is a step towards finding an effective way to combat them.

Shell it, and you'll stop the battle, but you won't stop the war - and you'll have destroyed everything that could have been of use to your scientists.

Were I a commander, I'd rather have my team pick through a complete alien-assault tragedy - loading civilian corpses and discarded-and-forgotten plasma magazines into the Chinook than ordering even the smallest AOE attack.

Worse yet, you may have just killed that little girl who had managed to hide from the alien terror squad, or that brave husband-and-father who actually managed to fight the aliens out of his white-picket-fenced suburban American Dream home.

... Just sayin'.