[v8.5 Ground Combat] Soldier moves without turning

tried posting this already, but the internet ate it =[

basically with the last 4 AP I can occasionally move some of my soldiers. Now this would be all right if they were walking forward, but occasionally it does it so that the last movement they do is sideways, as in the character is moving forward, and then at the end takes a step sideways (without turning) and ends up with 0 AP left at the end of it.

I did some testing on this issue before the holidays but forgot to report on my findings. The gist of it is as follows: if a unit has the action points to move to an adjoining square (four for cardinal directions, six for diagonal movement), but not enough to change its facing accordingly, they will traverse without turning first.

not sure if it is just moving him one tile with 4 AP, or if it is the last move of a long walk...

In my experience, the former is accurate: if a unit has enough action points to both turn and move a distance of at least one square, it will turn (and pay the associated AP cost) first, thus barring it from making any illegal move.

Sure thing. As I obviously struggled to communicate the issue through words only, here's an illustrated example.

moonwalker1.jpg

Fig. 1: Meet Corporal Bogdanov, our resident moonwalker, whose action points have been brought down to six for the purposes of this demonstration. After a good, long turn of frolicking in the rubble, he'd dearly like to step over to the square indicated by the pointer, but alas, a 135-degree turn and a diagonal move would cost a total of nine action points.

moonwalker2.jpg

Fig. 2: Thanks to some magical manoeuvres à la Michael Jackson, the good Corporal makes it to the adjacent square, anyway!

moonwalker1.jpg

moonwalker2.jpg

moonwalker1.jpg.26ced749b077526f29f7cffa

moonwalker2.jpg.c132f67af76f0c6b2bde62c0