Advanced balistics weapons

It seems strange to me that in the game you go straight from human balistics weapons to laser based weapons, i would make more sense im my mind to have a step inbetween were you get human-alien hybrid balistics weapons, things suck as replacing the barels with alien material to alow you to use more refined explosive powder to push harder more penetrating projectiles out of the barrel... if this was done, im my mins, you wouldnt even need to make new moldls, you can just up the stats of the weaponry

That in mind a rail gun would be a nice step between ballistic and laser weapons. They actually exist too, its just that the last ones seen since WWII were so big that it was like mounting a train on to a battle ship. It is also the plot behind the move Eraser http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116213/ . But consider that they could be enhanced by the alien beam technology on the way to understanding lasers and that they have an EMP effect caused by the power magnetic forces placed on the projectile and it could make them better against electronic enemies where lasers are better against fleshy enemies that burn. just a thought.

Well the mass drivers in tier four are pretty much the same thing.

Would be a little odd to have them at two separate tiers.

I also prefer having a human derived tech as the pinnacle of the Xenonauts development instead of a copy of alien plasma weapons.

Well the mass drivers in tier four are pretty much the same thing.

Would be a little odd to have them at two separate tiers.

I also prefer having a human derived tech as the pinnacle of the Xenonauts development instead of a copy of alien plasma weapons.

I have not played that far yet so I was unaware that a rail-gun like weapon was already in the game. I commented based only one a ballistic to laser transition. But if they are already there then the subject seems mute, as ballistic research does not end but is adapted by lasers and then becomes something better. I could see an advantage to a mass driver (rail gun like weapon) over a lasers in regards to inconsistencies of lasers heat absorption, effectiveness vs reflective services, and the natural dispersion of light where as a mass driver would perhaps be more consistent because it is impact based from the round. I had actually considered this more after my post. I had wandered if it would make more since for rail guns to come after lasers as they could in many ways be considered a superior weapon.

I am not sure it makes since for humans derived tech to drive the pinnacle of research as you state. I would maybe have made it tear 3 but that is subjective and merely my opinion. Not only that but X-com:EU tends to agree with you as the plasma weapons end game include the Alloy Cannon and Plasma Sniper rifle which are upgrades to human tech instead of new alien tech and really they are the 2 most deadly weapons. It is almost a disappointment that aliens don't copy human designs end game because of them, though I do admit they would wipe your guys out end game due to superior numbers and that would suck, lol.

http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons_%28XCOM:_Enemy_Unknown%29 <-- for X-com:EU weapon strength reference

Level 4 is advanced ballistics. Also, you'd be very surprised how well you can do with Level 1 ballistics if you soldiers are experience, I was.

I can produce plasma weapons but all of my ground troops (apart from a couple of heavy weapons) are still using balistic weapons, i think people missively under rate them in the game

A rail gun projectile is accelerated through electromagnets much as a plasma ball, so there's not much of a difference, i guess a rail gun would be much easier to manufacture and lighter them a plasma, balance the weight with a really good ammo count. With added effect that slugs could be just slugs, or hollow carriers with poisons, acids, or even my wife's cooking.

Now, can we have a toxi-gun, please, pleeeeease????????????????????????????? (Source: X-com Apocalypse)