Relationship between distance and chance to hit

This seems very weird to me. I just tried out moving closer to an enemy with one of my soldiers with an assault rifle in burst mode and the percentage stayed the same.

Then I moved closer with a sniper and at the same amount of precision, the chance to hit dropped from 79% to 39%:

before1z.jpg

after1h.jpg

Are those likely bugs or is it supposed to be like that? If the latter is the case, can anybody tell me why?

Edited by sh4dow

A small distance change wouldn't have much of an effect on accuracy.

Probably got lost in the rounding of the numbers for display.

As Sathra says though the heavy flagged weapons give a pretty significant reduction to accuracy in the turn you move so that is far more noticeable.

Oh yeah, most weapons have a set accuracy for most of their effective range, that only changes when you get within 8 tiles or outside of effective range (and various stuffs in the line of fire).

That's my experience though.

If there is one then it is hard coded as nothing is listed in the xml files.

There is also nothing in the accuracy calculation Chris posted on the wiki to suggest a minimum range setting.

I suggested that multiple range settings may be nice a while back and Chris said he thought it added more complication for little gain.

No mention was made of a penalty to short range sniper rifle accuracy then either.

In fact a flat accuracy increase was recently added to all shots fired under 8 tiles in order to work around a problem with short range misses deviating wildly from the target so coupling that with a penalty seems a little odd.

Any chance you could locate the post you mention?

I would be interested to see if there is something like that in the game as it could be a useful mechanic to exploit for other purposes.

Mistaken maybe, much less harsh word than wrong :P

I was hoping something had been added that I missed, wouldn't be the first time.

One of the reasons I wanted multiple ranges in the game was to help balance weapons.

Sniper rifles can be hugely powerful at range but useless in close.

Gives a reason to use pistols if nothing else.