Whoa friendly AI units have upgraded weapons?

So i made it to January on normal difficulty and a terror mission occurs in south america. well i make it there and the friendly allied troops are using LASER RIFLES!!!!! whoa not only i was in awe but i'm considering killing them and stealing their weapons(if i can.)

is this a bug or do allied ground troops eventually somehow get their own weapons?

Seriously...You can just steal they're weapons after they are knocked out flat??And keep Hold of them....Wow...And this ins't even an exploit...Maybe there should be a meter for stole weapons from local forces...:)

Also in what month do they upgrade?I made it to December now...One more question...Do they get plasma weapons as well?

OFF TOPIC:

Can you guys tell me something while were here?

Sathra told me that to get the even more later tech you need to down a landingship and take it's core...

As I've seens multiple of these but couldn't down them(flew over America,Didn't the base fully setup)...

So later I've seen on the radar a Cruiser...that landed...I got my men...arrived at the Ufo...beat it...take all the resources out...

And then I get a massive spam of research...New interceptor,new armor...Does it still make a difference to capture a landing ship?

Edited by MisterLock

Yea to steal their weapon you knock them out (or kill them or wait for them to perish) walk over and loot their body.(stand over use the inventory screen place item in backpack, that is how i did it in xcom original if for some reason i could not finish the mission and needed to leave). as for What month they upgrade? it might be January as that is when i noticed it had happened and it happens in most places. I shot a ufo down over the middle east and saw an Afgan with a laser weapon....he had a nice nap. Not sure if it will happen to the farmers.

as for if they ever make it to plasma i have no idea. i'm just trying to survive the air fight. not sure if i will ever see spring again.

i have so far gained 12 laser rifles and 3 scatter lasers. each rifle is worth 25k to be sold and for some reason the scatter laser is only worth 1000. one time a laser rifle had turned into a combat shotgun only worth 1000. Still sold it.

Yeah I quite like having the NPC's upgrade their gear.

I do think it's kinda sad that we have to discuss the finer tactics involved in stealing this gear from the locals, as the full funded ant-alien invasion force doesn't have the money to make the gear to keep 'em up to date... hmmmmm

Yeah...I do think that the money balance is kinda bad righr now...Like at the start of the game...You need to build a base...Here have 500 k $ to defend the entire planet!...When an advanced airplane costs 400 k and last a hell of a long while to build in vanilla(without editing the XML's files)

Like I always thought that When the supossed project is about saving the world that you would give everything you have...Hell...You wouldn't be like...Here is 100 k $ of our monthly funding...After that you imediatelly use up that money on new gear for soldiers and you are broke again...Having no money for any new manufacture...

I think (and this is just my personal experience) that new laser guns in the hands of locals is triggered by your research of plasma weapons. At least those two things always seemed to happen around the same time. It would make sense if they also upgraded to plasma when you got MAG, so they are always one tier behind you. (They don't, though. They stay at laser the whole game.)