Well, first time I've gotten to play a build with a working Combat.shield. Seems pretty great for my pistol play style.

Anyone know the exact mechanics for it? It doesn't seem to interrupt every shot, but I'm not sure if it's been the angle of the shot, a % like cover (better when kneeling?) or maybe some of the damage bleeds through?

Can I effectively equip two of them at once and run in to draw fire?

Damn, I know it doesn't really make sense but I'd rather an 80% damage reduction from a direction than just a chance for a heavy plasma bolt to slip through the faceplate.

Also, and related to other posts about armor, I think it would actually make SENSE for the shield to reduce your sight range like the Jackal armor does, wheras the Jackal armor should really only reduce the visible arc :(

OOOOOH, you can't jump fences with a shield. I'm curious how this will work with Sentinel armor. If Sentinel armor ever works.

Oh good, I simply thought I was retarded and couldn't figure out how to jump with sentinel armour.

Does the shield have HP? Also what does the upgraded shield do?

Also,

Can I effectively equip two of them at once and run in to draw fire?

I'm totally trying this!

I'd rather they simply removed the vision restriction from the armours. Armours already have enough downsides without impeding sight range:

- Armour's got a weight penalty. This is mitigated by strength gain, but at first it means an armoured soldier needs to leave equipment back at base.

- It costs money. Even when we get some more breathing space in the geoscape, you won't be able to splash out on snazzy armour for all and sundry.

- Armour can be destroyed. Since all armour has to be produced, that means it takes up workshop time to get replacements. And given the above point, you can't afford to lose many suits of armour.

This is also the first version where I've really got to play with shields. I've got to say, they're cool as hell. They do need to have a drawback but I'd rather that if the chance of failure's removed, they don't replace it with a vision penalty. Limiting vision is a really harsh malus, and I'd rather they not go that route. Especially since like armoured guys, it's the frontliners you're going to give shields to, aka the guys who need the sight the most!

If shields were changed to not be a % of failure, I'd say it should be something like a % of damage absorbed instead. For example, they could absorb 75% of damage from the front, and 50% from the sides. That way a shield guy still wants to use cover to avoid taking damage, but is a lot sturdier than an unshielded soldier because if alien fire does get through, it won't be a one-shot.

I agree thunderGr, they do. The shields appeared briefly in an earlier build. But, I didn't recognise the suppression possibilities of the pistol until someone mentioned it here. So, it's going to make another weapon type well worth having through the game.

I wonder how they stand up to those plasma casters?

This is also the first version where I've really got to play with shields. I've got to say, they're cool as hell. They do need to have a drawback but I'd rather that if the chance of failure's removed, they don't replace it with a vision penalty. Limiting vision is a really harsh malus, and I'd rather they not go that route. Especially since like armoured guys, it's the frontliners you're going to give shields to, aka the guys who need the sight the most!

IMO, Assault Shields should be roled for assaulting UFOs and indoor combat rather than protecting scouts as they venture across open fields. A vision malus suits this perfectly.

IMO, Assault Shields should be roled for assaulting UFOs and indoor combat rather than protecting scouts as they venture across open fields. A vision malus suits this perfectly.

They're so heavy that a shield user can't really carry much. If shields are only for breaching the UFO, then they'll be not be much use for most of the map. Indoor fighting doesn't happen a whole lot.

I admit that I'm biased in favour of shields, though, since I enjoy using them and they look cool (yes, I'm shallow). I don't take a full squad of shield guys, but I always bring one or two.

Edited by Ol' Stinky
Stating for the record that shields look cool.

They're so heavy that a shield user can't really carry much.

That. You cannot rely on the shield bearers for scouting. After you spot aliens' date=' you can bring them to assault the alien's fortified position.

And, they are [b']very[/b] useful for exiting the charlie with minimal casualties. You should place them at the front line on the exit before taking off.

They're so heavy that a shield user can't really carry much.

Oh, I don't know. They can carry a pistol and several grenades, which is basically everything they need (long arms wouldn't make sense anyway). Even my rookies have no problem with carrying this much with no penalties, especially since I don't use armour at all (except buzzards).

Oh, I don't know. They can carry a pistol and several grenades, which is basically everything they need (long arms wouldn't make sense anyway). Even my rookies have no problem with carrying this much with no penalties, especially since I don't use armour at all (except buzzards).

I find that's only the case when my soldiers have had their strength pumped up after several missons. I suspect we'll either see XP gains reined in or the number of missions per tier of UFO trimmed down (I haven't played a lot of v19 HF2 yet, so the new geoscape changes might have already had this effect for all I know). Recruits and other newbloods will have to exhange offense for defense, meaning that powerful shield users aren't expendable. I lost a high-ranking shield to a lucky harridan sniper shot, and man, it really hurt having to downgrade to a newbie shield. He could carry something like a shield, a pistol and one grenade without lowering his already naff TU pool.