Wheee, after the annoyance of having to reassign all my troops to a new base to get in charlie range of an alien base, I was immediately hit by a wave of UFOs right over my original base.

I had 3 elite soldiers left with no armor and only a few laser weapons to take on a sebillian Landing ship in late December.

Took 3 reloads during the mission, but the 3 took that @#%^ apart. All with heavy scatter laser things and 2 with a laser pistol backup (only had 2 onhand).

God pistols are so amazing. So incredibly amazing.

Favorite mission so far.

TBQH I'm very close to going full LMG type with pistol type backup. Maybe a few rifles with shotguns in their bags for scouting with the current meta. That might change if the enemies stop all carrying heavy plasma guns themselves.

Best thing to note about pistols, that improved reaction time PREVENTS THE ENEMIES FROM REACTION SHOTTING YOU.

Best weapon evar. Plus you can just pop the heavy plasma out of your bag after you run up in their face and pewpewpewppewwpewpew.

No officer, I have not been drinking too mush. There is no such thing as too mush.

Actually for some somewhat useful information, I turned a corner in the control room area with the heavy scatter laser thing, and was promptly face-melted. Reloaded, swapped to the pistol, turned the corner, then re-swapped to the scatter laser and did my own face melting. Stupid lizard.

I remember shotguns being really useful. I do. My top two Xeno-killers were my assault troops. Back on the old industrial maps, that would have been.

These days, any map with decent amounts of space just leaves them looking silly. So, reduced to back up weapons. Would be good to get some larger building maps in there, to promote that kind of soldier.

Yeah, pistols are still great in alien bases and just for turning corners in general. And once you have awesome troops the 20 TU to swap it back to your back pack for a nice 40 TU autoshot to the face after 60 TUs of movement is a beautiful thing.

So maybe switching weapons should trigger a reaction check?

Based on the weapon you swap to rather than the one you change from.

Swapping to a big heavy weapon in plan sight of the enemy might get you shot but swapping to a pistol would be less likely.

Amusing note, as pointed out elsewhere, if you run across an enemy plasma caster, you can just shoot the ground around them a bunch with the pistol to suppress them, then train up reaction fire with the pistols since they can only run away next round.

Amusing note, as pointed out elsewhere, if you run across an enemy plasma caster, you can just shoot the ground around them a bunch with the pistol to suppress them, then train up reaction fire with the pistols since they can only run away next round.

Do you have to yell 'Dance alien scum dance!' or is that optional?