Infinite 'Hidden Movement' temporary fix

I managed to "cure" my game of the infinite "Hidden Movement" bug by attaching a disassembler to the game and at some point inverting the zero flag register. If people with that specific bug are interested, I can try to fix their savegames.

Please follow this procedure:

1. Upload your savegame here
  2. Reply to this post with the following information:
    • The link to your uploaded savegame (if it's not on my mediafire drop)
    • Version of the game
    • Mods if any

Super experimental fix notice:

I made a tool to break the infinite loop. It might crash the game or it might fix the problem.

Use at your own risk. Backup your savegames.

Download the fix. You might need the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86).

Look for repeating message as shown below and press Apply fix (you might have to do it several times):

8djgk.jpg

Edited by BeornBlackclaw

Is there a specific instruction after which you invert ZF?

Well I have a breakpoint set where I apply the "fix":

e5yfj_thumb.jpg

Whenever I see the game looping over that part of the code, I set ZF to 1 instead of 0 and it breaks the loop. I can't say it is without side effects because I have no idea... I just did it to my savegame because you're kind of buggered with an Iron Man game... Sometimes I have to do it for more than one turn until the conditions provoking the bug stop occurring.

See the first post for a tool to fix it yourself.

Edited by BeornBlackclaw

@ BeornBlackClaw

IMPRESSIVE.

You impress me, and I can tell you I am rarely so much impressed.

Your fix totally worked.

I applied it to a v19 Experimental Steam which had a problem during a terror mission.

We can suspect a Reaper to have caused this.

Further explanation about how to run it :

- Download it from first post. (careful about the file host, that would spawn also a wrong download button)

- Deploy it in your game root folder.

- You may launch the tool EXE even while playing.

- You'll see a "Found the Xenonauts process" message. Click "Apply fix" once you are in the Hidden Movement loop. And here, it will work.

Wonderful job.

You just saved a number of Ironman save games, and also helped reduce of the pressure on the bugs, and made the whole Xenonauts dev team more able to deal with things.

I tried the self fix and it wouldn't detect any repeating pattern, it only showed.

Debug message

Found teh Xenonauts process:

Windows handle: 0x0006065C

Process ID: 0x00001688

Code pointer: 0x002ED531

So I uploaded it instead and hope you can fix it, I would be very grateful.

I didn't get a link to the saved game I uploaded. It only asked me if I wanted to upload another after the upload was complete.

It was probably something simple that I missed and I apologize for being stupid.

The version is: V18 STABLE 30/05/2013

Mods: Only the community map pack version 2.

I tried the self fix and it wouldn't detect any repeating pattern, it only showed.

Debug message

Found teh Xenonauts process:

Windows handle: 0x0006065C

Process ID: 0x00001688

Code pointer: 0x002ED531

So I uploaded it instead and hope you can fix it, I would be very grateful.

I didn't get a link to the saved game I uploaded. It only asked me if I wanted to upload another after the upload was complete.

It was probably something simple that I missed and I apologize for being stupid.

The version is: V18 STABLE 30/05/2013

Mods: Only the community map pack version 2.

It's alright I get an email notification when someone uploads a file. However I get a crash when I try to load your savegame (with or without the Community map pack v2 mod). Could you upload your mods folder too please?

It's alright I get an email notification when someone uploads a file. However I get a crash when I try to load your savegame (with or without the Community map pack v2 mod). Could you upload your mods folder too please?

Now I have uploaded it.

By mods folder I hope you mean assets. But I noticed that the assets folder is huge so I only included the files that are supposedly changed by my map pack that I installed.

Which is the maps folder and the tiles folder. Those are the only two maps that should be different from the default game.

If you need more than this, then I will upload it too. Sorry if I'm making it more difficult than it has to be.

Very thankful even if it isn't salvageable.

EDIT: To clarify , I couldn't find a mods folder in the steamapps/common/Xenonauts/assets folder

Edited by Unjust

Now I have uploaded it.

By mods folder I hope you mean assets. But I noticed that the assets folder is huge so I only included the files that are supposedly changed by my map pack that I installed.

Which is the maps folder and the tiles folder. Those are the only two maps that should be different from the default game.

If you need more than this, then I will upload it too. Sorry if I'm making it more difficult than it has to be.

Very thankful even if it isn't salvageable.

EDIT: To clarify , I couldn't find a mods folder in the steamapps/common/Xenonauts/assets folder

Sorry, I assumed you installed the mod through the launcher which creates a "mods" folder to be able to easily uninstall mods. I'll take a look with your files.

EDIT: Still crashing be it on Steam or stand-alone and with or without the mod.

Edited by BeornBlackclaw

Sorry, I assumed you installed the mod through the launcher which creates a "mods" folder to be able to easily uninstall mods. I'll take a look with your files.

EDIT: Still crashing be it on Steam or stand-alone and with or without the mod.

I tried the fix anyways even tho it didn't detect a loop and it solved the issue. I'm sorry, I should have tried that first of all, but I figured that it wouldn't do anything as it didn't detect a loop.

Thanks anyways for trying to help, much obliged.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g6bf5801f1147e3a19993195153fee62df68483040

is my file.

I am using Steam Xenonauts (NOT the experimental version), just the current regular Steam version. V18 STABLE 30/05/2013

I havent installed any mods, but, I did edit the files to make some aircraft cheaper, etc.

I am on a terror mission with my A-Team, and am at infinite hidden movement.

Thank you very much for the fix, the first file you mentioned in post 20 is mine. I can not use the fix, I am using wineskin to run the application on a mac and I dont really know how to run it inside my steam wrapper. The savegame worked for the turn but as soon as i ended it, it is the same infinite loop.