Little Mod V5

Sathra

Hmm, nice. Only addition I could add would be that the part behind the barrel, I don't know what its called, the darker black bit could be brown to mesh nicer with the ingame soldier sprite.

I could quickly swap in a color version of the foregrip from the normal AK in the morning.

My researchers are still developing assigning weapons world models, hence, why I haven't run into this issue (I was going to use the M16/PSG1's world sprite for it provisionally, as that would suffice until I start finishing up the ballistic age sprites... and would be in the planning phase of a laser overhaul, and have time to try to make a world sprite.)

Ah, foregrip. I knew it had some obvious name. Just that change and I'll add it to the mod, with your name credited.

In mod news, in my current game I'm skipping plasma completely (not building any) and just going straight for MAG. Landing ship phase has just started :/

Yep, December 21st will be my first mission with MAG (never built a single plasma weapon). No magstorm yet, but 2 pistols, 2 carbines a sniper and 4 rifles. Mission will be a crashsite of the 5th or so Landing ship I've seen. The rest kept escaping.

Hmmm...Sathra I know this is alot of questions but...Does you mod balance the Geoscape invasion progress as well?Cause if it does that's just more awesome then it is!

Also with your mod if you rush could you get The corsair in a month...let's say October ?Also why skip plasma weapons?

I mean in my game(not with your mod) I am in february and I still didn't get any Mag weapons because I haven't seen 1 alien with a Battle Rifle...

I got an alien base early, and it was Caesans. Easy battle rifles (and Plasma Cannons).

I think you might be able to finish building a Corsair before the end of October. Not sure, since progression relies alot on how lucky you are with UFO spawns (and the resulting shootdowns and missions). I know in my current game I built a Corsair later than I could have, since I dumped all my cash into weapons/armour and the second base.

Yep, the mod slows down invasion progress quite a bit. Lots and lots of Corvettes. There's also more of a 'blur' between changeover, so you get a few Landing Ships near the end of the Corvette era.

Don't worry too much about the larger numbers of aliens. You get more troops in a Chinook to help compensate.

But what about scouts...Do they appear more commonly?I always liked the idea of scouts appearing even in the late game so you can train up your rookies in those missions.

So your mod is basicly the balance for this version.It's kinda a placeholder fot the true balancing that the devs are gonna do...It's Awesome!

Also I know this is more of a gameplay question...What do you suggest I do with a second base?Make the first base entirely science based by second month and the new one manufacturer base?Also is 6 hangars a big enough number for ships?And from what I understand you're mod increases the starting money.

It only effectively increases the starting money. Bases cost less, so after placing the first base you have an extra $200k.

I couldn't figure out how to makes scouts appear more commonly, so they stop appearing after a month or so. You get Corvettes longer though, and they're more fun, and I train rookies on them (more stuff to shoot means more experience).

My second base is always heavy on the manufacturing (90 engineers). The rest of the space is soldiers, and I only ever build 5 Hangars in my first 2 bases. 1 Hangar is for the dropship, and the others are for interceptors. Main base only has 30 scientists, which is enough for most of the game, with the rest being manufacturing (I try for 45 engineers, which means I move or just destroy the garage depending if I want to use vehicles). Holdover from the OG, where I had every strike base capable of some manufacturing.

Third base is mostly intercept and research.

Foxtrots not barrel rolling - I dislike it, makes it damned hard to keep them alive, and at 200k + x amount of torpedoes and missiles... Why?

Out of interest - What aircraft stuff?

And vehicles - press "b" to change fire modes - would be nicer if that was made more obvious, as there's no button to switch between fire modes on vehicles.

Edited by Naresh

Foxtrots aren't allowed to barrel roll. They can't. They're basically fast boomers (I know that's the slang for a sub, not a plane, but it works out), not dogfighters. They can't pull off those kinds of maneuvers.

I thought that was the case... I just hoped it wasn't.

A friend of mine also has the game (so I will occasionally voice his opinions not just mine) - he bought 3 foxtrots and got rid of the starting planes (in the idea of progress) without realising the benefits the starting planes hold

I can see the logic in thinking that the new planes would be an upgrade of the last one, so I feel the pain there.

I'm hoping that Xenonauts has weapons armour and even planes that have strengths and weaknesses. The lack of foxtrot barrel roll being a very good example o that.

It should be clear in a FAQ or manual or whatever that this is the case though, just to let people know.

Great mod, thanks for all the hard work. I'm playing my second game with it (first had some sort of corrupt save in a mission) and my only real problem is the cost of the missiles -- I always want some on hand and while I don't mind manufacturing them, the power cost kills me. Probably just me needing to change my playstyle.

Thanks again!

If you are deploying your foxtrot with condors (lets say to engage 3 heavy fighters you send 2 condors and 1 foxtrot) make sure you click on the foxtrot last when selecting the aircraft you are going to deploy.

This is important because the heavy fighters will generally fire their 3 missiles at one target. If the foxtrot is considered to not be the first aircraft it will not find itself being hammered by a volley of 3+ alien missiles. =\

Just kill its throttle, have it fly behind the condors, fire its payload, then get it out.

EDIT:

oh yea, alenium missiles and torps are pretty expensive considering they are made from depleted alenium, yet they require the fresh stuff from out stockpiles and we only get one.

Edited by PerfectDeath

V5X.1 still needs some work. Getting my head around the changes. V5X.2 will have air combat rebalanced to be a clearer progression.

A single unit of alenium torps or missiles should be unlimited effectively, or was that changed?

In V5 (for the stable build), you get so much alenium that its only really a concern early on. You get Corvettes for a long time, so you can build up a good stockpile.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3c8n76wsc1xzyx/Sathra%27s%20Mod%20V5X.2.zip

V5X.2, with a first run of air combat balancing. Basically, 2 of a missile of the same era as a minor UFO will kill it instantly. Minors can dodge though (so the various fighters and the light scout). 2 Torps of the same era will take out a capital ship (everything else). Craft cannons do their best damage against the same or lower era UFOs, and do only small amounts of damage vs higher UFO's. If a cannon is two eras behind it will probably do no damage.

UFO's got a major health drop, so combat should be faster. Also added Alenium costs to aircraft cannons and dropped the alloy cost.

If I screwed up something, or you can give me a list of the resource income for the various UFO's that would be really helpful. Still sick :(