Experimental Build V19 available (instructions within)

I have a recommendation:

Should we have two different bug report sections? Like, one for the Stable, one for the Experimental? I mean, there's a lot of bug reports coming in from Steam, and they'll keep coming in like mad until a new Stable (v19) comes out. If we have a Stable bug report section, and an Experimental bug report section, then the "useless" (as in, not pertinent to the current build being worked on) reports coming in from the Stable players won't clog up the more useful Experimental bug reports.

Ideas?

Agree with the new section, but probably up to Matthew eh.

Also getting the reported crash upon completing first Seb light scout. "Xenonauts has stopped working..."

Reloaded an in-combat save, and upon completing the second time, it worked just fine. Odd.

Ok, for those of you experiencing the crash - it happens whenever you end a ground combat mission while there is smoke (such as from a rocket or grenade) on the map. Probably caused by some of the recent FOW/smoke changes, as soon as we get a fix I'll upload it on Steam.

If you want to keep playing the experimental until then avoid grenades, rockets or anything that causes smoke/fire - remember you can always switch back to the old branch via steam in the meantime if it's too annoying.

Setting up a separate forum for experimental bug reports is a good idea - I don't seem to have permissions to do it, but we'll set one up a bit later and move reports from the existing bug forum into there.

Also, please ignore the "AdvancedStart" mod - it was something I was using for testing and included it by accident. I'll remove it from Steam next update.

Edited by Aaron

I'm still seeing lizards occasionally use burst fire after being suppressed just on my first mission. It's 40 TUs to use burst with an alien plasma pistol' date=' so it shouldn't be happening.[/quote']

Burst firing with plasma rifles now too while suppressed.

Well...since I don't really want to mess with code...Can't I just wait a couple of turn after I fire the rocket so the smoke goes out?

That should work. Had my Ground Battle crashing due to using grenades, so I just took the Autosave (I had used a lot of grenades in that battle before), did without throwing a final grenade, waited a couple of turns (so any remaining smoke would vanish), finished the battle and this time it worked.

i can confirm that it still crashes just had an terror mission in stockholm, no explosives used it was against an ALL andron cruiser no smoke nades and stuff ...walls shot/destroyed 3 civilians were killed, lots of interior ( house/store ) chairs tables household items destroyed none of em caused smoke also outside benches/park fences destroyed = crashed upon exiting the mission somefing else must be causing the crashes.

> no mods used.

Just ran my first mission, no crash. Since I was aware not to bring explosive type weapons it allowed me to test other reasons why it would crash for some folks ... Here's the scenario (which I have the save game of first tactical turn if anyone wants to try it) :

Scout UFO grounded, farm, daytime.

Squaddies ... 6R, 1S, 1H ... Note, I didn't take pistols or grenades, only brought extra ammo and a medpack.

Only change to any files was the weapons.xml change to fix the medpack , great find (btw, the original medpacks were using 100 values for both medpacks in steam stable and the 50 pack never worked right, since changing the value to 50 it behaves properly).

Anyway, I killed all the aliens (grey types in maroon suits) and only destroyed the two consoles in the UFO they were hiding behind.

I hope that helps ... My next test is using explosives, I know it should cause a crash but I'm curious if the new effects cause crashes for players with different graphic cards. I think we might help Aaron/Chris if we include the scenario items I posted above, perhaps there might be some common trait in our crashes ... Maybe someday they'll add a crash log, that would help! ... Other tests would be to slowly include other weapon type in the inventory and night battles.

Thanks for a great game! Looking forward to the next build.

EDIT : ... One last suggestion is something I'm going to do ... We should save the game during the tactical battle around the end of the battle ... So, just before you toast that last alien (If you think it's the last alien) save the game. That could provide the last minute snapshot of the game just before it crashes. I'm also starting to believe it's a autosave problem where like some players mentioned that perhaps something is missing when it tries to save.

Edited by CellNav

Also, please ignore the "AdvancedStart" mod - it was something I was using for testing and included it by accident. I'll remove it from Steam next update.

It appears it wasn't working anyway. I made a test mod in a new folder and changed the starting cash to 2 million but no change.

In the future, can you get the mods folder working so players can make their own "hot fixes" without over writing the original assets?

Thanks!

Temporary fix for the smoke crash:

http://www.xenonauts.com/weapons_gc.xml

Updated weapons file (drop into assets folder) that removes fire and smoke from grenades, rockets and alien weapons. Note: I left it for smoke and stun grenades because they're often extremely important to have, but if you use them, make sure not to end the mission before smoke dissipates. Which means that you can not use stun grenades to capture the last alien on the map or you will get a crash.

EDIT: Stinky did the same thing at almost exactly the same time, so credit goes to him, too.

Edited by Solver