Troops need to see farther

I noticed the troops are only able to see a short distance compared to the aliens. My troops end up getting blue balls

of death from aliens that aren't really that far away, yet cant be seen. I end up more often than not having to move a person towards the direction of the fire until they find the alien, which never seems to work out good for him/her. I completely understand this at night, but during the day it would be nice to put a heavy gunner on a road or something, and he actually be able to see down the road for example.

Also, it would be awesome if you could put night vision goggles in the squads backpacks that they could equip during night missions to increase the visual range. There could even be upgrades for these later on just like grenades. It fits in with cold war era tech as well. Just a thought.

I agree with this and am about to investigate if it can be modded. They do cut down distance at night but its too short most times. My snipers shouldn't necessarily have to use spotters but its at least an interesting tactical move. If sniper hasn't moved that turn then perhaps they should have a longer view length.

you can change sight distances very easily to your liking.

If you want to give it a go you need to edit the following:

-Armours_gc - This have the armour values for xenonauts and the sight distance for each armour.

-AIprops- Everything to do with aliens stats is here. Change sight distance for each race and all variants of that race will apply the same sight distance.

The original Xcom allowed a 20 square view during the day and a 7 at night for humans, but 20 day and not for aliens, that is why night missions were so scary. Just a thought if your setting up your own site distances. That might be a good model to follow so that you can keep the night time fear factor and still see at some distance under good conditions. In fact I would say maybe make aliens 21 at day and just so you get an occasional shot from no where during the day to keep you on your toes but not enough to wreck your day.

That is if lightgemini is correct about be able to set your on site distances, I have not tried it.

I like the fear of the unknown when those blue balls of death come in from nowhere. For me, the biggest part of the game is the mystery of the aliens that makes it great. Even for the day missions, I don't mind the distance; but I did wish there was a way to get armor or equipment that made it possible to see further or at least the unarmored vision... but since I haven't gotten far in the game there might just be such an armor or equipment. Otherwise, I've always got two poor saps in my Dropship who's expressed position is point man, or dead man. :)

I dont mind being shot from BVR, but its to much in the current build. AI units seem to shoot from across the map from BVR, as when I chase after then in my turn they are almost always the length of a field away which is a fair distance. It even seems that at times the AI deliberately choses to go BVR to get this "wonky" shooting.