windowed mode/ fullscreen

hi goldhawk,

at first, thank you so much for xenonauts! i love to play it.

i bought it from steam the last days. so a really anoying bug to report is fullscreen/ window mode.

i tried everything to play the game in window mode, but it doesn't work so far. i tried to change the options for the resolution and i activate the window mode in the xenonauts launcher window before starting the game. nothing happened.

so please fix this, i run my os on dual screen and i really want to play xenonauts in window mode.

thanks and keep doing such a great work :)

I have this same problem.

(running dual monitor setup, extended desktop, nvidia graphics card)

1. I bring up Xenonauts in steam library.

2. Click "play", loading the "Xenonaut Launcher"

3. Ensure the "Run in Window" is checked and 1920x1080 resolution is selected, click "Play Xenonauts"

4. Xenonauts launches but in what seems to be fullscreen mode, in window you can usually freely move your cursor seamlessly in and out of the window.

Edited by goodoldxelos

The game engine is dated and doesn't work too well with some things.

Windowed mode is one of those things.

The only way to get it to work is to select a resolution that is smaller than your desktop resolution in both directions.

I use 1680x1050 native for my desktop.

On the drop down menu Xenonauts will only work in windowed mode from 1600x900 and below.

Try picking a resolution that is a little smaller than your desktop and see if that helps.

I just got a new monitor, old one was 1680x1050, and I played in 1600x900 windowed fine.

New monitor is 1920x1080, and no matter what resolution I try to run the game in windowed mode, it always goes full screen. I tried 1600x900, 1440x900, 1280x960, 1280x720, I tried unchecking and rechecking the windowed mode box, I tried unchecking the windowed mode box, starting the game, quitting, then checking the windowed mode box and trying again to see if that would 'reset' it. I tried restarting steam, I tried restarting my computer.

I have not yet tried re-installing the game. I'm giving up for now, I may re-install it later if I decide to try again.

Not too sure what brand the old monitor was, as I gave it to a friend. New one is a BenQ E2400HD, if that matters any.

Not sure what other information I can provide that may shed some light on why this is happening.

It is working for me just fine. Are you using dual or more monitors and try to run the game on a non-primary monitor maybe?

To start the game in windowed mode you have to start the game in smaller resolution than your native one, the settings you use should be fine.

One more question, after changing the resolution to smaller than your native, is the resolution in game changes, or is it always starts in the native resolution?

Same issue for me, 1920 by 1080 as my main monitor, 4 monitors total. Attempting to have it run at 1600x1200 just makes it a distorted 1600x1200 full screen. AMD Radeon HD 6900 series video card. Would be nice if it worked since I like to forum/watch shows during turns.

It is working for me just fine. Are you using dual or more monitors and try to run the game on a non-primary monitor maybe?

To start the game in windowed mode you have to start the game in smaller resolution than your native one, the settings you use should be fine.

One more question, after changing the resolution to smaller than your native, is the resolution in game changes, or is it always starts in the native resolution?

Assuming your post was directed at me...

I made sure it was running on my primary monitor. One thing I did after I posted that was disable the 2nd monitor just to make sure that wasn't the issue.

When changing the resolutions, it went full screen in the changed resolution (example; native res is 1920x1080, which desktop WAS set to, xeno settings set to 1440x900 with windowed mode checked ON, game started in 1440x900 fullscreen), so it WAS applying the changes in resolution, just wasn't going in windowed mode.

I re-installed the game yesterday as well, and it works fine now. Still would have been good to find out why it did that though, as it may be an odd bug somewhere. I'll fool around with swapping monitors and stuff later today and see if I can simulate the problem again.

Had you installed any new hardware or updated any graphics drivers since the first install?

Was the new monitor added after the install for example.

Just curious, maybe the game was trying to use an old driver for the graphics card or monitor or something.