Ground Combat Balance Discussion v19 Experimental

Yes, muzzle velocity, but I was thinking about average impact velocity (shotgun pellets get slow quickly). Anyway, while my numbers may have been wrong (I got them from somewhere), getting hit with shotgun pellets cannot possibly be equivalent to receiving 50 pistol bullets to the chest. :)
That's true, but there are only 9 pellets in buckshot, so we're talking nine pistol bullets not 50.

About the shotgun issue, I'd like to kindly point out that according to Xenopedia, all aliens are wearing highly effective light ballistic armor. So using buckshot would be highly ineffective, and as for slugs, well, the current damage caused by shotguns seems to work quite well, maybe even favouring shotguns a little.
Yes, I stated that at the beginning. That's why when you mod a shotgun you should give it low migation numbers. Of course, a pistol round isn't much better in that regard. The copper jacket and shape are somewhat helpful comparatively, but nothing compared to the velocity and shape of rifle bullets and, of course, you can buy armor piercing ammo for nearly any weapon including a shotgun. I'm sure hardened buckshot is available somewhere or you could just use small ball bearings with a softer outside coating to protect the barrel.

But, you, know, lasers! It's a weapon! It's a cutting beam! It's a cool way to start your barbecue!* Amuse your cats for hours with the laser! Do away with that toaster and bread knife. The laser will slice and toast your bread at the same time!** The laser! Buy one today!

*Management takes no responsbility for injuries sustained while starting a barbecue with a 20TW ruby laser. Not for use by children under the age of 5.

**Caution! Flammable!

Are alien's reaction shots modified by weapon type? I just had a caesan with a sniper rifle reaction shot a guy with a pistol who's reaction stat was around 80... and I've seen this a couple other times as well. Can't be certain but I'm guessing right now there's no negative or positive modifiers for alien weapons? Or just no check?

Different guns have different modifiers, for 'nauts and aliens both. For example, the alien plasma pistol has a x2 reaction modifier. Having said that, the alien sniper rifle doesn't grant a bonus.

My rough testing with reactions back when it was the only way an alien was going to kill you was that it seems to be a die roll based on the alien's reaction, modified by weapon, and one other factor I couldn't determine - either TUs like in OG X-Com, or some sort of internal cooldown. I don't think you can reduce incoming fire by having a beefy reaction score, it didn't seem to make any difference when I played around (but that's far from an authoritive answer. My testing might have been bugged, flawed, or there could have been some other issue for all I know).

When I set aliens back in early 18.x pre-beta to have 100 reactions they would always get a reaction shot, but there would always be a short delay on the second reaction shot: something like moving four tiles or so. That might have changed by now, or have been the result of a bug for all I know. The only way we'll know for sure how reactions work is if a dev tells us.

Oh, yeah, and lasers are really cool. Everyone fixates on the ballistic weapons, but the future tech is where it's at.

Edited by Ol' Stinky

There is still approx a 4 tile delay per reaction shot, or just a subsequent shot.

I know you can reduce incoming reaction fire by weapon equipped, or could in 18.x, having a heavy weapon equipped and turning a corner got me smacked in the face. Reload and turn same corner with a pistol? Life is good. And living. Reload and try with heavy weapon again? dead xenonaut.

Didn't try it 100 times, but I had a lot better luck vs heavies with pistols equipped.

Problem is, this time sniper rifles, which should have a -50% or something mod for reaction fire are being a real pain, and pistols aren't cutting it.

So advancing with a shotgun or pistol (x2 reaction mods) makes enemies less likely to react? That seems odd, though I wouldn't complain.

The -50% was for old naut snipers. As of the ground battle stat reset, naut snipers have a reaction mod of x1, and alien plasma rifles went from x2 to x1.

I never noticed a difference on alien reaction shots based on the weapons my soldiers were carrying. But i did notice a BIG change when they are higher tiers, which makes a lot of sense.

On the last mission, for example, its almost impossible to move within those caesan's LOS without drawing a reaction shot, they're all top tiers, even with tons of smoke popped all over the place.

Well, a little over the edge too, when a single alien can take 6+reaction shots during our turn, so something is not quite right yet.